Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alabama Superchargers (location speculation and discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A permit was discovered for a second supercharger in the Birmingham area (Mountain Brook), and Montgomery looks like its about to get started.

UAB does have a number of Chargepoint L2 chargers.

Alabama should have made those charging stations require Tesla connectors.

CHARGING SITE REQUIREMENTS:​

The following are required of each of the charging sites to be chosen:​

1. Each charging site must be capable of charging at least two (2) EVs simultaneously with provisions for future expansions to charge four (4) vehicles simultaneously.
  2. Each charging site should, at a minimum, be capable of charging a single EV at greater than 100kW with future provisions for expansion and power upgrades to include two additional (4 total) charging stations and/or upgrades to higher power (up to 350kW)

Cheapest compliant station design may be a pair of Chargepoint Express 250s. They share rectifiers, and can do 125kw shared between two chargers. Can be expanded to two pairs of CPE250s. But Chargepoints don't normally take credit cards.
I think Tritium has a 2-car charger, but don't believe it exceeds 100kw for a single car.
A Signet station like Electrify America would work if they added a Chademo connector to every dispenser.
This would actually be a boon for Telsa drivers with the Chademo adapter, because you can't depend on the single Chademo working at existing EA sites.

I think the problem with Alabama Superchargers is "it's the south and the south don't care about EVs!". Arkansas is worse off :( It also just has to do with smaller population.

There are two being worked on though!

Tesla's Supercharger site suggests they have a few more planned for the state.

I still argue that rather than having a few large sites they'd do well to have many smaller sites. The leasing and installation is probably the expensive part so that certainly plays into it, but having a larger variety of route options is a really big help.

Attachments

• Alabama_Superchargers_2021-08-22.PNG
    Alabama_Superchargers_2021-08-22.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
having a few large sites they'd do well to have many smaller sites. The leasing and installation is probably the expensive part so that certainly plays into it, but having a larger variety of route options is a really big help.

From a Demand Charge perspective, a tiny 1-charger EVGo needs to pay full demand charge for its load (say, 50kw or 150kw). An 8-stall Supercharger is never going to see peak load on all 8 stalls at once, so its demand charge cost will be less (per charger) than eight 1-charger sites. Maybe something like half. But as Superchargers get even bigger, I'm not sure there is any benefit much more: per-pedestal load is probably similar at a busy 8-stall SC and a busy 16-stall SC.

Reactions: LoudMusic
BTW - two of the chargers in Mobile, AL were also down on our way to FL. There's no way more people are going to purchase EV's in the south or just in general with the limited number of DC chargers around. What is everyone's thoughts?
Late to this party but I just went through Mobile supercharger and 2 were down. I wonder if they ever got them back up and running. The charging cables were tied in a loose knot to show they were not working. They were also quite dirty so it looked as though they hadn't been used in a while! Pity as there is a serious shortage of superchargers down south

Reactions: D-ATL
The new Supercharger outside of Bham is a really nice addition. No longer do I have to go into the city just to charge. The Cottondale supercharger is also a great addition and good location. Any word on the supercharger in Huntsville?

The new Supercharger outside of Bham is a really nice addition. No longer do I have to go into the city just to charge. The Cottondale supercharger is also a great addition and good location. Any word on the supercharger in Huntsville?

Construction has started. Close to an REI which is nice.

My idea for a Cullman, AL supercharger:

I think the I-65 corridor between the Birmingham and Athens locations needs a supercharger. These two superchargers can be crowded, slower (V2), and too close together for those wishing to skip charging in Birmingham.

Cullman is an almost perfect for a supercharger installation! Here’s something I wrote up:

Along Primary Interstates: I-65
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-31, US-278
Along State Numbered Highways (<=5mi): AL-69, AL-157
Split Superchargers: Birmingham, AL; Athens, AL; Huntsville, AL
Amenities (walking distance): Hampton Inn, Logan's Roadhouse, Puckett's Restaurant, Cracker Barrel, Shell gas station

# Travel Distance
## I-65/I-565
- Diversion from I-65: 0.1 miles
- Birmingham, AL (v2) - 51.3 miles
- Athens, AL (v2) - 41.8 miles
- Huntsville, AL (v3) - 47.9 miles

## US-31
- Diversion from US-31: 1.2 miles
- Birmingham, AL (v2) - 51.3 miles
- Athens, AL (v2) - 41.8 miles
- Huntsville, AL (v3) - 47.9 miles

## US-278
- Diversion from US-278: 2.8 miles
- Tupelo, MS (v2) - 121 miles
- Steele, AL (v2) - 56.8 miles

## AL-69
- Diversion from AL-69N: 5.0 miles
- Diversion from AL-69S: 11.1 miles

## AL-157
- Diversion from AL-157: 0.1 miles

I uploaded some images with simplified notes here:
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this. If you like my idea, please suggest this site to Tesla here: Suggest Superchargers | Tesla
If there is enough interest, we may be able to vote for this location in the future.

This one may turn out to be Fultondale instead. Marco has found an address: 1334 Walker Chapel Rd
This is at the waffle house, though I could see it being at the adjacent Shell parking lot or Comfort Suites.

This is a great location. I used to stop here a lot when driving a gas vehicle. Several dining options and traditional convenience store.

Reactions: 1speed
This is at the waffle house, though I could see it being at the adjacent Shell parking lot or Comfort Suites.

This is a great location. I used to stop here a lot when driving a gas vehicle. Several dining options and traditional convenience store.

Well, for better or worse, this wound up at the exit to the north. Still not a bad location, just a bit further off the interstate.

Last edited:
From the thread: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

Just saw 8 chargers (still plastic-wrapped) that look a day or two away from opening in my medium sized NE Georgia college town (home of the 2x defending football champs). The location is right next to the new REI and this addition doubles the number of Tesla stalls and charging spots. Very exciting as this location is very close to me and we are soon to be (Cybertruck pending) a two-Tesla household and only have a one-stall garage with one charger.

I appreciate a good puzzle @Creekstalker but I can't work out this one :p

Only in-progress site in north-east Georgia is Gainesville (with a permit marker), but it could quite easily be somewhere else.

The comment suggests it's an expansion to an existing 8 stall site but the only place that could be is Madison? Nothing in it's dedicated thread, or on Plugshare photos.

From the thread: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

I appreciate a good puzzle @Creekstalker but I can't work out this one :p

Only in-progress site in north-east Georgia is Gainesville (with a permit marker), but it could quite easily be somewhere else.

The comment suggests it's an expansion to an existing 8 stall site but the only place that could be is Madison? Nothing in it's dedicated thread, or on Plugshare photos.
My best guess is it's a new location by the REI in Athens, GA. Fits with the college town and the football, and it's sort of northish. Not sure why you're posting in the Alabama thread though.

@Big Earl