Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1303495330223198208

shows he has definitely been hearing the lucid fanfare and has responded to it once already.

Did you not realize the Lucid CEO used to work for Tesla?
Yes, but he has a lot of things to talk about and present on Battery Day that they've been working on for a long time. They have no need to respond to Lucid's presentation, and I doubt Lucid is more than a very small part of the things on Elon's mind.

Reactions: Nathan
Yes, but he has a lot of things to talk about and present on Battery Day that they've been working on for a long time. They have no need to respond to Lucid's presentation, and I doubt Lucid is more than a very small part of the things on Elon's mind.

lucid avoided using Tesla by name through most of their presentation, it will likely be similar for Tesla on battery day. They don't have to say Lucid to be responding to them. I have no doubt that they'll mention improvements in density and cost and once they do the comparison will be made no matter how they bring it up.

I think Lucid have done a great job and their tech is probably legit. The niche they are going for works also. However that niche is a Venn diagram of fairly early EV adopters and lux. They will have countless teething issues (as Tesla did); anyone of them could cause their customers to go back to Mercedes ICE or put up with the less lux Model S.

I expect them to fail and be bought by an OEM cheaply.

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
Lucid forecasts about 80,000 units in 2023 once a sub-$100,000 variant of the Air, as well as the production SUV, hit the market. But Rawlinson wants to grow to 360,000 units a year in 2026, when a smaller, more affordable vehicle arrives. Other factories around the globe are slated to fire up in 2027, just when Lucid would hit the million-units-per-year mark.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/lucid-motors-business-plan-sales-pricing/

Lucid is not a public company.

Rawlinson said they won't measure success by "hitting numbers."

They are more focused on hitting quality goals.

If Nikola,Canoo and Lordstown can raise billions I doubt Lucid will have trouble raising money.

• Love
Reactions: BlindPass
BTW The Lucid Dream Edition is dual motor.

upload_2020-9-12_13-8-34.jpeg

The car above is triple motor. When Tesla releases Triple Motor Max Plaid, Lucid has something in reserve. Yeah, it will probably cost a gagilllian dollars.

Just tried to configure and couldn't find a blue paint option for any of the cars that have a design now button. Basically black, white, red, gray, and silver are the only external paint options.
Ha! The Signature Model S only came in 4 colors, black, silver, white, and Signature Red (which was a very dark red). We would have cancelled our Sig order if we (some Sig owners) hadn't been able to con them into doing factory custom colors.

I think Lucid have done a great job and their tech is probably legit. The niche they are going for works also. However that niche is a Venn diagram of fairly early EV adopters and lux. They will have countless teething issues (as Tesla did); anyone of them could cause their customers to go back to Mercedes ICE or put up with the less lux Model S.

I expect them to fail and be bought by an OEM cheaply.

I expect them to do the low volume cars well enough that they’ll buy an OEM, if needed, to later target mass production.

Thanks to Tesla blowing up after years of no quarterly profits, there’s no shortage of cash for an ICE disruptor. Running 9.3 or 517 miles in just EV betas results in them having a blank check.

The biggest question is does the industry become battery constrained? Improvements in battery tech will help, and they did announce an agreement with a battery supplier that will allow them to make their packs.

Perhaps they develop batteries leasing/swapping mechanisms, which would allow those manufacturers to decouple cells and cars made. I believe Tesla has new patents on mobile swapping? It likely would be better adopted by experienced EV users that have matured past range anxiety