Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we are being fair here, perhaps the folks with 90D and P90D orders who waited and/or still waiting for years, should be the ones to get the next gratis offer. Seeing us low spec orders get gratis after gratis cannot be good for moral. If they can really do coils on 6/7 seats and the new 75 battery, then this is an easy decision, give coils to those who ordered coils even if new orders only allow it on 5 seat base. Being that Model S has the coil option, this is not something new to Tesla like the non-PUP and 5 seats which pushed some back in line.

If we are being fair here, perhaps the folks with 90D and P90D orders who waited and/or still waiting for years, should be the ones to get the next gratis offer. Seeing us low spec orders get gratis after gratis cannot be good for moral. If they can really do coils on 6/7 seats and the new 75 battery, then this is an easy decision, give coils to those who ordered coils even if new orders only allow it on 5 seat base. Being that Model S has the coil option, this is not something new to Tesla like the non-PUP and 5 seats which pushed some back in line.
these free offers are not really to reward us in any way, but management decision to streamline a process for future sales. We just so happen to get lucky and got bunched into the mix. The only way 90's get free upgrades is if management makes a decision that would affect them.

It's a trade off, since they did get their cars first. Cant appease everyone. I can see that the 90's maybe get a 100 battery one day and gets rid of the 90;s.

Tesla doesn't have to give any free upgrades. They can adjust how they price the Model X the best they can to sell at the margins they want. The market can respond by either buying the 90D instead of the 75D based on the new price points.

I preordered a 70D (now 75D) over 2 years ago and I don't expect anything free from Tesla. They may have made a decision to go with a 75 kwh pack as the base for Model X for other business/production reasons.

I already thought my preorder price for the Model X 70D (now 75D) was already fair based on my original config. I also don't mind the delay because my X will be even more perfect by the time it's delivered.

So, now they increase the pricing and config requirements which just makes my X that much more valuable even without the freebies.

Before we get too excited note that this is pure speculation, but as I'm sure many people know air suspension is required if you want to add the tow hitch. To me this made no sense because adjusting the height of a car mid-drive seems completely unrelated to towing something, seeing that almost every car currently on the roads with a tow hitch doesn't have air suspension. Perhaps there is some mechanical limitation of the coils that made this a requirement, and perhaps they recently found out that this limitation also applies to the 6/7 seats. It's worth noting that they CAN call us and ask us to pay for air suspension or downgrade seats, so this scenario wouldn't guarantee free stuff.

The other scenario that has been floated on the forum was that a disproportionate number of people ordered the 75D when the design studio opened up, therefore on new orders with 6/7 seats they required the air suspension to even out the demand on both battery variants. I for sure think that this and other similar scenarios are incorrect because there is clearly some "issue" that is being discussed and resolved by the engineers and executives (presumably by tomorrow). If Tesla is truly able to manufacture the coil suspensions for people that already ordered them, and the online design studio change was only done to increase profit/demand for models, than I believe there'd manufacture ours due to the early ordering and there would not be any issue to discuss at the executive level. ( the coil manufacturing system is the same one is used on the S too, so it's not like they have to retool anything). So to me, executive discussions mean there's actually some issue that they found.

In terms of manufacturing order, I think that Tesla doesn't care who goes first because at this point all 75D ordered will likely be produced within a month or 2 of each other, seeing as the latest delivery date we've seen for 75 deliveries is July and assuming production on them begins in 1 month in June. And June will probably be the earliest that production starts because production starts 1 month after VIN is assigned, and come on, have any 75D owners received a VIN yet??

Thoughts?

Before we get too excited note that this is pure speculation, but as I'm sure many people know air suspension is required if you want to add the tow hitch. To me this made no sense because adjusting the height of a car mid-drive seems completely unrelated to towing something, seeing that almost every car currently on the roads with a tow hitch doesn't have air suspension. Perhaps there is some mechanical limitation of the coils that made this a requirement, and perhaps they recently found out that this limitation also applies to the 6/7 seats. It's worth noting that they CAN call us and ask us to pay for air suspension or downgrade seats, so this scenario wouldn't guarantee free stuff.

The other scenario that has been floated on the forum was that a disproportionate number of people ordered the 75D when the design studio opened up, therefore on new orders with 6/7 seats they required the air suspension to even out the demand on both battery variants. I for sure think that this and other similar scenarios are incorrect because there is clearly some "issue" that is being discussed and resolved by the engineers and executives (presumably by tomorrow). If Tesla is truly able to manufacture the coil suspensions for people that already ordered them, and the online design studio change was only done to increase profit/demand for models, than I believe there'd manufacture ours due to the early ordering and there would not be any issue to discuss at the executive level. ( the coil manufacturing system is the same one is used on the S too, so it's not like they have to retool anything). So to me, executive discussions mean there's actually some issue that they found.

In terms of manufacturing order, I think that Tesla doesn't care who goes first because at this point all 75D ordered will likely be produced within a month or 2 of each other, seeing as the latest delivery date we've seen for 75 deliveries is July and assuming production on them begins in 1 month in June. And June will probably be the earliest that production starts because production starts 1 month after VIN is assigned, and come on, have any 75D owners received a VIN yet??

Thoughts?

Agree the biggest question is if air will permanently be required for 6/7 configs. Presumably no one outside of Tesla (if there), knows at this point.

On timing we also don't know what they are going to do now, but if we're talking what is possible, in March there were factory deliveries that happened within 3 weeks of VIN assignment. Add 3 weeks for east coast delivery, gives a minimum delivery window of 3-6 weeks. Tesla was under plan for Q1 deliveries, so they have a big incentive to push out as many as possible by June 30.

That said, there's a lot of 90's to get delivered and those are (for the most part) going to take priority.

Thoughts?

Interesting question. Have any 75D's received a VIN yet?!

I called up Tesla (number on Design Spec pdf), they had no idea about this. I gave the rep contextual info about what my question is, why I am asking (ref to 70=>75, trim changes being added gratis).. he still did not know. meh...

It would be great if you could also confirm that regular suspension won't push us to the end of the production queue. Thanks.

I asked. He's still trying to find out why it's required, says it will probably take a few days.

There's another owner that's been asking him the same questions - probably someone else reading this thread.

It would suck if we were push to end of the queue, and would be totally unacceptable. What is the point of reservations then ? I would go ballistic if this happened. Tesla already has been unfair to reservation holders by prioritizing 90D orders over people with 75D with old reservations from a year or more back.

It would suck if we were push to end of the queue, and would be totally unacceptable. What is the point of reservations then ? I would go ballistic if this happened. Tesla already has been unfair to reservation holders by prioritizing 90D orders over people with 75D with old reservations from a year or more back.
True but you have to admit getting the free battery upgrade softens the blow a bit. I have been a reservation holder since Nov 2012. What's a couple more months of waiting? I'd rather wait than be forced to buy an air suspension upgrade.

True but you have to admit getting the free battery upgrade softens the blow a bit. I have been a reservation holder since Nov 2012. What's a couple more months of waiting? I'd rather wait than be forced to buy an air suspension upgrade.
hmm.. I got a bit emotional after seeing the pics of TitanoX's sister in the Random Model X sighting thread.

• Funny
Reactions: MikeC
This is the main reason I upgraded form the 70D to the 90D and added the premium package. I lacked the patience to wait and would be stressed out with the questions you guys are asking. But now my X is delayed so I am back on the boat but with 20k less