Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine isnt working either. 75d as well. My other email account works with my cars and ordered ones.

While I was in my other account, I checked out all the cars (model 3s) I put a deposit down. There was a mistake and ended up ordering more than needed. Was planning on cancelling a few then orders blew up to 400,000 model 3s. Now I'm curious as to what to do.

anyone with original 70/75d reservations without SAS hear from Tesla about this? looks like delivery is now July for new 75d orders. smh.

As eager as I am, July is fine. That would be th e beginning of a quarter (if the quarter they go by is a typical one). I'd rather not get A vehicle they're pushing out as fast as they can. I was expecting October anyway. If it goes to August, I can't get it until September because of scheduling issues. I really hope July hits at the latest... Or I'll be bummed.

Just had a very interesting call with Tesla's sales department. I asked what the status was for 75D confirmed orders that ordered 6 or 7 seats with no air suspension, now that Tesla's site says air suspension is required for all cars with 6 or 7 seats. The guy on the phone said that they developed a list of people that this applies to, which is only about a DOZEN names long. He said that they are still awaiting news from the engineering department, and that they will call us if there is an issue/ask to upgrade. He said that they will only call if a change needs to be made and if we don't hear anything than no change will be needed. HOWEVER like most Tesla order holders, I don't want our dozen or so orders to be pushed months back to when the more basic "spring" suspension orders are being fulfilled, so I plan to call every other day until they hear news back. Others should do the same though. Thoughts/news?

• Informative
Reactions: Oloron and MikeC
Just had a very interesting call with Tesla's sales department. I asked what the status was for 75D confirmed orders that ordered 6 or 7 seats with no air suspension, now that Tesla's site says air suspension is required for all cars with 6 or 7 seats. The guy on the phone said that they developed a list of people that this applies to, which is only about a DOZEN names long. He said that they are still awaiting news from the engineering department, and that they will call us if there is an issue/ask to upgrade. He said that they will only call if a change needs to be made and if we don't hear anything than no change will be needed. HOWEVER like most Tesla order holders, I don't want our dozen or so orders to be pushed months back to when the more basic "spring" suspension orders are being fulfilled, so I plan to call every other day until they hear news back. Others should do the same though. Thoughts/news?

Thanks for the update. Surprised only a dozen people had confirmed non-air 75D orders. Not sure what that says about the backlog because I would have thought that a good percentage of people getting the lowest battery would not be spending extra for air suspension.

Also surprised because there's at least 4-5 of us on this thread out of the supposed dozen. With such a small number of people in this situation, I think it makes sense to just upgrade is for free :)

And still waiting to find out the rationale for requiring air in the first place.

A dozen does not smell right. ModelXTracker.com data shows 32 and we can be certain that is not all of the orders.

I would believe a dozen ordered this config from the time the design studio officially opened to the time the restriction was implemented. I think Tesla is in the toughest spot with those orders as they have a reasonable expectation of June delivery based on what was shown at the time.

While I wouldn't be happy about it, I could see them telling the rest of us early orders we have to wait until Q4 since that is consistent with communication at the time of our orders. I do hope they at least allow us the option to upgrade without the $500 change fee if their intent is to push non-air orders to the back of the line. I would likely pay it at this point for June/July delivery.

That's what I'm hoping, that we just get it for free :D But since they said that "we will get a phone call if changes need to be made", they may say to either pay for an upgrade or change the number of seats if they do end up calling. From reading the forums, it seems apparent that many people have ordered the 5 seat options on Model X's. So this may explain why only a dozen fit into our category. But I agree, what's the rationale?

@BrianD I agree the number seems low. But the sales person put me on hold and gathered that number from other people, and went so far as to say that they have all been informed of our "unique small subset". It could be what you said or maybe its USA orders? I certainly hope that they don't push us to Q4, maybe that will be the subject of any call. "Suspension upgrade means June/July, no upgrade means October"?

The sales team seems to add a little bit of new info each time I call, and they also note the concern and pass it along each time I call. I think it helps our case the more we call and question the status. It causes them to pressure engineering for an answer. I would recommend that those in the same situation give Tesla a quick call to further convey our confusion :D

Great information. I am one of the "dozen" and plan on being very proactive as well because I fear being pushed to the end of the line. I spoke with my DS and was actually the one to bring it to the San Diego office's attention. Her opinion is that Tesla would add the suspension gratis, but that's just an opinion. I will contact her and post if I hear any more definitive news. Let's all keep in touch on this issue. Thank you!

