Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airstream Towing Equipment Recommendations - Sport or Nest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ohmman, Propride seems interesting though tongue weight is a concern. An 275 lbs or thereabouts. Do you believe the suggestion that all that extra weight gets distributed to the trailer and car, relieving pressure on the tongue?
It's complicated. Tongue weight isn't only the ability of the hitch to handle the weight. It's also related to the suspension of the vehicle, which is why loads behind the axle in the X technically should be included when you total tongue weight. Keeping that in mind, weight distribution absolutely does reduce load on the rear suspension of the vehicle and transfer a portion to the front suspension/wheels (good) but it creates a dynamic load on the hitch that can exceed the actual hitch rating. That, I believe, is why the Bosal failed on me. With the Equalizer and other torsion bar/spring arm type hitches, the trailer and vehicle attempt to become one solid plank, so going up and down bumps/curbs/etc creates a lot of strain on that connection. This is why it's often recommended to detach the bars on gravel/forest roads. I live on a gravel road and do not engage my bars until I'm at the bottom of the drive.

The ProPride includes a better anti-sway mechanism than the friction type that Equalizer does, which is why I mentioned it. Especially in the case of the X+Airstream, where I am on the lowest tension settings for the Equalizer - friction is at its lowest. The tongue weight problem is just that, though.. something you'd have to manage.

The hitch referenced on page 1 of this thread is listed on ETrailer.com as 'not confirmed to fit'. Does anyone on here know if it does, in fact, fit a recent build 'Raven'?

upload_2019-9-11_17-52-14.png

The hitch referenced on page 1 of this thread is listed on ETrailer.com as 'not confirmed to fit'. Does anyone on here know if it does, in fact, fit a recent build 'Raven'?

View attachment 453484
That might be a model year thing. I am pretty confident that Tesla hasn't changed the bolt configuration for the Bosal hitch (since that hasn't changed), so it should fit. It says that model is confirmed to fit the 2016:

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.09.01 PM.png

Reactions: jbumps
As we did not take the trailer out this weekend, I had time to go where we are storing it in between trips and experiment with Haul Gauge and ‘manual weight distribution’. Attached screen grabs.

In the first one, you’ll notice there isn’t enough weight on the front axle and too much on the back. Trailer axle is largely fine.

On the second one I’ve added my portable grill, a bottle jack, thick 30 amp and 15 amp cables and more heavy items to the frunk. I’m now over weight on the front axle.

These were all measured with the car in jack mode. I then sat in the driver’s seat and turned off jack mode which made the car self level.

Pretty interesting to see how good the car is at distributing weight, so to speak. That’s the third screen grab.

Of course, that’s without having fully loaded the car and only one occupant in it. All the gear is in though, so it’s just missing wife, kids, cooler with supplies and clothes. Clothes go in the trunk. Cooler in between the second row seats. We’re going out next week. Curious to see what it does then. Will report.

Note Haul Gauge is providing a tongue weight of 490. I’ve only got one partially filled LP tank and only very light items in the trailer’s front storage (hoses). Plus, got dishes, pots, pans etc. in two plastic bins, one in the bathroom and one in the closet.

Attachments

• A1DA5FE0-67CF-4DF0-8856-7E081B6BB8E8.png
    A1DA5FE0-67CF-4DF0-8856-7E081B6BB8E8.png
    240 KB · Views: 60
  • 07CB5D72-4625-40C5-A018-3CE318BD3AE0.png
    07CB5D72-4625-40C5-A018-3CE318BD3AE0.png
    238.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 617A0825-A3F1-4F86-BB7C-1B495CA1D2FA.png
    617A0825-A3F1-4F86-BB7C-1B495CA1D2FA.png
    239.1 KB · Views: 41
  • D1CFD23C-FEC8-4E58-BB51-A02FF682998F.png
    D1CFD23C-FEC8-4E58-BB51-A02FF682998F.png