Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I charging incorrectly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generation charge is 136.42 transmission charge is 25.95. Distribution charge is 64.22.

@hcdavis3 You need to add together the kWh rates of all three of these to get your real price-per-kWh number. On Eversource in MA you should be somewhere in the 0.22 - 0.27 range I would guess.
Thanks very much Alketi. I plugged into Teslafi your high number of .27 and lo and behold it comes out to 93 bucks which explains the extra cost.
This is not as great a saving vs an ICE car that I had hoped. I drive so little I’d probably put that amount of gas over a month. Maybe a little more. I’ll call Eversource to get a net net KWh price and hoping it’s at the lower range of your estimate. You’ve been very helpful. Thanks very much.

Attachments

• AC7528F3-7A88-4522-8DD4-0C2D1D2CF301.png
    AC7528F3-7A88-4522-8DD4-0C2D1D2CF301.png
    503.3 KB · Views: 51
Generation charge is 136.42 transmission charge is 25.95. Distribution charge is 64.22.

@hcdavis3 You need to add together the kWh rates of all three of these to get your real price-per-kWh number. On Eversource in MA you should be somewhere in the 0.22 - 0.27 range I would guess.
Found this online. 2019 rate. Gives me net net rate of 18.55835 cents per kWh. Does that sound right?

Attachments

• 57EDC43C-0A65-4CE1-B979-03AE04894D30.jpeg
    57EDC43C-0A65-4CE1-B979-03AE04894D30.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 39
Thanks again Rocky. Will this help my electric bill? I deleted Stats app and my car went to sleep immediately.
It should help. Keeping the car awake does use a fair amount of electricity. FWIW, my electric bill for the EV part is about $40 a month for 2100 miles, two cars. I have all the energy savings settings set to the position where they will save energy. I don't use any third party apps. (The ones I have tried in the past all wanted to wake the car up to do their thing.)

Reactions: Rocky_H
It should help. Keeping the car awake does use a fair amount of electricity. FWIW, my electric bill for the EV part is about $40 a month for 2100 miles, two cars. I have all the energy savings settings set to the position where they will save energy. I don't use any third party apps. (The ones I have tried in the past all wanted to wake the car up to do their thing.)
Thanks very much Jerry. It appears that my EV part is more than double what yours is. I used to use Stats app but I couldn’t find a way to turn off polling. As soon as I deleted it my car went to sleep. 93 bucks a month for 1200 miles one car. I’m moving to Texas.

Thanks very much Jerry. It appears that my EV part is more than double what yours is. I used to use Stats app but I couldn’t find a way to turn off polling. As soon as I deleted it my car went to sleep. 93 bucks a month for 1200 miles one car. I’m moving to Texas.

You should really consider solar......my situation is a little complex, Geothermal heating/cooling system with dual meters and interruptible supply to get a cheaper rate for the Geo part.....but my "non-Geo" meter uses about 7500 kWh per year before we got the Model 3.....we added solar, our bill is zero and we added enough panels to handle another EV in the future.

The payback in MA is much better than NH....when we installed I calculated payback at 7 years, MA has better incentives so your payback should be excellent. 2019 is the last year for the 30% Fed tax rebate.....starts decreasing next year. Good time to add some energy help to your home.

You should really consider solar......my situation is a little complex, Geothermal heating/cooling system with dual meters and interruptible supply to get a cheaper rate for the Geo part.....but my "non-Geo" meter uses about 7500 kWh per year before we got the Model 3.....we added solar, our bill is zero and we added enough panels to handle another EV in the future.

The payback in MA is much better than NH....when we installed I calculated payback at 7 years, MA has better incentives so your payback should be excellent. 2019 is the last year for the 30% Fed tax rebate.....starts decreasing next year. Good time to add some energy help to your home.
Thanks Surf. I used to sell Vivint solar and did a survey of my own house. Not even close to enough sun.

oh bummer.....
by the way, you mentioned the stats app.....I was thinking to pick this up, but does it really affect the kWh usage??
It should because it wakes the car up every time it poles rather than let it sleep. The longer the car is sleeping, the deeper sleep it goes into, so the car never gets into a very deep sleep state with that kind of app.

