TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Air Suspension

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Todd Burch, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Here are my pros and cons of the air suspension (from my fairly uneducated thought on the matter):

Pros
    -Slightly improved aerodynamics (3-5%?....rough guess)
    -Improved capability for getting in and out of steep driveways
    -Smoother ride
    -Improved handling

Cons
    -Increased cost ($1500)
    -decreased reliability...more to go wrong.

As I understand it, air suspension systems can be fairly complex, and could be one of the more unreliable Parts of the Model S.

So what do you think? Is the air suspension worth it? Why or why not?

2. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Pro: not having to worry about scraping in parking lot curbs.

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

I think it is worth it and it will be an option I get (if I follow through on the purchase).

I really like the 21" wheels (less now that I see they are $3,500). So I was thinking that the Air Suspension could smooth out some of the added harshness from the lower profile tires.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Been wondering about this option as I know absolutely nothing about the value it adds. I'm not sure how I'd even know if it's doing something during the ride. I don't see myself needing it for raising or lowering while at rest.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Also begs the question of how high it goes over the standard 6.1" ground clearance. I assume if you don't have it, expect to scrape bottom occasionally.

6. goyogi

goyogi Member

Also how quickly can I raise and lower it? Two taps on the menu? A dedicated hidden switch I can hit quickly? And how quick does it raise? I need a test drive! =)

7. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

"using the touchscreen" :)

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Rolling through the hood on dubs? :smile:

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#9 tdelta1000, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    That was a good observation. A good reference point on the air suspensions would be the old Lincoln Towncars. I know that the technology has improved but it's still a point of failure.

Here's a link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lincoln%20town%20car%20air%20suspension&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CGUQtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dt1uQaN9x37U&ei=WivzTrOAM9OUtwfjmvzQBg&usg=AFQjCNGFCiDNntcQ1uzVrGVlZfGORSfo4w

10. goyogi

goyogi Member

I was thinking the same thing when I posted. Can I independently adjust the suspension and bounce the front. ;). Oh, and my S will be rolling through the hood on dubs+1. ;) Or "twankie deuces I owe you one"

But really I can't see myself coming up to a curb and adjusting my suspension unless it's fast. I'm more of the type to take a chance and scrape. I've done it in many cars and it sucks but rarely visually noticeable.

11. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

Air suspension, or other?

Is there any reason to not get the air suspension? That was given considerable attribution for the pleasant ride & handling during the Get Amped tour. Since it's actually an upgrade, what are the pros and cons to choosing air vs conventional?

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Nice thread on air suspension from last year discusses pros and cons.

13. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

You save $1500 with the conventional springs. That is about it.

14. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I think air suspension are much better than conventional suspension because you can match the height of the car from ground with the features of the road where you are driving, the speed of the car, the weather conditions and so on.

15. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Having owned a couple of Citroens, there's no question about it for us. That's one of the major attractions of the car. The combination of good handling and road comfort in our CX, especially on chewed up surfaces, was amazing. I just hope the Model X has automatic lowering of the car when stopped for easier entrance/egress as the Citroens had.

16. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

The air suspension is also likely to break and need repair/replacement at some point (10 years? 20 years?) whereas the conventional springs will probably never need replacement (unless you really drive the car a lot). It may be a consideration if you plan to keep the car a really, really long time.

The air suspension is definitely preferable in all other ways. It gives you an inch or so of extra clearance when you need it, which matters out here in rural areas, as well as giving you a more comfortable ride.

17. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I don't think that conventional suspension need less maintenance than air suspension. And then with air suspension you can also electonically compensate some problems that conventional suspension can have due to aging.

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

19. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Not maintenance, replacement. Springs take a *really* long time to wear out, unless you spend your time bouncing over rocks for 100,000 miles. Nylon hoses wear out with time.

20. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Anyway i think that considering the drawbacks and advantages of both suspension air suspension are better for the benefits that they give in terms of comfort, safety and energy saving.