Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to HomeLink module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just putting a recommendation out there for Tailwind (Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller). Not associated with the company, I'm a customer only. Great integration with your phone, the opener is seamless coordination with the sensor which is in the car, works pretty well.

The garage door opens automatically when I drive home and get close to the house, The door closes automatically when I leave the house and the device integrates easily with Alexa, iOS Shortcuts, etc...and it's a whole lot cheaper then the Tesla solution!

I had the same concern as you. I recently had a loaner MS and programmed the Homelink. Assuming Homelink in my MY would behave the same, it does not know if the door is open or closed. If it is programed to open/close based on your proximity, which is the feature I liked about it, it will send a signal, regardless of the doors current position.
Because of that experience, I decided to use my regular door opener with double sided tape and attach it to the back of the screen near the lower left corner. Its not visible from any area inside or outside the car. I simply reach under and behind the screen and hit the button. I never liked them clipped on the visors. Too easy for a thief to grab, find my reg with address and, well you know... Hope that helps. Cheers!!

I've got the same concern about Homelink not knowing the if the door is open or closed.

I recall seeing some pictures on this website of the car damage done when the Homelink operated door came down on the car.

Was about to order the Homelink and saw a discussion online about using SimpleCommands paired with various home automation products as well as Chamberlain's MyQ app. Was able to configure SimpleCommands to open/close my Chamberlain garage door opener using Geofencing--works just like the Tesla Homelink install, but cost was $0. Might want to investigate it as an option, YMMV--->

I have the tailwind as well works great for auto-open (most of the time) and it has auto-close but I have turned that off. The nice part is it won't auto open or close just with your phone you need to have a small $20 puck in your car + your phone.
Will it activate the open/close switch if the garage is already open? For example, if my wife is already in the garage doing something and has it opened already. Is it smart enough to know the signal doesn’t need to be sent when it’s already open.

Will it activate the open/close switch if the garage is already open? For example, if my wife is already in the garage doing something and has it opened already. Is it smart enough to know the signal doesn’t need to be sent when it’s already open.
It will not attempt to open an already opened garage door. It uses a sensor to determine the door’s state.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Just installed MyQ Garage Hub, took 30 minutes max. It has a wireless garage door open/close sensor so no inadvertent door closing. Can't complain for $70.

Spoke too soon. It worked fine after install, can continuously open/close the garage door all day long. But if you leave it for a while, like normal use, the device occassionally goes offline and unable to open/close the door. Happened 3 times in less than 2 days. I tried resolving with MyQ customer support but they claim it's my router firewall. Don't know but I'm not changing my router security settings for this device. I returned the MyQ device for refund.

Spoke too soon. It worked fine after install, can continuously open/close the garage door all day long. But if you leave it for a while, like normal use, the device occassionally goes offline and unable to open/close the door. Happened 3 times in less than 2 days. I tried resolving with MyQ customer support but they claim it's my router firewall. Don't know but I'm not changing my router security settings for this device. I returned the MyQ device for refund.
Garage Mate is Bluetooth so no router issues.

Another option for $29.99
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 9.10.05 PM.png

If you are looking for an alternative to having the HomeLink module installed and need to control an entry gate and your garage, I found a product that for only $24 and works great! I was planning to have the HomeLink module installed in my MY but got to thinking about the cost and didn’t like the idea of having a technician disassembling my frunk just to install the darn thing. So I began researching universal remote controls and found this unit at HomeDepot but it’s also available on Amazon:
Chamberlain Universal Clicker Black Garage Door Remote Control-KLIK3U-BK2 - The Home Depot

It was easy to program and works great. While you still have to press a button when leave or return to your garage, it’s the same functionality that I had in my X5 with HomeLink buttons on the rear view mirror. The Tesla HomeLink module cool factor (open/close upon approach and leaving) is really nice but not worth $300 in my opinion. I would much rather put those funds towards the acceleration boost which is exactly what I’m planning to do!

Anyone know how to return a HomeLink module to Tesla? :)

Was about to order the Homelink and saw a discussion online about using SimpleCommands paired with various home automation products as well as Chamberlain's MyQ app. Was able to configure SimpleCommands to open/close my Chamberlain garage door opener using Geofencing--works just like the Tesla Homelink install, but cost was $0. Might want to investigate it as an option, YMMV--->
I went this route as well, however, I have had issues with the SimpleCommands always working. What I did was follow some other instructions and setup a link to Alexa from SimpleCommands and use that to create routines. Works like a champ! opens and closes automatically 100% so far...had it setup for about a week.

I had this happened with the black MyQ unit. I couldn't figure out what was causing the disconnect so I returned it. However, a friend happened to have a newer white unit so I tried it and for last three weeks, it never failed. I wonder if it can be voice activated sometime how. I linked it with my ring units so maybe it is possible, I have to try it.

I had this happened with the black MyQ unit. I couldn't figure out what was causing the disconnect so I returned it. However, a friend happened to have a newer white unit so I tried it and for last three weeks

I was willing to try the white MyQ but chatted with Chamberlain technical support and they said there's no difference between the black and white MyQ other than the newer white one is compatible with more garage door openers. The technical support kept saying that TCP port 8883 needs to be enabled on my wireless router but they're not able to tell me why or what the MyQ does on this TCP port. It's a security risk to lower the security settings on a router as it opens the door to hackers.

i was originally planning to get Homelink, but the garage door is all we need; no gates or other RF controlled devices. After some research I got the Tailwind kit and am quite happy with it. Took about 90 minutes to install the dedicated, hard-wired door sensor; everything else was about 15 minutes. After reading all the feedback about unreliable wireless door sensors for the MyQ and other systems, am glad I went with the Tailwind unit. Door status has been perfect. Auto opening when coming home is reliable. I haven’t bothered to set up the Siri shortcut for voice activated close and open yet; Tailwind is working on HomeKit integration so I may just wait for that to finish before doing any further automations.
Will this work with any garage door opener ? I have Liftmaster
My other car is not a Tesla and uses in car programmable garage door controls - will this continue to work ?

Thank you

Will this work with any garage door opener ? I have Liftmaster
My other car is not a Tesla and uses in car programmable garage door controls - will this continue to work ?

Thank you
Check their website; there are a few odd kinds of openers that are more finicky for the install; not sure if Liftmaster is one or not.

They got their Apple HomeKit integration done a while ago, and it works great.

Another option for $29.99
View attachment 663621

I went ahead and got the HomeKit version for 20 dollars more. Installed and have been working like a champ. You can even voice command Siri to open the door.

Over thanksgiving I picked up an Aqara camera and a mini switch (total ~70 USD). The camera goes in the garage for extra peace of mind for when I’m away. I attached the switch behind the center display on the Model Y, and linked it to talk with the Meross controller in the HomeKit app. Now I can click a button instead of pulling out my phone to open the garage door.

Attachments

• 584F09E8-CD33-41DB-A29D-C0F11EA7B8B2.jpeg
    584F09E8-CD33-41DB-A29D-C0F11EA7B8B2.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 57