Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All season tires that don’t cut range for a 2018 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to select new tires for my 2018 MX. Top priority is keeping my range as high as possible. Second priority is not too much noise. Third priority is an all season tire that does well in light snow. I’m in Northern California in an area with some winter snow.

I've read a lot of forum posts but there isn't very much out there about the range impact of these different choices.

Currently have Continental CrossContact LX Sports that lasted 22k miles.

Looking at:
Michelin CrossClimate2
Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS Plus
Hankook - Ion Evo
or what do you suggest?

Thanks for your input.

Do you have any pics of them? How's the harshness?
No issues with harshness at all. Here are a couple of pics of the rear.

Tire Pic.jpg
Tire Pic2.jpg

I’m thinking about going with the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3s for our X100D, that rides on 20 inch rims. I hope I won’t regret doing so.

My highest priority is low road/tyre noise. My second priority is maximising range. I don’t care that much how long they’ll last since I’d want to get rid of them anyway if they end up being too noisy.

I’m thinking about going with the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3s for our X100D, that rides on 20 inch rims. I hope I won’t regret doing so.

My highest priority is low road/tyre noise. My second priority is maximising range. I don’t care that much how long they’ll last since I’d want to get rid of them anyway if they end up being too noisy.
You should check out the Hankook ION. Very quiet

Anybody try these PIRELLI SCORPION WEATHERACTIVE's?

Seem to be well reviewed, similar to a CC2 but a little cheaper. Thinking about trying them for my OEM 20" in the winter.

Seem to be well reviewed, similar to a CC2 but a little cheaper. Thinking about trying them for my OEM 20" in the winter.

I have them this winter on my late 2023 MXP on the 20 wheels in matching witdth to stock. Great tire for grip wet and dry, not so great for efficiency. A bit noisier on certain surfaces at lower speeds, but way better grip and feel the the stock Continentals. I will keep them for winters and swap in summers, but you can keep all year round. No observation on wear yet, only 1400 miles so far.
IMG_1163.jpeg
IMG_1162.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: NJturtlePower

had these and went back to cc2...they are 274 a tire vs 234 a tire cc2 so more expensive...noisier and not so great in snow to me in colorado..i get better mileage with the cc2 as well...also not happy pirelli is chinese owned

• Informative
For me cc2 was significantly more expensive on tirerack in stock 2023 X 20 inch size. While I agree that the cc2 would likely be better in powdery snow, I don’t see any issues at all with the Pirelli aside from efficiency and I doubt the cc2 is much better in that regard.

Both will be noisier than the stock continentals, but I vastly prefer the Pirelli traction feel to the continental. I never tried a cc2 but I own a dedicated winter Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 on my MYP in 265/40/20 square with M3P uberturbines (which pushes the width a bit for a 9 inch wheel width) and it has a very similar pattern to the cc2 except for a middle channel cutting the cc2 like directional grooves and likely softer compound. Find the Pirellis better on dry.

I’ll be getting a pair of dedicated summers as I don’t believe the Pirelli is optimal in general but at least I can drive it at any temperature without concern of wear.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
For me cc2 was significantly more expensive on tirerack in stock 2023 X 20 inch size. While I agree that the cc2 would likely be better in powdery snow, I don’t see any issues at all with the Pirelli aside from efficiency and I doubt the cc2 is much better in that regard.

Both will be noisier than the stock continentals, but I vastly prefer the Pirelli traction feel to the continental. I never tried a cc2 but I own a dedicated winter Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 on my MYP in 265/40/20 square with M3P uberturbines (which pushes the width a bit for a 9 inch wheel width) and it has a very similar pattern to the cc2 except for a middle channel cutting the cc2 like directional grooves and likely softer compound. Find the Pirellis better on dry.

I’ll be getting a pair of dedicated summers as I don’t believe the Pirelli is optimal in general but at least I can drive it at any temperature without concern of wear.

only time will tell on the weathermatics. i got almost 4 yrs of all year round drinign in colorado on my last set of cc2..in fact 2 of the tires were only down to 6/32 so i kept those as spares and tried the weathermatics but didnt care for them as much so just last week replaced all 4 again with the cc2(made in usa) tires. No other tire has lasted me this long and still even when worn perform great in snow..