Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aggressive Turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not an aggressive driver, yet I am getting dinged for aggressive turning. Since there isn’t a time feature I’m assuming it’s probably accelerating on left and right turns. But it seems so sensitive…does anyone have success in getting this into the green? I don’t want to have to turn corners at single digit speeds as that is more of a traffic hazard. But any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Gonna have to switch your driving style to granny mode. :D

I noticed it’s normally when you accelerate out of a turn or when you enter a turn at high speeds or what the g-meter thinks is high speeds. I was able to get perfect scores after driving a lot slower around all corners and turns.

Reactions: taumax
Gonna have to switch your driving style to granny mode. :D

I noticed it’s normally when you accelerate out of a turn or when you enter a turn at high speeds or what the g-meter thinks is high speeds. I was able to get perfect scores after driving a lot slower around all corners and turns.
BOO! I was really hoping that wouldn't be the case. May just have to deal with 1 section of poor score. Because dang it just isn't safe to linger in intersections so you don't trip the G meter.

Luckily in California the Safety Score isn't used for Tesla insurance rates.....yet. But I see using the Safety Score will just increase rates because the algorithm doesn't factor things like need to accelerate quickly to avoid an accident or hard turning to get out of the way of a drunk driver or animal in the road. Tesla claims good drivers will be rewarded with lower rates, maybe if you drive like you're 90 years old!

And now everyone with Tesla insurance is having their premiums increased because Tesla mistakenly gave everyone the employee group discount and is correcting it. How did they not catch their mistake early on?!

Reactions: taumax
I am not an aggressive driver, yet I am getting dinged for aggressive turning. Since there isn’t a time feature I’m assuming it’s probably accelerating on left and right turns. But it seems so sensitive…does anyone have success in getting this into the green? I don’t want to have to turn corners at single digit speeds as that is more of a traffic hazard. But any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Get better insurance.

This is one of my bigger complaints. I have to do a few U-Turns depending on where i am going. I even U-Turn into my driveway as I am the corner unit. I get dinged for Aggressive turns a few times a month now. On the plus side, a few of these don't really impact my score too much, and they go away after 30 days. Another issue I have is hard breaking. Seems this is any time I step on the break instead of using Regen braking to slow down. Such as when a light turns yellow as i am approaching and regen breaking is not enough to stop in time. Again, doesn't ding safety score that bad.

check out this page. Safety Score Beta for calucations and recommendations

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I was not sure of the exact speed, hard to believe I was going 18 mph. I will keep that in mind and watch out for reoccurrence.
It sure did not feel like I was driving aggressively
Yea, I agree that when I had the score, it seemed sensitive. I never got a ding by doing a u-turn no matter how aggressive I was, but on the round-abouts is where it didn't like me.

Slight tangent - my experience with the "Safety Score" system suggests a very simple, and arbitrary set of thresholds on a few easy dimensions. Exceeding 0.X g's for more than a second. Braking harder than Y g's, ever. The thresholds and measurements don't seem especially thoughtful or nuanced for a company that prides itself in being data driven.

It makes me wonder: Have they done -any- analysis if what they're measuring and the thresholds they've chosen correlate to actual safety?

I mean, there are times when it is -safer- to use the brakes to avoid getting into a dangerous situation on the road. Pulling 0.3 g's on a highway onramp does not likely correlate to being a dangerous driver. And Tesla -has- the rich data sources to do so much more.

I hope that maybe they'll eventually roll meaningful advances in the safety score system, driven by hard field data of who actually gets in crashes. That'd be cool.