• Informative
It should because it wakes the car up every time it poles rather than let it sleep. The longer the car is sleeping, the deeper sleep it goes into, so the car never gets into a very deep sleep state with that kind of app.[/QUOTE
oh bummer.....
by the way, you mentioned the stats app.....I was thinking to pick this up, but does it really affect the kWh usage??[/QUO
Stats was about 15 bucks iirc. Lots of good info that I didn’t really use. My car has been asleep for a long time for the 1st time. I haven’t opened the Tesla app during that time. Teslafi has a a deep sleep mode but I haven’t used it yet. The owner of Stats app has been really supportive on the forums.

@hcdavis3 - I've been following your thread and it is quite interesting....

Do you have Sentry Mode activated while in the garage ? I have to admit, that I am one of those people that leaves my Model 3 unplugged for days, as the amount of my driving has decreased. During ownership of our 3 previous electric cars, we had to plug in everyday because the range on a full charge for those cars were less than 80 miles.....by the time we sold our 2012 Leaf, it was down to about 40 miles of total range.

Our utility company only has Time of Use plans right now. We have 2 solar arrays and got grandfathered in to a solar, TOU rate plan specifically for charging cars between the hours of Midnight to 6 AM. The rate is approximately 0.067 cents per kwh.

Hope you can figure out your charges. Good Luck !

Do you have Sentry Mode activated while in the garage ? I have to admit, that I am one of those people that leaves my Model 3 unplugged for days, as the amount of my driving has decreased. During ownership of our 3 previous electric cars, we had to plug in everyday because the range on a full charge for those cars were less than 80 miles.....by the time we sold our 2012 Leaf, it was down to about 40 miles of total range.

Our utility company only has Time of Use plans right now. We have 2 solar arrays and got grandfathered in to a solar, TOU rate plan specifically for charging cars between the hours of Midnight to 6 AM. The rate is approximately 0.067 cents per kwh.

Thanks J. No Sentry mode. I’ve never used it. I wish we had TOU rates here. There used to be an off peak rate. Your rate is outstanding.
Before I retired I sold solar for Vivint. I did a survey on my own house with a field tech and wasn’t even close regarding sun hours. I would have earned a commission on a sale to myself. Ha.

I’m gonna wait until my next bill to see if sleeping every night helps with the bill. Thanks again.

Found this online. 2019 rate. Gives me net net rate of 18.55835 cents per kWh. Does that sound right?

Take your total bill, including taxes and fees, and divide it by the number of kWh used. That will give you your loaded rate per kWh for the month.

Example: $226 / 1004 kWh = 0.225 or 22.5 cents per kWh.

Take this loaded rate and plug it into TeslaFi or Stats for a more accurate estimate of operating costs.

This will vary a little from month to month, but it’s much easier than adding up all of the transmission, distribution and generation charges, then trying to figure out taxes, fees, surcharges, etc.

Last edited:
Take you total bill, including taxes and fees, and divide it by the number of kWh used. That will give you your loaded rate per kWh for the month.

Take this loaded rate and plug it into TeslaFi or Stats for a more accurate estimate of operating costs.

This will vary a little from month to month, but it’s much easier than adding up all of the transmission, distribution and generation charges, then trying to figure out taxes, fees, surcharges, etc.
Awesome Earl . Thanks very much.

Take you total bill, including taxes and fees, and divide it by the number of kWh used. That will give you your loaded rate per kWh for the month.

Man that was easy. As I said I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I get by with a little help from my friends.

Man that was easy. As I said I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I get by with a little help from my friends.
One thing is for sure in this whole matter, whatever kWh you use in a given month, the meter is accurate. These meter systems are tried and true. Its always explainable.

I also use no apps, I have heard time and again it was not intended to be there, it should not be there. Electric cars are designed in there true sense to save energy, all these outside forces just ruin the whole intended purpose unfortunately watching every aspect of your car relates to costs of energy that reverses the actual intent of the cars main purpose, to be sipping on the energy straw as little as possible.

