Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stainless door frames. Stainless door rings black powder coated. I was expecting steel for everything but the outer skins, but they did not hold back.

The outer skins is either 1.4 or 1.8mm thick. Not 3mm as has been previously mentioned/rumored/whatevered.

He said the outer skins provide 75% of the crash strength. That's exoskeleton territory for me. It's not just a flashy exterior.

Stainless door frames. Stainless door rings black powder coated. I was expecting steel for everything but the outer skins, but they did not hold back.

The outer skins is either 1.4 or 1.8mm thick. Not 3mm as has been previously mentioned/rumored/whatevered.

He said the outer skins provide 75% of the crash strength. That's exoskeleton territory for me. It's not just a flashy exterior.
The 3 mm was the original prototype's thickness.

The 3 mm was the original prototype's thickness.
Seems like there is a lot more of "less" than "more" when comparing the prototype to what was delivered - which, BTW, is not what Elon recently said in that "Jay Leno CT video;" link provided below. If you recall, he recently bragged in that video (at around the 1:45 min mark) -

"...unlike other manufacturers, Tesla always delivers more than the prototype..." Not even the devotionalists can defend this Charlatan BS...

Last edited:
I’ll defend it. Production vehicles don’t always match prototype one-offs and don’t believe everything Musk says. He exaggerates like a fisherman.
As I recall, after the original announcement, all anyone heard was "it's too big" "it won't fit in my garage". So unsurprisingly it was changed.

This is important. Combined with Lars Moravy's statement to Sandy Munro that they only need the 9,000 ton gigapress for the rear castings (because Tesla tool'n'die maker/engineers have developed a way to make the CT front casting with the 6,500 ton gigapress - BTW they already have 4 of those in Austin).

Now Tesla already has 2 of the 9,000 ton gigapresses installed, so they can very quickly increase installed CT production capacity from 125K/yr (announced) to 250K/yr, just by adding a 2nd shift on the existing line.

A 2nd line takes Ct capacity to 1M/yr, but requires either more 9KT gigapresses, or more magic tricks from die-makers, or a combination of both. All I know is that if the orders are there, Tesla Engineering will make it happen. ;)

Wow!
Seems made up considering they only moved the icon from the Theater option to the Entertainment option...

Some “fording” facts….

Looks like with CT, you have to go through a process before fording up to 30” 🤣

BUT with the Rivian you can just “have at it,” up to a staggering 43”+ of depth! 👍🏻

Another “win” for the theee year old Rivian….

IMG_0127.jpeg

IMG_0128.png

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Some “fording” facts….

Looks like with CT, you have to go through a process before fording up to 30” 🤣

BUT with the Rivian you can just have at it, up to a staggering 43”+ of depth! 👍🏻

Another “win” for the theee year old Rivian….

View attachment 1000877

View attachment 1000878
Hitting scuba mode isn't a "process."

And Rivian's pack isn't pressurized 100% of the time.

CT is an all purpose pickup with an over 6' bed.

R1T is an adventure vehicle with a 4.5' bed.