Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning system strength (in general)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in an extremely humid and hot area in NC - how does the Model Y A/C system keep up with cooling a cabin after sitting in the sun? I'm used to Lexus A/C's which were decent and older American cars A/C systems are superb. Recently got an Audi Q5 which is weak in the hot weather.

How does the Model Y fair? I know I heard some complaints on FB groups. I would be getting ceramic tint all around as well.

Reactions: journey.w.vic
You can't really compare the new system's to the old ones, they are crap by that comparison as the new refrigerant is just less capable in it's use:

The results of this study have shown that the cooling capacity of R1234yf AAC system is significantly lower (between 5 to 25 %) than R134a system. In the experiment, the power of the compressor is slightly lower (up to 11 %) for refrigerant R1234yf compared to R134a inside the AAC system. Finally, the experimental results reveal that, under the same operating conditions, the COP of R1234yf AAC system is always lower than with R134a (14.5 % on average).

That said, if you remote start and let it run in automatic it should keep you comfortable if you aren't extremely picky about it.

Reactions: BeeGood
I've got no complains in our Vegas heat with tinted windows and sunshade in the summer (compared to any other car I've had here). I will say if you wait to turn the system on until you get into the car, you will get some hot air in your face longer than other cars. Just start it before you get in if it's hot.

Reactions: alexcue and BeeGood
I think the A/C system is absolutely incredible... no complaints whatsoever. I live in Miami, which is certainly far more humid and hot than anywhere in NC.

I've got ceramic and crystalline tints + the roof shade in summer months.

Between keeping the "overheat protection" on and pre-conditioning car before I get in, I'm rarely, if ever, uncomfortable. To boot, I've slept in the car a number of nights using the "camp mode" feature. Its more than comfortable.

Parroting others, but yeah, the AC isn’t as great as older cars (our 2005 Toyota Sienna has amazing AC compared to the M3). But, you can mitigate it with the following:

-Cabin Overheat Protection: Runs either the fan or AC (your choice) once cabin temp is 105F
-Use the app to turn the AC on 5 minutes before you get in
-Tint the windows. Not the cheap stuff. Get ceramic or nano-ceramic IR from a reputable shop. It doesn’t even have to be dark, it still has great heat-rejection ability.

You do those things and you’ll be cool even on the hottest days.

Last edited:
I leave cabin overheat protection on. Keeping it to less than 105F when away makes it easy to cool down the cabin when I get back. I haven't seen an issue on even the hottest days, and I haven't added extra tint, shades, or anything like that. I think our climates are fairly similar.

Cabin overheat protection helps a lot, as it will keep the cabin from exceeding 105 degrees for a period of 12 hours after parking the car. If you're going to park in the sun for an extended period, remotely starting the climate control ten minutes before leaving will cool things down nicely, although some of the interior will still be warm from an extended heat soak. Park in the shade whenever possible to minimize energy consumption from air conditioning.

Tesla is superior not so much for it's ability to generate extra cold air, but:
  1. Cabin overheat protection feature (prevents extreme temperature / heat soak)
  2. Pre-cool cabin remotely (with no concern for exhaust fumes in enclosed spaces).
The importance of these features cannot be overstated! Most summer discomfort in traditional vehicles comes from having to entre a sweltering hot car, and drive around with super heated interior surfaces (causing butt sweat!) while the a/c system cranks away trying to catch up. Entering my Tesla with already cool interior surfaces and cabin is amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzingggggggggggggg.

Also, a lot of people noted keeping the ac on auto. This is true, but if you're the only occupant the system defaults to only blowing air on you (drivers seat). I've found it much better to manually tap on the passenger air too for better full cabin cooling.

I hated the AC on my 2020 MY.... even bought a "power ventilated seat cover" for long 100+ degree road trips just to make it bearable.

That changed when I found out about roof shades being available ($40-$50 on Amazon). Talk about a life changer... now the AC is great... I wish I knew about these things 2 years ago (probably wasn't available then though).

I didn't add aftermarket tint or ceramic... that $40 shade is all you need (I don't even have the double pane glass on new models.)

We live in an extremely humid and hot area in NC - how does the Model Y A/C system keep up with cooling a cabin after sitting in the sun? I'm used to Lexus A/C's which were decent and older American cars A/C systems are superb. Recently got an Audi Q5 which is weak in the hot weather.

How does the Model Y fair? I know I heard some complaints on FB groups. I would be getting ceramic tint all around as well.
I live in CLT, don’t have any aftermarket tints or coatings, don’t use a shade of any kind, and have never experienced an instance in which the AC could not keep up. What I do have is a garage in which to park Both at work and home. If you are gonna leave it in the sun for long periods of time I would try to find shade; my suspicion is that the glass roof can store some of the heat from the sun a radiate it back to passengers. On long drives of multiple hours in very hot conditions I’ve had no complaints when the vehicle starts out in the garage; even when the garage gets up to 90+ degrees and the interior close to 100. It takes a heck of lot longer for glass to cool than metal; so, I think the uncomfortable temp experienced by some may not be just the sun radiating through the glass while driving, but also the glass itself acting as a heat source after being left in direct sunlight for extended periods.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Very disappointed with heat pump performance in my 22 MYP. Had it in twice for service and they have been able to replicate the issue with inadequate cooling. They’ve swapped some parts but still sucks. Anything above 91F it struggles. Even after the supposed repairs.

We live in an extremely humid and hot area in NC - how does the Model Y A/C system keep up with cooling a cabin after sitting in the sun? .... American cars A/C systems are superb. Recently got an Audi Q5 which is weak in the hot weather.

That's interesting. I have a newer Audi and the A/C is ridiculously cold. I mean, even on the hottest day I have to bring the temperature to about 75 just to be somewhat comfortable. Keeping it anywhere below 70 is like an ice locker. My Jeep, in comparison, is nowhere near the Audi in terms of A/C effectiveness. It's still more than adequate though. I think we're on our 5th heat wave in a row this summer and the most recent one was 10 days straight, so I've been using the A/C a lot in both vehicles.

I live in south Louisiana; it is like the surface of the sun. The model Y's AC is awesome. No issues. I did tint the sunroof and windshield though, and I have overheat protection enabled which all helps.

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart