Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, Out of Spec Dave made a vid about why he just sold his Lucid, and this vid is very enlightening:

All of those issues are things I would not expect from a mid six-figure car. And that LAG on the interface, DAMN!

No wonder they are having issues selling their production. 😔
I totally agree with you. All those things he mentioned, Lucid should already have done. They have not had a big updates since late last year. What could their software department be doing? There FSD is nothing - basically cruise control that keeps you centered and heard that has gone backwards. Glad they have CarPlay, but really you can’t even have it fit that little screen or display on the bottom screen? And know way to see music when using their Nav. That would really annoy me.

Instead of coming out with the Sapphire, they should be making their software the best and making sure the current cars they sell are the best for the price they are commanding.

Really like Lucid, but they need to move faster or they will be gone.

• Disagree
Reactions: racerx2005
Lucid Q3 P&D is finally out: Lucid Announces Q3 Production & Deliveries, Sets Date for Third Quarter 2023 Results | Lucid Group, Inc.

It seems pretty bad. But the days of supply actually dropped to ~240:

1697552603337.png

Note: This doesn't count the 700+ SKD, semi-knock down, kits that are/were in transport to Saudia Arabia for final assembly, since they won't have finished production until Q4 at the earliest.

Wasn't their most recent revised goal for 2023 production "more than 10k"? (And that goal was stated just a little over 2 months ago.) They would need to produce more than 4,000 in Q4 to meet that. It doesn't seem like they are going to meet that. (Not that it really matters, as it doesn't appear that they could sell them even if they could make them.)

(Not that it really matters, as it doesn't appear that they could sell them even if they could make them.)
Yes, it's pointless to just keep adding to inventory so they had to cut production. Lucid at this point has that "dead company walking" odor that drives buyers away. It's a vicious circle. Fans say the Saudis will keep pumping cash in forever, but 100% dependence on Saudi Arabia isn't the kind of marketing pitch that appeals to buyers, either.

They have great tech. I'd love to see Toyota/Lexus acquire them. That would restore buyer confidence and they could spread the tech across their entire product line. Years ago I wanted Mercedes to buy them, but that ship sailed.

Not that I have any skin in the game (thankfully), but why are the people holding the purse strings continuing to let Rawlinson drive the ship? Total disaster--he's been headed for an iceberg for a year now--has seen it getting larger and larger, and continued full steam ahead. Inexcusable, and if I were a shareholder I'd be extremely pissed at him.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Yes, it's pointless to just keep adding to inventory so they had to cut production. Lucid at this point has that "dead company walking" odor that drives buyers away. It's a vicious circle. Fans say the Saudis will keep pumping cash in forever, but 100% dependence on Saudi Arabia isn't the kind of marketing pitch that appeals to buyers, either.

They have great tech. I'd love to see Toyota/Lexus acquire them. That would restore buyer confidence and they could spread the tech across their entire product line. Years ago I wanted Mercedes to buy them, but that ship sailed.
That would probably be a good thing for Toyota or Lexus...but you'd still have the massive cost problem. What good is all that tech if almost nobody finds it affordable? I'm still convinced he let his rivalry with Musk cloud his business judgement. "Beat Tesla, regardless of cost" seemed to be the mantra...and that approach will probably end up deep-sixing them.

Reactions: Bouba
Not that I have any skin in the game (thankfully), but why are the people holding the purse strings continuing to let Rawlinson drive the ship? Total disaster--he's been headed for an iceberg for a year now--has seen it getting larger and larger, and continued full steam ahead. Inexcusable, and if I were a shareholder I'd be extremely pissed at him.

That's a good question. I don't know the answer, but if I were a shareholder I'd be livid by now.

After watching Lex Fridman interview Jared Kushner on youtube, it struck me how desperately the Saudis are trying to invest in a life after oil. Bankrolling Lucid seems to be one of their pet projects.

I can't see Toyota acquiring Lucid. Corporate cultures are far too different.

