Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always unlock at location feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, this has been discussed before. I too like my car unlocked while in my garage, so I have walk-away locking disabled. As such, I have to use the fob to lock it anywhere else.

The car knows that when the charging cable is plugged in while the car is at my house, it is to use the timer and not start charging until midnight. Seems like it would be easy to have location-based locking via the same feature.

Of course you would not have to use the feature just as you may not activate the suspension rise if you didn't actively use it.

Clearly in the minority here, but I'd constantly be paranoid that I had not de-activated it, or it got turned back on somehow. I never, ever EVER want the car to remain unlocked when I'm not near it. Even in my garage which itself is fairly secure.

I have no problem with the car autolocking. Just hang/set your key just inside your door to your house. If you forget to unlock your car your are only about a dozen steps from your key.

The irony is that even with the car unlocked, overnight it sleeps and if my wife gets to her passenger door before I'm in range for auto-extend she can NOT open the door. Pressing on any handle except the drivers (when sleeping) will not extend.

So now that I think about it does me little good to have the 'always unlocked' vs. bringing the key fob. I try to locate the fob in my pocket and unlock as we are walking toward the car so she can open her door without waiting :redface:

.... I too like my car unlocked while in my garage, so I have walk-away locking disabled. As such, I have to use the fob to lock it anywhere else.
[FONT=&amp]Even if you have walk-away locking enabled, an obscure feature of the MS will let you keep your MS unlocked in your garage (or anywhere else).[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Just double click your fob to unlock your MS while all doors are closed, walk away and your MS will stay unlocked.[/FONT]
C[FONT=&amp]ome back to your MS (with or without your fob) and you (or anybody) can touch a door handle to get in and use the screen, open the glove box, frunk or tailgate (do anything but start your MS). [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
If you come back with your fob and walk away again, your MS stays unlocked unless you've stepped on the brake with the fob in the car, which re-enables walk-away locking. A single click of your fob to lock your MS also re-enables walk-away locking.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
This obscure feature is handy for [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]keeping your MS unlocked in your garage, but if you're not careful it could lead to accidentally leaving your MS unlocked in a public place. If you unlock it with a double click (say to get an umbrella) and don't lock it or step on the brake before walking away, it will stay unlocked.[/FONT] You won't even know it was unlocked when you return. I make it a policy to never double click to unlock, except in my garage.

[FONT=&amp]Even if you have walk-away locking enabled, an obscure feature of the MS will let you keep your MS unlocked in your garage (or anywhere else).[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Just double click your fob to unlock your MS while all doors are closed, walk away and your MS will stay unlocked.[/FONT]
C[FONT=&amp]ome back to your MS (with or without your fob) and you (or anybody) can touch a door handle to get in and use the screen, open the glove box, frunk or tailgate (do anything but start your MS). [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
If you come back with your fob and walk away again, your MS stays unlocked unless you've stepped on the brake with the fob in the car, which re-enables walk-away locking. A single click of your fob to lock your MS also re-enables walk-away locking.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
This obscure feature is handy for [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]keeping your MS unlocked in your garage, but if you're not careful it could lead to accidentally leaving your MS unlocked in a public place. If you unlock it with a double click (say to get an umbrella) and don't lock it or step on the brake before walking away, it will stay unlocked.[/FONT] You won't even know it was unlocked when you return. I make it a policy to never double click to unlock, except in my garage.

When you do this, at least in my observations, the dash screen will often come on at some point and stay on (not the 17", just the dash).

When you do this, at least in my observations, the dash screen will often come on at some point and stay on (not the 17", just the dash).
When walking into my house from the garage, I regularly doubleclick my fob to temporarily disable walk-away locking and keep my car unlocked. Before going to bed, I go in the garage (without a fob in range) to plug in the charging cable and I don't recall ever seeing anything lit in the car (I would have noticed because the garage is dark). I also occasionally walk in the garage with my fob and I also don't recall seeing anything lit.

I guess my routine is not proof that my dash never comes on while sitting there unlocked. I'm curious, under what circumstances have you seen it "come on and stay on"?

I guess my routine is not proof that my dash never comes on while sitting there unlocked. I'm curious, under what circumstances have you seen it "come on and stay on"?

A while back (prior to 6.0) I would often come out to my garage and find the dash lit up. If I hit the fob to lock the car it would go out, but often I would check an hour or two later and it would be on again. I realize that is not the exact scenario we're talking about here, but recently I was at a gathering of Tesla owners and observed one of the parked cars with the dash lit up like this. The owner said it was because he had done the double-click and walked away.

A while back (prior to 6.0) I would often come out to my garage and find the dash lit up. If I hit the fob to lock the car it would go out, but often I would check an hour or two later and it would be on again. I realize that is not the exact scenario we're talking about here, but recently I was at a gathering of Tesla owners and observed one of the parked cars with the dash lit up like this. The owner said it was because he had done the double-click and walked away.
Now I'm curious. Over the last couple days, I've peeked in my garage about a dozen times and nothing was lit. Maybe it's dependent on a setting, like "Auto-Present Handles", which I keep off. I'll try changing some settings the next several times I pull into my garage. This will also serve to give me something to think about other than trading up to a P85D.

Nope, I'm with you on this as well. No matter how secure my home garage is, I always want my Tesla locked. Can't predict someone breaking into the garage, why make it that much easier for them to access the car? Also, when I'm working in the yard, & have the garage door open, going in & out of the house, I'd rather the car stays locked so anyone walking by with any funny ideas don't have easy access. But even more important than specific examples, psychologically it's more peace of mind knowing the car is always locked when I walk away. One less thing to remember or worry about. Yes, I can check on my phone or click the fob, but that's an extra step (and extra thing to remember) every time I get out of my car. It may inconvenience me perhaps once daily to find the car locked & have to get my fob; however it would inconvenience me at least 4-6 times a day to lock the doors every time I get out, ... that is if I remember to.

Clearly in the minority here, but I'd constantly be paranoid that I had not de-activated it, or it got turned back on somehow. I never, ever EVER want the car to remain unlocked when I'm not near it. Even in my garage which itself is fairly secure.

Nope, I'm with you on this as well. No matter how secure my home garage is, I always want my Tesla locked..

Besides the security issues, I've had experience with the Prius where the car may quickly drain the 12V battery if the door isn't locked (not because of the locking, but because something may be active). Having the car locked is the only way to ensure it's really off. Now this is likely to not be a problem with the Model S as the traction battery keeps the 12V up even when off, but in the worst case it could make the difference between starting in the morning and needing a jump.

However, as an option I'm fine with it as long as I can turn it off.

Now I'm curious. Over the last couple days, I've peeked in my garage about a dozen times and nothing was lit. Maybe it's dependent on a setting, like "Auto-Present Handles", which I keep off. I'll try changing some settings the next several times I pull into my garage. This will also serve to give me something to think about other than trading up to a P85D.

I have not had the dash lighting up problem for at least the last 3 firmware upgrades (I'm on my second flavor of 6.0 now). The fellow who's car I saw lit up in the parking lot was on a pre-6.0 version of the software.

Disappointing that many owners have asked for an "unlock at home" feature, or "disable walk away lock at home location", or "set a HOME profile at home location" option - all with the purpose of allowing you to have walk away lock enabled on your profile, but have the car remain unlocked if in your garage. Exactly the same as setting suspension based on location, clearly easy for Tesla to do as an option so it would have to be positively selected for those that want it. Three years after being raised, no response from Tesla and when I asked about it in Australia the answer was "oh, that would be useful, we will talk to the tech guys!"

Reactions: Tedkidd