Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with most of what the author writes. I think SPWR is one of the strongest solar players out there and will likely continue to grow as solar grows. The two items of concern for me long-term for SPWR that might limit their growth is:
1. Lack of market focus - as the author points out, they're in utility, commercial and residential. I'd say that it's tough to do all those markets well. On the flip side, they could pull resources toward the markets that do well.
2. Lack of super high-growth - capacity limits them and while expanding to Fab4 helps increase capacity by 35%, it still won't be realized until 3 years from now. It's tough to give a very high multiple to a company that's restrained in growth.

These two reasons are why I'm more bullish on SCTY long-term. SCTY is one of the most focused solar companies out there. They're focused on the residential market in the U.S. in the states where it makes the most economical sense to go solar right now (and they're expanding as the value proposition for solar grows with reduced costs). Eventually, they'll go international IMO but to scale a company I prefer the initial laser focus approach that SCTY has. It shows a lot of promise. Also, SCTY is growing installs at a 100% YOY rate and will likely continue this growth rate over the next few years. This is truly amazing. And they claim they're on a path to get 1 million customers within 5 years. SPWR, FSLR, Tier 1 Chinese solars - nobody can match the growth rate of SCTY, or even come close. In the short and mid-term, who knows where SCTY will trade because it'll be volatile as the whole solar industry tends to be. But I'm bullish long-term on solar and while I think SPWR and others will do well, I just think SCTY is in a different league.

I find it funny that we think almost exactly alike on TSLA but have opposite views on solar; that is the great thing about the stock market, it keeps score to see who was right. Where you see weakness, I see strength and vice versa:

1. You say "lack of market focus", I say "diverse strategy that allows flexibility to take advantage of market economics." As you heard on the SPWR CC, when CEO was asked why residential leases went down QoQ, he said because they chose to go elsewhere with their panels. They are able to decide what market gives them the best economics and quickly shift focus to take advantage of short-term market conditions. They can go from country to country, or they can go from residential to commercial to utility scale. Look at Renesola: they had 13% of sales from the US in Q2 and are projecting 33% from US in Q3, that is how quickly they were able to shift to take advantage of higher ASP's in the US.

2. Growth for SCTY is already priced in. They are going to deploy under 300MW's this year and 450 next year, but they have a higher market cap than SPWR of 4.5b (plus whatever dilution the recent secondary will bring). Jinko Solar has a market cap that is 8x smaller, yet will deploy 3x as much MW's. Same goes for all other Chinese solars.

You also tend to ignore the big risks for SCTY, such:

-Net metering going away
-30% federal tax credit going away beginning 2016
-Their need to borrow $billions to finance their operations if not tens of $billions per year as they grow.
-Panel shortage coming up in 2014, which will lead to higher ASP's. SCTY will either have to pay more or buy from less reputable sources.
-How long will these Chinese panels really last? SCTY is banking that they will last more than 20 years, but it is unproven technology that has only been out a few years. If all of these panels start to fall apart after 10 years then the company will go bankrupt. They are putting a lot of faith into Chinese manufacturing. SPWR panels on the other hand are of highest quality and will last the longest with least amount of degradation.
-Companies are coming out with $0 down solar purchases instead of leases. Why somebody would want to lease a system is beyond my comprehension. Not only do you give all of the financial benefit to SCTY, but it also becomes a huge liability when you sell your house.

I have read an article just the other day that says that the Chinese manufacturers are deciding not to send panels to the US in current Q4, because there is so much demand for solar in China that they are shipping everything locally. Projects have to be completed by year end to take advantage of FIT. Chinese demand will be high enough in 2014 to soak up 50% of tier 1 panel supply. What if China decides to install more PV? There will be nothing left for SCTY.

And last of all, I still can't get around SCTY's valuation. It is already pricing in 2017 or 2020 installations, but there is no certainty that the company will be able to grow that fast. It is kind of like TSLA, but with TSLA there is much less uncertainty.

I just don't see SCTY as a great risk/reward play. There is a good chance that you will turn out to be right on SCTY, but there is just way too much risk in my opinion. There are many smart people that think SCTY's business model will not thrive in 5 years. I know that SPWR is a lot lower risk and still has potential for great return. In my opinion SPWR is the best risk/reward play in the solar sector. The Chinese stocks are good if you want to make a quick buck, but don't mind losing 30% in a few days every now and then. SCTY, might just turn out to be a $20bn market cap in 2020, but it might go to $0 as well. SPWR might get to $10b - $15b in 2020, but it will not go to $0; and I am fairly certain it will be above today's price unless their is a technological advancement that makes them obsolete; but by that time they will have enough cash to take advantage of new technologies.

I just see SPWR as a much safer play that could still yield very high rewards over the next few years.

Nice win for FSLR
Sleepy i know we dont fallow FSLR much due to their tech and larger market cap, but do you think this push above 50 might start a cup break out?
Options are priced pretty high for big run this coming year

I can kind of see the cup with handle that you are talking about, but FSLR needs to go up 15% to break out of it, and as much as I would like to see that happen tomorrow, it probably won't. But if we have a strong follow-up week next week then it can happen. FSLR is up 7.5% AH, but tomorrow is a whole new day; I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this stock go up 15%-20% tomorrow. I would be a buyer if I were sitting on the sidelines. Icahn must be happy.