A dozen does not smell right. ModelXTracker.com data shows 32 and we can be certain that is not all of the orders.

I would believe a dozen ordered this config from the time the design studio officially opened to the time the restriction was implemented. I think Tesla is in the toughest spot with those orders as they have a reasonable expectation of June delivery based on what was shown at the time.

While I wouldn't be happy about it, I could see them telling the rest of us early orders we have to wait until Q4 since that is consistent with communication at the time of our orders. I do hope they at least allow us the option to upgrade without the $500 change fee if their intent is to push non-air orders to the back of the line. I would likely pay it at this point for June/July delivery.

Yeah - a dozen isn't the right number if they are referring to all 75D coil pre-orders. Based on the ratio of released VIN's to VIN's tracked by modelXtracker, that site probably tracks around 5% of confirmed orders. That would mean there are around 32*20 = ~600 people this affects.

The big question is if they upgrade that 600 or so. By opening up configuration with stated a "June" delivery date for 75D's with coil suspension, they definitely reset customer expectations around when deliveries would happen (deliberately or not) well beyond just the (dozen?) new orders take for that couple of weeks.

As I mentioned upthread, that's the catch-22 they've gotten themselves into. The right thing to do would be to upgrade the "dozen" orders, based on what was shown to them at the time of their order. If they do that, but don't extend it to the "600", they would be penalizing people for ordering early. Tough spot in any case. In the end, depends on how much they want to trade profit margin for goodwill and number of deliveries. No idea what the incremental cost to Tesla is for air vs. coil - say $1,000?

Is ~$600k in cost worth pushing out a bunch of cars, a pile of goodwill, and clearing out a chunk of the reservation backlog? If nothing else, it will be interesting to see where they come out on that decision.

Last edited:
I'm glad everyone is looking into this as I am also of the coil crowd. I just want this whole scenario expedited and done soon. At least we can make informed decisions and not speculate and wait in suspense if we're getting upgrade gratis, pushed back to end of year, or just our choice taken away.

I called my DS the day I found out about all this. I'm through a factory pickup so my DS is located there. She sounds very professional and on point and I like her alot so far. She put me on hold and spoke with higher ups regarding this. When she got back, she said that I will still get my coil suspension and will not get pushed back. She said I should still expect a june/July delivery. This was less than a week ago but things may have changed.

Whatever their decision, I'd like to find out asap and not have to wait to find out. I'm really hoping the adaptive spoiler is included really as that was what I was eyeing but no way am I getting a P90d. 90d I can make the stretch but p90d and practicality is out the window for me.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeC
She put me on hold and spoke with higher ups regarding this. When she got back, she said that I will still get my coil suspension and will not get pushed back. She said I should still expect a june/July delivery. This was less than a week ago but things may have changed.
This! is very reassuring, hoping it stays the same after the exec decision tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for posting. This is all great information. I reserved in November 2012, ordered in early December, and selected the 70D (now 75D) and coil suspension. After seeing the projected delivery dates once the Design Studio went live, I will be extremely disappointed if we learn that coil suspension orders go to the back of the line. For what it is worth, my DS told me sales from the local store (Denver) told them that I would be getting the air suspension as a free upgrade and that I would not fall to the back of the line. I will believe it when I see it.

Reactions: ssq
Thank you to everyone for posting. This is all great information. I reserved in November 2012, ordered in early December, and selected the 70D (now 75D) and coil suspension. After seeing the projected delivery dates once the Design Studio went live, I will be extremely disappointed if we learn that coil suspension orders go to the back of the line. For what it is worth, my DS told me sales from the local store (Denver) told them that I would be getting the air suspension as a free upgrade and that I would not fall to the back of the line. I will believe it when I see it.

I'm also very curious to hear. There is little question that doing upgrades carries the most customer goodwill and minimizes operational complexity. It does come with some real costs on their end - which means that I will be appreciative if they go the free upgrade route.