Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Discussion re: Tesla Motors Website & Forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Motors Website Powered By Drupal

I'm always interested in seeing what tech companies use to power their websites. I often wonder if they go with the strict HTML route or use a content management system back-end. In looking around in the Tesla Motors website code I've finally found something to give it away. The following is line 59 (truncated):
Code:
jQuery.extend(Drupal.settings, {…
This is the only instance of Drupal in their homepage HTML so I didn't think it was enough to prove that they use Drupal. According to a Drupal forum post, the generic login url for a website is .com/?q=user/login Visiting teslamotors.com/?q=user/login gives the sign-in location for any user with a MyTesla account. The website, however, prefers that you use this URL: Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors (which is the same thing, just adjusted by an .htaccess rewrite. This suggests that if Tesla is using Drupal as their CMS system any page have ?q= added after the .com/ and still work. Trying this out on the gallery page and it works:
http://www.teslamotors.com/?q=models/gallery.

Therefore, I am confident in saying that Tesla Motors uses the Drupal CMS. Now, if only I could get a whole copy of their site and see what the admin side of things look like. I wonder if the admin area looks as awesome and custom as the public side. Thought I'd share this in case others are interested.

Now, if only I could get a whole copy of their site and see what the admin side of things look like. I wonder if the admin area looks as awesome and custom as the public side.

Are we talking about the same website here? The teslamotors.com site is very clunky, and is the worst public website I regularly frequent (from a usability point of view).

"Worst" is definitely harsh. The website's gotten reasonably better over time; many of the interactive pages (Charging, Your Questions Answered and even the Design Studio) are rather slick.

The forums are really lame though; they can't hold a candle to TMC :)

And, oh, they need to improve the production status part of the My Tesla garage too!

Really? Worst? Not my experience at all. Actually I've found it quite good.

I expect that when I step away for a few minutes or look at another window and then come back and refresh the page that I will be on the same page. At the TM website it either wants me to log in again (even though I checked the keep-me-logged-in button) or it redirects me to MyGarage. That's pretty much put me off of going to the site unless I really need to.

A good website has a minimum of user annoyances.

I expect that when I step away for a few minutes or look at another window and then come back and refresh the page that I will be on the same page. At the TM website it either wants me to log in again (even though I checked the keep-me-logged-in button) or it redirects me to MyGarage. That's pretty much put me off of going to the site unless I really need to.

A good website has a minimum of user annoyances.

Yep, agreed. That is why I only go there at a last resort now. And I can't view/post private threads so it just about makes its useless as a utility over and above the awesomeness of TMC:biggrin: