Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Discussion re: Tesla Motors Website & Forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, Elon's twitter is definitely hacked:

elonhacked.PNG

Guys just so you know you don't have to be too concerned with this hack. They did not compromise Tesla's web site or systems in any way. They basically got a password to the networksolutions.com website where they can changed the IP which the name 'teslamotors.com' points to. So now you see their web page on their server instead of Tesla's servers. I'm not saying don't change your passwords but just thought it might give some people a bit more peace of mind.

Twitter looks like its back, but the website is down for me (DNS service unavailable). DNS is a distributed system, so changes can take some time to propagate throughout the system. Truth is this type of hack should not happen, but providers have been dragging their feet on DNSSEC and the like.

Guys just so you know you don't have to be too concerned with this hack. They did not compromise Tesla's web site or systems in any way. They basically got a password to the networksolutions.com website where they can changed the IP which the name 'teslamotors.com' points to. So now you see their web page on their server instead of Tesla's servers. I'm not saying don't change your passwords but just thought it might give some people a bit more peace of mind.

Your posting is logical and pragmatic; which makes me certain that the majority of humans will still believe the inevitable FUD.

To me, website is still hacked. App cannot connect to car. Can the hacker sabotage our cars?(I know nothing about IT)

As others have mentioned, this is a DNS issue. The hacker(s) got into the system of the domain host (Network Solutions, Inc.) and simply changed where teslamotors.com points. I seriously doubt there was anything beyond that done. No intrusion into the internal or external systems at Tesla, just hijacked where teslamotors.com points. T

-no A record against that ip
still being attacked?
I purposefully looked at that ip directly to view the page, so that may have poisoned me. I found that IP by looking up the teslamotors.com at various different domain-to-ip websites since I assumed that they will still be seeing the compromised records.

Also, http://www.teslamotors.com is working for me, but teslamotors.com is not.

Last edited:

I seriously doubt that is the extent of what was compromised.

BTW, we had some friends over today. They'd never been in a Tesla. We gave them a ride, even though it was the loaner, and talked to them a lot about the car. The hacked website is what we saw when we tried to go to the main teslamotors site. This wigged them out so much that they said they'd never consider a car that could be so easily hacked. Got it? They assumed that because the website was hacked that the actual cars were too. Very unfortunate. How many others who were just getting interested in Tesla today visited the site and got this and decided...."I think not".

Looks like DNS was hacked, so that means the domain is being pointed to some other server. Looks like teslamotors.com now points to telia.net (wherever) that might be.

Point is, it is unlikely that the TMC website etc itself has been hacked, rather, our internet connected devices are being routed to some other server.