But with great results from SPWR and great results from FSLR, I feel like this might be the start of another solar rally. I just hope that the general market doesn't decide to correct after this rally we had. I think that when you combine FSLR's and SPWR's earnings the market will definitely take notice and I wouldn't be surprised to see some institutional money start pouring in to this sector over the next few days. I am hopeful that CSIQ decides to announce earnings next week, because they are going to be great as well; that would really light a fire under these solar stocks.

I would like to hear what the analysts have to say on SPWR and FSLR earnings. Can someone please post some of the analyst comments here if you have access to them?

I am bullish all the way on solar, and it is only getting started.

Hey sleepyhead, would love to ask you some more in-depth questions via video chat (ie., Google hangout). Would you be available this weekend (maybe Sun evening?)? We could share the hangout url with folks here as well so they can join in.

Why is Canadian Solar Inc. (CSIQ) considered a Chinese company?

I have been researching it and although it does have the bulk of its manufacturing done in China, its head office is in Guelph, Ontario and it was founded in Toronto, Ontario. Even on its own website (Overview) it says "Canadian Solar is a Canadian Company with Global Reach". The site of manufacturing doesn't equate to the country of origin of a company (ie. Nike is not considered a Chinese company). Maybe it doesn't really matter much, but I am Canadian and grew up in Guelph so there is an element of pride for me! :)

Why is Canadian Solar Inc. (CSIQ) considered a Chinese company?

I have been researching it and although it does have the bulk of its manufacturing done in China, its head office is in Guelph, Ontario and it was founded in Toronto, Ontario. Even on its own website (Overview) it says "Canadian Solar is a Canadian Company with Global Reach". The site of manufacturing doesn't equate to the country of origin of a company (ie. Nike is not considered a Chinese company). Maybe it doesn't really matter much, but I am Canadian and grew up in Guelph so there is an element of pride for me! :)

I asked this same question recently but didn't see an answer. I'd be interested to hear from sleepy on this one.

Hey sleepyhead, would love to ask you some more in-depth questions via video chat (ie., Google hangout). Would you be available this weekend (maybe Sun evening?)? We could share the hangout url with folks here as well so they can join in.

DaveT - send me a pm with your gmail, so that we can exchange info.

I am actually going to Miami tomorrow for the whole week, so I am not sure if I will be able to sit down and chat. We can try to do it this Sunday, but I can't commit yet.

Next Sunday would be better, but if you wanted to talk TSLA as well then it will be better to do it now obviously. I might be able to work something out, will see once I get there tomorrow.

As far as SCTY goes, I am not saying that it will fail. I never really researched the company in depth, because I think it is too risky, volatile, unpredictable, and impossible to value. You know a lot more about SCTY than anyone here, so I am sure that you have a great grasp on their opportunities.

I only have a limited amount of time to devote my research to, so I made a conscious choice to stay away from SCTY (for the reasons I mentioned) and from FSLR, since I am not a fan of their technology. To be honest both of these companies are one-trick ponies and I prefer the more diverse crystalline module producers, power plant builders, residential and commercial suppliers, etc.

I made a conscious choice because that is where I think the future will be. SCTY may still turn out to be the biggest winner, but I feel that the other stocks are a lot safer. Ben Kallo from Baird also thinks that SPWR is the best choice. So does Travis Hoium from Motley Fool, who has been on top of solar this whole year.

Quite frankly if I wanted to win our bet, I would have chosen CSIQ or JKS. I am 90% sure that those two stocks will have a greater return than SCTY. I am only 70% sure that SPWR will, but SPWR vs. SCTY is more fair and can go either way.

- - - Updated - - -

I can kind of see the cup with handle that you are talking about, but FSLR needs to go up 15% to break out of it, and as much as I would like to see that happen tomorrow, it probably won't. But if we have a strong follow-up week next week then it can happen. FSLR is up 7.5% AH, but tomorrow is a whole new day; I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this stock go up 15%-20% tomorrow. I would be a buyer if I were sitting on the sidelines. Icahn must be happy.

But with great results from SPWR and great results from FSLR, I feel like this might be the start of another solar rally. I just hope that the general market doesn't decide to correct after this rally we had. I think that when you combine FSLR's and SPWR's earnings the market will definitely take notice and I wouldn't be surprised to see some institutional money start pouring in to this sector over the next few days. I am hopeful that CSIQ decides to announce earnings next week, because they are going to be great as well; that would really light a fire under these solar stocks.

I would like to hear what the analysts have to say on SPWR and FSLR earnings. Can someone please post some of the analyst comments here if you have access to them?

I am bullish all the way on solar, and it is only getting started.

FSLR finished up 17.5%, and that is what I thought it deserved; the ER was good for a 5% gain, but the 250 MW power plant sale is what really mattered and that accounted for at least 10%, since it shows that FSLR can sign new big power plant deals. I actually didn't think that the market would take it that far, but I am glad it did (even though I don't have any FSLR exposure). It deserves a much higher valuation than it currently has.

The media got this one completely wrong imo, since they focused on the ER results instead of what really matters. The market was giving FSLR a low PE of 10x, because it didn't believe that FSLR can get competitive deals in the future. That it was clearing out its backlog and would run out of projects eventually. It will probably now go to a more respectable PE of 16x - 20x within the next year; especially if it can sign more deals.

Let's hope that SCTY has great results next week.

Great times ahead for solar. I am really excited about the future. Feels a lot better than investing in XOM (a company in a dying industry), PM (a company that helps people die), FB (a company with a dying share price), or BBY (a dying company). The outsized returns just make you feel even better.

The solar train is about to leave the station.