Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ah yes. Tesla service at it again in the East.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
South coast California and my saga started June 9th with exact same sequence. Except I am local so when I had to go pick up the car, it was no big deal. But I have been delayed 7-9 days And each time the day or two before it’s pushed out. I also get an email showing status of my missing part. At first the emails said it was ordered 9 jun... then 15 June, then 30 June, then 24 July. I complained that it appears my prefer is being cancelled and my part is going to whoever is ahead of me at the service station. No real response to that. At first it was the harness. Now it’s the screen that is not available. They did offer to install with my old screen and take $250 off the price. So I wait. And wait. I am now looking at 8 Aug...

First world problem... but still a pain.

Now if it were to be a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or any other manufacturers first thing would have been we apologize for your inconvenience and let us get you a rental or loaner on us.

Part of the difference though is the dealership model that Tesla doesn't do. Dealerships compete with one another, even within manufacturer, so customer service stands out more as they are actively trying to make you a repeat customer and recommend them to friends/family.

Tesla simply doesn't seem to care.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr and raggedy
They do know but the cause of the problem is their CEO's ego. He needs to get over himself, admit he stinks at running service, and hire someone to replace Jon. Tesla President of sales and service leaves, Elon Musk takes over his responsibilities - Electrek
My theory is they are using all the parts for new cars and don't keep any for service. I'm only 30 minutes from service and waiting for parts almost a week for a damaged pump and line for battery coolant. I have a loaner so it's not a HUGE deal, but I am driving an S and miss my Model 3. The features are in different places and sometime "act" differently which gets scary in autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I used to think so, but Model S production numbers are down alot from where they used to be and plummeting sales numbers should increase service times if all they needed was more availability. They aren't going into new cars either.

Right now I’m not going to name the service center I’m dealing with in hopes they will clear their name, but this has got to stop. The company needs to heavily review internal processes of how parts are handled and appointments are scheduled.

I made my original appointment on June 10, for the MCU1 to MCU2 swap. I was told they would arrive on time- as I dropped my original appointment for the FSD only install onto existing MCU1 HW.

So they end up telling me the part is something like a week late and to reschedule... so I do and of course the App only lets me choose a date two weeks or more away. Whatever. I schedule it.

Two weeks go by and still no part. (I also need a headlight assembly swapped... my 13th replacement)
So they tell me to reschedule again... I do.,, and once again I’m pushed two weeks out.
So my 3rd appointment rolls around and they say “Hi unfortunately the part isn’t going to be here by Friday but it will be here Saturday! So if you’d like just drop your car off and we will get it installed Monday!”
At this point it is further in the process than I’ve been so I make the 3 hour drive at 4am to get my car delivered. They gave me a loner locked in chill mode (bullshit) and then say it may be this Wednesday before it’s finished... okay that’s cool just get it done.

NOW this morning (Tuesday) I got a text message reply after asking if my parts came in Saturday like I had been told (and figured I was lied to about) and low and behold yes! IT WAS A LIE, and now they would like me to cancel and reschedule for after August 3rd knowing damn well that their appointments are constantly backed up 2 weeks at a time and I won’t be able to schedule it till after August 14th most likely.
Oh and I would need to drive three hours, pick up my car, then wait that two weeks just to repeats the whole process.

SO great guys. So so great.
It's the COVID thing. Everything is on hold or slow. If many times you don't succeed, name names. Good luck!

My 2015 S has been sitting at the SC for 2 weeks. MCU 1 failed. Awaiting MCU 2 parts with should arrive next week. No loner, not expected. But with the widespread, documented, NHTSA open investigation, of the MCU failures, it seem it would be prudent to stock replacement MCU’s throughout the US. 3 weeks to get the car back on the road is unacceptable.

Was planning on purchasing a Y for my wife this fall. We took a test drive & loved the car. It had body fit issues though! With all the body misfits posted here, and the hurdles to get repaired on a “brand new 60K vehicle”, we are going to wait awhile till Tesla builds a couple hundred thousand Y’s.

Considering how bad service has gotten, unfortunately I’ve stopped promoting Tesla to my contacts & coworkers & I’m honest with them. It’s a fantastic car, but the expectations & service, you will be disappointed with. I’m not going to lie, and I’m not going to put my reputation with my comrades on the line for a car company which is turned into a nightmare where service & collision repairs are made. My wife is not interested now in the Y considering what I’ve been dealing with on my S. So we will keep her ICE for awhile.

Those reading this, don’t be disheartened. A Tesla is so much better than any other car by far. But don’t expect to pick up the phone & talk to someone when you have a problem. You will have to have patience for a reply on the mobile app, and much more patience waiting on parts. Parts....it’s Elon’s downfall, failure to promote his dream.

Reactions: GazUK67 and 2101Guy
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
I also had a similar problem (rear drive unit failure in a 3) with a service location (hint: Dania Beach, FL) and some of us have had similar problems. I understand the delay in getting parts, but not returning phone calls is not acceptable. However, part of the problem is that the demand is so great for new cars that Tesla service is struggling to keep up with service demand. With the rapidly increasing number of Teslas in SW Florida, they badly need to, and likely will, open a service center in SW Florida (Naples, Ft. Myers). However, everthing was covered under warranty and Tesla corporate rented me a nice car and paid for Uber during the entire process. It is a machine and stuff does occasionally happen. So, although service may be temporarily better with longer established companies such BMW, Mercedes, etc., Tesla is still the best car on the road, it is a quality product, electric cars are the future of the automotive industry, Tesla is years ahead in technology, and most of us prefer to drive Teslas and tolerate the growth issues. Competition from other new electric vehicles (Mustang, Audi, etc.) will also drive improved Tesla service. Overall, Tesla has been a great experience and I choose to hang in there.

And shipping cars from the factory that have obvious defects is putting undue strain on the Service teams. If the factory wasn't shipping bad cars, Service would have a lot more bandwidth to do their actual job of fixing things that break during use. But Wall Street only cares about cars built/delivered, not Customer Satisfaction, parts backlog, or service wait times.