Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All that Porsche/Audi/Mercedez/etc need to do is an ad campaign around this fiasco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean because they're greedy and won't pass savings along to consumers? Guess what, things move on and Tesla have improved margins and made the efficiencies necessary for this price adjustment. You always pay a premium to be an early adoptor, especially in a field as rapidly-advancing as EVs. I know it's frustrating and you will feel cheated. But just enjoy your car, some of us can't even buy it at any price (yet) as it isn't available for us.

Last edited:
You mean because they're greedy and won't pass savings along to consumers? Guess what, things move on. You always pay a premium to be an early adaptor, especially in a field as rapidly-advancing as EVs. I know it's frustrating and you will feel cheated. But just enjoy your car, some of us can't even buy it at any price (yet) as it isn't available for us.
Also because they can play games via the manufacturer's list price, which is only loosely correlated with the street price that people actually pay for vehicles at dealerships. You can literally drive 45 minutes down the road and get a very different price for the same equipment vehicle. Or maybe not even drive down the road and pay a different price than last month/next week/last customer to walk through the door.

Also because their development cycle is slow enough that they know their costs a lot better by the time the vehicle actually ships.

BTW anyone remember the original iPhone price and what happened about 3 month later?

Pepperidge Farms remembers. And I do, too. What also sticks in my mind was one person's message board comment on it all that ran something like "I've lost count of the times that phone got me laid, the extra $200 I paid over the current price was a bargain".

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Sure they should do an advertising campaign - just like this one ;). The price of the P100D (102k without ludicrous and FSD) is now well below what I expect to be charged for the Taycan. If there is an interior refresh (even with a price bump), I will start looking how I get my Porsche deposit back....

It is amazing how Audi, Merc and Jag failed to deliver a car with reasonable range despite so may years of development. The soon-to-be-revealed Taycan has a range of at least 310 mile (WLTP? NEDC? - they did not bother to spell it out; I suspect EPA will be more like 250 miles). Polestar 2 seems a little better, but will see when released into the wild. I really prefer the luxury German sedan interior to Tesla (minus the simplicity of touchscreen operation that only Tesla has), but anything less than 300 miles is a no go for me.

In the end it seems like building a great EV is not so simple after all.....

"buy an EV benz. because the price wont change the day after you purchase" or something to that effect.

So exactly how are they going to promise that two people on the same month in the same dealerships get EXACTLY the same price, never mind across many locations over many months?
HA HA HA

Tesla have very transparent pricing, but don't expect it to be constant.