Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost Got Into Crash - Took Over from Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks, While Auto pilot is great this is exact reason why we should be paying full attention.

I was on auto pilot and had my hands on the wheel and always paying attention.

This car just Pulled right into my lane without any indication. My car was on auto pilot not sure if car would try to save itself and including me. But I noticed it faster and was able to save myself and I honked that driver I wish I would have honked it for a long time:|

Anyhow Here is the footage bad part is right when this was happening file split was happening for teslacam :( Tesla we have to have longer file and not 1 min chunks. :( Hopefully this will get addressed in near future with an update.

I am posting both video because of the split..

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
without any indication.

There was A LOT of indication. About 45 seconds worth.

My neural net predicted that this well known "wandering cut-in" was a high probability event at least 45 seconds before the incident. I imagine HW3 will be capable of the same. ;) (At 10 seconds into the first video, I could tell which vehicle was the problem vehicle, the first time I watched.)

Again, once HW3 comes out with FSD, the neural net will pick this up, and when it sees a wavering driver, it will blast past them at a safe time as a normal driver would do. I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Another example of why AP should not camp in blind spots (though this other driver was clearly negligent and wandering all over the lane for some time beforehand) - though in this case it was hardly a camp...just a situation which normally would call for rapid acceleration through the danger zone.

It's possible this driver was "driving by feel". It's possible; you just have to get attuned to the bumps between lanes. ;)

Glad you were able to take over and avoid a collision.

Last edited:
Hard to say what happened internally within AP without having access to the logs.

Maybe you took over just before the threshold to move over was exceeded.

Or maybe somehow the ultrasonics didn't detect the car.

What I'm hoping for in HW3 is better distance estimation with the side cameras. Right now it's pretty bad, and you can see it within the UI where it doesn't always get the distance between you and the car next to you right.

It's also why I wish the car had rear/side radar.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
@AlanSubie4Life is spot on. I detected the same thing seconds into your first video. I knew what was going to happen before it happened. He was either tired, texting, or drunk. Seriously....he swerved into your lane I’m not kidding like 3 times before the aforementioned ‘incident’. How could what happened be a surprise?
How could you not expect or anticipate it? I see this all the time on the interstate. ESPECIALLY from truckers who I know are tired on my commutes. I’ll either hang back, or accelerate to get past this ‘type of behavior’ quickly because I know it’s a danger zone to be ‘pacing’ basically at the ‘same speed’ or remotely slightly faster while your passing.
Glad you avoided catastrophe.

Ski

Reactions: KenC and 127.0.0.0
Maybe I'm a little slow, but what's the issue? Sure, the car on the right encroached in your lane, hitting the bot dots, but then went back. Based on my experience with AP, this is how is works. (Even more unnerving when its an 18-wheeler encroaching in your lane, rolling over the line markings.)

Or, do you want the AP to lock up the breaks? Push your car more left towards teh wall?

Prescient! A full 15 seconds before the video started. ;)

I am not sure what you mean? The first clip is a minute long and that doesn’t even show the badness in its entirety....

For the people that knew what was going to happen, what gave it away?

I guess to spell it out, though our point is obvious: it is very clear early in the video exactly which vehicle is the offender. I mean, obviously we knew there would be a near miss. I personally try not to read the description and go straight to the video for posts like this, anyway. I like to be unbiased by prior descriptions.

The point is that really, when using AP, you still have to be 100% driving and controlling the car and monitoring the environment. Obviously. You can’t let the car do anything you would not do as a defensive driver, if you had full manual control. There must be zero reliance on the car’s ability (or lack thereof) to avoid a collision.

Reactions: Buddy and 127.0.0.0
Yeah, Now that I am looking at video he was kind of waving in and out of his lanes. But yea I saw him as soon he got into my lane..I just did not wanted to wait to see those 2 feet if ap takes over and try avoiding I just took over as soon I noticed.

Also I wish DashCam do not split every 1 min or so .. If they are a bit more longer..

Now Yes, Drunk driver or terms like this hopefully in future a possible warning like car in ahead of you or behind of you waving in and out of lanes..

Another cool thing will be lot of times I have to see for bikes approaching from back and move over as well here in california.. So it be cool if AP can do this for us in near future when bikes are approaching it hugs towards the left

Last edited:
The first clip is 29 seconds for me *shrug*. Anyhoo, as you said, it’s up to the driver to maintain full attention and control.

I think it was a minute long when first posted (cam clips are 1 minute each), though I could be wrong. I swear I saw video with the sedan adjacent to the pickup (and veering all over the road of course) at around 10 seconds in. But I may also be cray-cray.