• Informative
Reactions: wws
That would probably be a good thing for Toyota or Lexus...but you'd still have the massive cost problem. What good is all that tech if almost nobody finds it affordable? I'm still convinced he let his rivalry with Musk cloud his business judgement. "Beat Tesla, regardless of cost" seemed to be the mantra...and that approach will probably end up deep-sixing them.
The cost problems are due to massively over-ordering parts and supplies. Suppliers willingly spread their engineering and tooling costs over the entire order. $2 million of upfront costs spread over a multi-year order for 200k units is only $10 per unit. Add 2 bucks for actual material and labor for a total of $12/unit. But these are basically take or pay contracts. If you can only sell 20k cars you end up paying $102 per part. Multiply that by Elon's "10,000 parts" and you find yourself losing a fortune on every car you sell. Rivian has the same problem, just to a lesser extent.

Lexus could sell enough Lucids to get unit costs down. Plus they'd negotiate better contracts going forward.

Lucid has issued another recall: Recalls | NHTSA

It will be handled via an OTA update, but this is the first recall I have seen where there was an actual injury to a person as a result of the problem.

Lucid USA, Inc. (Lucid) is recalling certain 2022-2023 Lucid Air vehicles. Under certain conditions, temperature monitoring for the rear seat heaters could become inoperative and result in the rear seats overheating.

On August 1, 2023, a Lucid Air customer experienced charring of a rear seat. Lucid Engineering briefed Lucid’s Product Safety Working Group (PSWG) about the issue on August 3, after which, Engineering continued its analysis of the risk of harm from the issue. Through September 25, 2023, a total of four customer vehicles experienced seat charring or discoloration due to the seat heater overheating the leather seats. One customer reported a burned finger after touching the discolored rear seat surface.

So, I was just perusing the most active Lucid Motors message forum.

A moderator admonished a poster for criticizing management pricing policy.

He said it was against forum guidelines to "armchair CEO."

Armchair CEOing might be more fun than discussing the actual cars themselves. LOL.

And they also have a LCID investor subforum. But I guess you can't discuss possible strategic errors by management that might fundamentally lower the value of LCID stock.

Hmmm.

I wasn't sure it would actually happen: https://ir.lucidmotors.com/node/8906/pdf

View attachment 988479

But being a late adopter, they don't get access until 2025. Will people put off purchasing a Lucid to wait for a native NACS port? Will Lucid survive that long?
That is great news! I wonder if all the mfg’s converting to NACS in 2025 will hurt EV sales in the short term? For example, when Lucid officially converts in 2025 will they now charger quicker using NACS, than the Lucid Airs before that?

I would think the Gravity would come standard with NACS now.

For example, when Lucid officially converts in 2025 will they now charger quicker using NACS, than the Lucid Airs before that?

No.

Unless Tesla boost power or Lucid increases onboard booster, Lucids wil charge at ~45 kW at Tesla Superchargers.

Moving forward Tesla will continue to use NACS, non-Tesla charges will offer CCS in addition to NACS for a while then CCS connectors will start to dissapear.

Many may wait to get the new standard for connectors.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Anyone seen LCID's results?

-$433kcar sold

Lucid reported Q3 revenue of $137.8 million on deliveries of 1,457 vehicles and produced 1,550 vehicles. The company is also adjusting its production outlook for 2023 to 8,000 – 8,500 vehicles to prudently align with deliveries.

How much longer can they stay alive?
Umm.. If they really want to "prudently align [production] with deliveries" they wouldn't be producing anything in Q4. Deliveries have never exceeded 2k, and they currently have almost 5k in inventory. (But maybe their inventory doesn't match what people are actually willing to buy, so they need to produce to match configurations with demand?)

Umm.. If they really want to "prudently align [production] with deliveries" they wouldn't be producing anything in Q4. Deliveries have never exceeded 2k, and they currently have almost 5k in inventory. (But maybe their inventory doesn't match what people are actually willing to buy, so they need to produce to match configurations with demand?)
They have 5,000 cars in inventory? That seems like a lot. If they do have that many, there are not many white ones in Grand Touring models. I have a Cosmos Silver GT on hold, but still conflicted on if I should proceed and sell my Model S.

Lucid had a net loss of $631M and has $5.45B in liquidity.

Management says that is enough to get them through Gravity launch.

Lucid is delivering in Europe and the Middle East imminently.

Ideally you want 60 days inventory plus vehicles in boats shipping to overseas markets so customers don't have to wait months for cars no matter the spec they want.

5k inventory cars is way too much but don't know the right number. Where are we getting the 5k number? The value of inventory would also include cars in the process of being built plus parts.