Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Highway Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was unsure on whether or not I should save this info for April Fools day where I'd keep the annual "haha Alaska will never get Superchargers" tradition alive, but since Soldotna is not along the Alaska Highway, consider yourselves lucky. 4 V3 stalls coming soon

Thread: Supercharger - Soldotna, AK

One would think they'd install a couple between Anchorage and Fairbanks first. But a friend of mine owns a cabin on the Kenai Peninsula and says there are some fairly well-heeled folks there that do the same. So maybe it makes some sense. Would be a great place for a Cybertruck.

I was unsure on whether or not I should save this info for April Fools day where I'd keep the annual "haha Alaska will never get Superchargers" tradition alive, but since Soldotna is not along the Alaska Highway, consider yourselves lucky. 4 V3 stalls coming soon

Thread: Supercharger - Soldotna, AK

Nice! Is this the first indication of a single-cabinet V3 install in the U.S. or Canada? I know they have done some 4-stall V3's internationally. I guess Alaskans are accustomed to taking their chances! :)

Reactions: Big Earl

Almost April 1st!
With a TriMotor Cybertruck. Would just need 2 more to theoretically make it.

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
This is how I see the Supercharger network taking shape through BC, YT and AK. I combed through hundreds of miles of roads and power lines on various maps and I think all of these locations have grid power (a few might be on diesel micro grids). The longest gaps are around Watson Lake with 161 miles to the west and 202 miles to the east... there just isn’t much out there.

Just is a work in progress. I’ll keep exploring other highways and connecting the dots as I come across potential Supercharger candidates.

728A85AC-CDD1-482F-8C34-D07C3AB2C53C.jpeg

Last edited:
I should post my North Country SpC map that I put together for Tesla quite some years ago now. One feature that’s new since then is the very large kVA line that BCHydro has emplaced along the Cassiar Highway. If BCH truly is committed to EV stations - alas, I’m not yet convinced of its sincerity - that route, which is shorter but far, far more truly isolated and unpopulated than the Alaska Hwy, nicely could provide access from Prince George (and points south and east) up to Watson Lake. To the west of WLake, it would be the DOT camp at Swift River (Rancheria is no more, alas), and then Teslin. That will easily get you to Johnson’s Crossing but I think services are better a little farther along at Jakes Corner. Then on into Whitehorse. Easy going to Haines Jct. The micro-grid at Destruction Bay is amenable to a small SpC site (that was the case as of 6-7 years ago but again, it’s under the aegis of Yukon Power and so should be okay), and then it’s a long hop to Beaver at the CA-US border. By placing the SpC at the westernmost end of the Destruction Bay “grid”, which is at Burwash Landing, it’s 170km/105 miles...sounds good but that’s some of the worst road of the route and it really chews up the electrons or fuel.

After the border, only possibilities are the meager site at Northway Jct, and thence to Tok and both westward and SW from there (but Alaska posts its own challenges).

***Unless you’re from northern BC or Yukon, or have driven the route the almost four dozen times that I have, you’d best read the above with map at hand.....😁🥶😁

Last edited:
Not Supercharging - but plugshare is now showing real J-1772 stations that are at least in the planning stages for Fort Nelson and Muncho Lake. Both supposedly available this summer. Hopefully they would be at least 48 amps, but I assume anything better than using a TT-30 would be appreciated:

1617038462628.png

Reactions: Big Earl
Not Supercharging - but plugshare is now showing real J-1772 stations that are at least in the planning stages for Fort Nelson and Muncho Lake. Both supposedly available this summer. Hopefully they would be at least 48 amps, but I assume anything better than using a TT-30 would be appreciated:

As a FWIW, when I posted the above yesterday, there were two different "Wall" listings for Northern Rockies Lodge at Muncho Lake, and a third "Coming soon" for J-1772. I sent a problem report to plugshare asking them to clarify this, and today there is one pin for all. Hoping that the J-1772 really will be located at Northern Rockies Lodge - as there is at least one other possible location. Otherwise I may be responsible for removing one level of confusion, but creating another...

