Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alpha Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am actually still liking the front of it. Looks good !

I think it looks a lot more American - the prototype had a lot of Maserati in the front, which was a good thing. To my eyes this is less attractive, but it may look better when comparing close-up or studio shots rather than screen grabs.

The rear end on the prototype was also better, IMHO. The curve of the spoiler lip seemed greater than on the Alpha build.

Never mind - still have to get one :)

You can see it here:
tesla-s-2011-01-18.jpg

[video=vimeo;18614767]http://vimeo.com/18614767[/video]

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/silver-tesla-model-s-alpha-hits-the-road-carves-some-corners-v/

Seems like the front grille is mostly closed off compared to the original prototype (probably for aerodynamic reasons, esp. since the radiators don't take air from there?)

I guess it is time to play spot the changes; anyone else spot any differences?

The nose as a whole looks much better now, except for that shiny closed off plastic grill. I much prefeer the metallic mesh they had on one of the very early models. The front lights though look a lot better and I think the sides/flanks are better as well. I can't decide if the rear is better or worse, it's kind of nice with the metallic thing pointing to the smaller red rear lights. The doors though due to the black undercarriage part doesn't look like they fit properly into the side of the car. That should be fixed with making sure the line between the black underneath and the silver/metallic is a long flowing line from tire to tire IMHO.

Cobos

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/alpha-hits-road
rear_3_4_motion.jpg

tesla_model_s_leaked_-500x333.jpg

• Bigger side view mirrors.
  • No vent behind the T logo badge. (Badge is wider and less tall.)
  • Aluminum protrusion in the diffuser below the rear bumper.
  • Rear bumper now sticks out a bit more.
  • More of a gap above the license plate for license plate lights.
  • There is a black layer along the underside. (Paint doesn't extend as close to the ground.)
  • Red reflectors below the rear bumper.
  • There are some differences in the silver trim around the windows.

Last edited:
I wonder if they still have the same sort of (= =) shaped driving / parking lights in the rear. So far the video shows a single point of light from each side instead of a "squiggle".

I don't like that horizontal silver line below the doors. I breaks up the flow to the neigboring body panels.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/silver-tesla-model-s-alpha-hits-the-road-carves-some-corners-v/
tesla-s-2011-01-18.jpg

18115260-623x389.jpg

http://wot.motortrend.com/520-customers-place-orders-for-tesla-model-s-hybrid-sport-sedan-4132.html

• No T logo or horizontal silver line on the bumper. (T logo moves onto the hood.)
  • As said before the side-view mirrors are very different. (More oval, taller, less pointy.)
  • Cutouts (with horizontal stripes) for the A/C condenser inlets below what used to be fog lights(?)
  • Wheels are slightly different with the vanes/blades not meeting a noticeable ring around the lug nuts. (10 blades instead of 9.)
  • Aforementioned side quarter panel logo changes and vent removal.
  • Headlight "whisker" highlight runs on the edge of the hood cutout instead of zigzagging. (I think I heard it isn't blue anymore either.)
  • The rear door handle seems more horizontal and more in line with the front handle.
  • An air-dam lip protruding forward that wasn't there before.
  • The whole front end (bumper and headlights) seem a little higher than before. Probably to meet height regulations for those items.
  • It looks like the black plastic/urethane cover over the front bumper sticks out a bit more...(?)
  • Is the windshield more reflective?

Last edited:
To add my own two cents to the discussion...

Front: I like the new front overall, although I agree with several others that the black plastic grill piece should be replaced with black metal. Aside from that, however, I think the front looks more mature and I like the evolution versus the earlier prototypes. I do miss the blue light-pipe effects of the prototype, but I figured those wouldn't be street-legal and would have to go.

Side: I too miss the Tesla 'T' vents but I think the overall side profile looks solid. The side profile looks a little awkward on the alpha because the doors seem to have a metallic lip that extends below the paint line of the remainder of the side profile. From a distance, or at the small size that is shown on the blog, it looks like a mis-alignment of panels. The door handles still don't look final, but those and the side mirrors look more mature as well.

Rear: The rear lighting doesn't live up to my expectations. I hope that what is shown in the video is a placeholder since even when the headlights are on, the rear shows little illumination. The bulk of the rear light fixture is wasted space. I'm not happy to see the "light pipe" look of the rear lights removed. The following is a poor photo, but this is what I'm referring to:

tesla-s-jim.jpg

I'm also disappointed to see the diffuser treatment of the prototype go. In the prototypes, the diffuser appeared to be wrapped by the painted left and right panels--an effect used on many sports sedans.