Reading through this thread, one thing I noticed is that the OP confused everyone with the statement "I only charged to 100% two times". Everyone read that statement as "I only charged two times, and both times were to 100%" but its obvious that the OP ment "I charged many many times, but only 2 of those times were to the maximum 100%". The amount of charge (70% 80% 100%) really didnt matter, as much as the energy used.

Anyway, That was one thing I noticed that got about a page and half or so of confusion.

The other thing someone mentioned (number of billing days) also could be a factor. I am surprised that someone mentioned that a toyota avalon gets 40MPG? Driven how? Certainly not in the same manner that the OP is likely driving the tesla?

Short trips are not as efficient (either for ICE cars or for EVs). When I read these rates people talk about as "expensive" I start to chuckle a bit.

Premium gas where I am (which we put into our ICE BMW) is around $3.85 a gallon. We get about 22 mpg on the X3 as its driven mostly around town by my wife. Electricity would be between .22c and 36c a kWh without solar for most people. TOU would get it down to .13c between 12am and 6am, but then you have a charge of something over .40c a Kwh during "prime time" usage so it does not balance out unless you use basically zero electricity during that time.

I have a solar lease and pay 16c a kWh for my leased electricity. So .16c a kWh is "cheap". I was spending about 200 a month or so in gas just driving to work and back.. my wife doesnt work and drives the X3, I was driving a 435 before the tesla. Gas just for me cost around $200 a month driving to work, and electricity just for me is costing around $100 to $110 a month.

I keep seeing people talk about gas being $2.00 a gallon and electricity being under .10a kWh and saying EVs dont reduce their costs. Does the math only work in california? It absolutely saves money in california (I am saving almost 50%)?

Reactions: VQTRVA and hcdavis3
Reading through this thread, one thing I noticed is that the OP confused everyone with the statement "I only charged to 100% two times". Everyone read that statement as "I only charged two times, and both times were to 100%" but its obvious that the OP ment "I charged many many times, but only 2 of those times were to the maximum 100%". The amount of charge (70% 80% 100%) really didnt matter, as much as the energy used.

Anyway, That was one thing I noticed that got about a page and half or so of confusion.

The other thing someone mentioned (number of billing days) also could be a factor. I am surprised that someone mentioned that a toyota avalon gets 40MPG? Driven how? Certainly not in the same manner that the OP is likely driving the tesla?

Short trips are not as efficient (either for ICE cars or for EVs). When I read these rates people talk about as "expensive" I start to chuckle a bit.

Premium gas where I am (which we put into our ICE BMW) is around $3.85 a gallon. We get about 22 mpg on the X3 as its driven mostly around town by my wife. Electricity would be between .22c and 36c a kWh without solar for most people. TOU would get it down to .13c between 12am and 6am, but then you have a charge of something over .40c a Kwh during "prime time" usage so it does not balance out unless you use basically zero electricity during that time.

I have a solar lease and pay 16c a kWh for my leased electricity. So .16c a kWh is "cheap". I was spending about 200 a month or so in gas just driving to work and back.. my wife doesnt work and drives the X3, I was driving a 435 before the tesla. Gas just for me cost around $200 a month driving to work, and electricity just for me is costing around $100 to $110 a month.

I keep seeing people talk about gas being $2.00 a gallon and electricity being under .10a kWh and saying EVs dont reduce their costs. Does the math only work in california? It absolutely saves money in california (I am saving almost 50%)?
Thanks J for clarifying my total word salad. I’m really sorry I confused everyone about the number of times I charged. I thought I was clear about that. I got some great help here deciphering my electric bill. I’m at 25 cents per kWh all in. I think because I don’t drive very much these days my gas bill for my Toyota Avalon at 22 mpg would be 100 bucks or maybe less per month. I’m paying 83 bucks for my EV portion of my bill. So I’m doing pretty good. A 40 mpg Toyota Avalon is most likely a hybrid. I even posted my Teslafi charge summary and it said 164 charges total at the time. I should have taken a screenshot of that and uploaded it. The copy and paste didn’t transfer at all well.

Reactions: Big Earl