Northern Rockies Lodge is a nice place in a splendid location - Muncho Lake is one of the continent’s prettiest - and their dining room is most spectacularly-sited with good fare. I do, though, give them a thumbs-down for their marketing: they beat their breasts and gnash their teeth complaining about their remote location causing them to have to charge an ultra-premium price for absolutely everything - because, for cry-I, the truth is they are smack-dab in the middle of the real lifeline that connects a genuine town like Whitehorse to supply hubs like Edmonton and Grande Prairie - those long-haul trucks come by and stop there! multiple times each week.

Nevertheless, they put on good work. So, I’m mostly happy that chargers are on their way there.

But.

They gotta keep pushing out the chargers northwards! As it stands, it’s almost a picture-perfect definition of a captive market: You can drive an EV all the way up to NRLodge....but no farther. You’ll have to stay there!

OK, rant over: you walk before you run; a long journey begins with one step and all that. I know.

They gotta keep pushing out the chargers northwards! As it stands, it’s almost a picture-perfect definition of a captive market: You can drive an EV all the way up to NRLodge....but no farther. You’ll have to stay there!
How do you get from Fort St. John to the lodge? Looks like it's about 600 km. Per plugshare it looks like a level 2 is planned in Fort Nelson, but I'm curious how you'd do it now?

I found my way back to this thread. I guess Tesla is making some progress

Also, you missed Cache Creek, BC.

Cache Creek, BC - OPEN 9/10/2021 !

63.7 mi. About 1 hour 9 mins
100 Mile House, BC
127 mi. About 2 hours 17 mins

127.6 mi. 2 hours 11 mins
Wiliams Lake, BC - OPEN 10/21/2021
72 mi. 1 hour 16 mins
Quesnel, BC - OPEN 10/1/2021
74.9 mi. About 1 hour 25 mins
Prince George, BC - CONSTRUCTION
86.9 mi. About 1 hour 36 mins
McLeod Lake, BC
104 mi. About 2 hours 4 mins
Chetwynd, BC
62.2 mi. About 1 hour 12 mins
Dawson Creek, BC
44.9 mi. About 56 mins
Fort St John, BC
127 mi. About 2 hours 20 mins
Buckinghorse River, BC
109 mi. About 1 hour 51 mins
Fort Nelson, BC
118 mi. About 2 hours 28 mins
Toad River, BC
72.7 mi. About 1 hour 39 mins
Liard River, BC
129 mi. About 2 hours 49 mins
Watson Lake, YT
162 mi. About 3 hours 25 mins
Tesla, YT
111 mi. About 1 hour 59 mins
Whitehorse, YT
95.8 mi. About 1 hour 41 mins
Haines Junction, YT
65.6 mi. About 1 hour 16 mins
"Burwash Landing ;)", YT
115 mi. About 2 hours 23 mins
Beaver Creek, YT
109 mi. About 2 hours 8 mins
Teslak, AK
108 mi. About 1 hour 50 mins
Delta Junction, AK
95.5 mi. About 1 hour 46 mins
Fairbanks, AK

10% of profits from Supercharger fees on this route will be donated to conversation efforts related to the endangered black spruce.

The earliest Tesla will probably have this section of the SC network built out will probably be a year after the Cybertruck is in full volume production, maybe summer 2024.

Hunch, gut feeling or insider info? I tend to agree that the network reaching Alaska will coincide with the Cybertruck, but I think it'll happen sooner than a year after full volume production. If Summer 2024 is the over/under, I'll take the under.

Hunch, gut feeling or insider info? I tend to agree that the network reaching Alaska will coincide with the Cybertruck, but I think it'll happen sooner than a year after full volume production. If Summer 2024 is the over/under, I'll take the under.
More or less a hunch. There would have to be enough vehicles willing & capable to travel that route before Tesla would invest in expanding to connect the lower 48 to AK. While the S3XY line up can make that drive today, they would probably be limited to only 4 months for S & 3 and maybe 6 months for the X & Y out of the year where a CT could possibly do it year round.