Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I charging incorrectly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks
What might work better is to set your car for "Scheduled Charging" at say, 9pm. You can still plug your car in, keeps it happy, but it avoids all the small charges each time you plug in. I don't drive more than 6 miles a trip, maybe 20 a day - but I have a TOU plan, so I plug my car in when I get home, but it only charges once per day.
Thanks very much. You read my mind. A couple of posts up I’m doing just that starting at 3:00 a.m.. Hope to charge once a day scheduled early in the morning and having the battery in great shape for when I leave.

Thanks very much @eprosenx . So going forward, based upon how I drive, I expect no more than 31 charges per month, down from 160 or so.I have charging scheduled early in the morning around 3:00 A.M. I’ll plug it in depending on SOC, at the end of the day if I’m sure I won’t be going out. My firmware is in my signature. It’s been pretty solid and the backup cam issues seem to have been resolved. Kinda makes me afraid of an update. My 3, at the moment is not cycling on and off charging. I saw the aggressive charging thread, but so far no problems here. In the screenshot I attached (yeah finally figured that out) right now I’m at 68% and at 3:00 this morning It’ll start charging up to 75% Should help the battery for driving in the morning, no? Thanks again. Also I have a call into my electrician to put a Sense right on the
14-50 circuit. Curious if your 3 is a July build. Mine is.

FWIW, I would plug it in every day regardless of the state of charge. Tesla’s whole recommendation is to just leave it plugged in. Refraining from plugging it in between trips during the day makes sense to me to avoid cycles on the charging port, but I would not worry about the battery (I plug and unplug my laptop many times a day).

On the sense: It gets installed on the main electrical feeders, not a specific circuit.

It will try to do machine learning to recognize all the devices in your house. I will say it is somewhat challenged at this sometimes. That is not my reason for owning it. The reason I have it is the graphs of usage. You can see *exactly* what is going on power consumption wise.

FWIW, I would plug it in every day regardless of the state of charge. Tesla’s whole recommendation is to just leave it plugged in. Refraining from plugging it in between trips during the day makes sense to me to avoid cycles on the charging port, but I would not worry about the battery (I plug and unplug my laptop many times a day).

On the sense: It gets installed on the main electrical feeders, not a specific circuit.

It will try to do machine learning to recognize all the devices in your house. I will say it is somewhat challenged at this sometimes. That is not my reason for owning it. The reason I have it is the graphs of usage. You can see *exactly* what is going on power consumption wise.
Awesome. Thanks very much. The way I drive and now charging on a schedule, I’ll just plug in when I know I’m in for the night. Ends up one charge per day. Way down from 164 per month before. Sleeping like a baby and It’ll wake up at 3:00 tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 3E11EA51-994D-4403-918F-CFBF685225E5.png
    3E11EA51-994D-4403-918F-CFBF685225E5.png
    650 KB · Views: 58
Phantom drain seems to be low. In 19 hours loss of 7 miles. 1.63 kWhs.
Wow, there is a lot more on this thread over the weekend. This bit did catch my eye and shocked me when I first saw it, but I was replying to other parts and forgot to mention this. That is definitely not low and is quite a large overnight vampire drain, which made it pretty apparent that it was being prevented from going into its low power sleep mode for some reason. Normal vampire loss should be more like 2 miles or so per day.

Yeah, the scheduled charging is generally a pretty good idea to make sure it only runs once per day. I do recall that other thread where a lot of Model 3s got a weird update where they were running tons of little recharging sessions throughout the day. I do hope they got a fix out for that.

Wow, there is a lot more on this thread over the weekend. This bit did catch my eye and shocked me when I first saw it, but I was replying to other parts and forgot to mention this. That is definitely not low and is quite a large overnight vampire drain, which made it pretty apparent that it was being prevented from going into its low power sleep mode for some reason. Normal vampire loss should be more like 2 miles or so per day.

Yeah, the scheduled charging is generally a pretty good idea to make sure it only runs once per day. I do recall that other thread where a lot of Model 3s got a weird update where they were running tons of little recharging sessions throughout the day. I do hope they got a fix out for that.
Thanks Rocky. I saw that “aggressive charging “ thread too. Thankfully my car isn’t doing that. With updated Teslafi settings I’m now at 3 miles loss per day. My 3 slept yesterday for about 7.5 hours. With scheduled charging now I will have a total of 31 charges per month vs 164 last month. What firmware are you on?
I think I’m doing much better than before. As always thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rocky. I saw that “aggressive charging “ thread too. Thankfully my car isn’t doing that. With updated Teslafi settings I’m now at 3 miles loss per day.
I forget sometimes that rated miles lost to vampires also shifts by the efficiency of the different vehicles. We used to say 1-2 miles overnight for S and X, but it's really more of an amount of energy, so that equates to a little more rated miles per that amount of energy in the small Model 3, so yeah, 3 or 4 would be about equivalent.
My 3 slept yesterday for about 7.5 hours. With scheduled charging now I will have a total of 31 charges per month vs 264 last month. What firmware are you on?
Well, my firmware version isn't going to be relevant, since I have an old Model S that doesn't even have any autopilot hardware and certainly is not a 3. So I don't get a lot of the updates that other people get.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
I forget sometimes that rated miles lost to vampires also shifts by the efficiency of the different vehicles. We used to say 1-2 miles overnight for S and X, but it's really more of an amount of energy, so that equates to a little more rated miles per that amount of energy in the small Model 3, so yeah, 3 or 4 would be about equivalent.

Well, my firmware version isn't going to be relevant, since I have an old Model S that doesn't even have any autopilot hardware and certainly is not a 3. So I don't get a lot of the updates that other people get.
Oh. Sorry about that, wasn’t sure which car you have.

This happened last night. Really weird. This morning Teslafi hadn’t updated. I logged out and back in a couple of times before it updated and showed the attached. A ton of range lost in 13 hours. It’s as if Teslafi had a hiccup.

Attachments

• E80A00DA-12B9-4BAA-97D5-3362E65BCC40.png
    E80A00DA-12B9-4BAA-97D5-3362E65BCC40.png
    544 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
This happened last night. Really weird. This morning Teslafi hadn’t updated. I logged out and back in a couple of times before it updated and showed the attached. A ton of range lost in 13 hours. It’s as if Teslafi had a hiccup.

Sometimes, having access to a ton of data can cause "analysis paralysis". From your posts at least, it appears that you are concentrating very much on your teslafi data. I think having a lot of data is good, unless it causes one to obsess over it, or make decisions based on small subsets of data.

My suggestion to you would be to "put down the teslafi" and dont check it more than once a week or once every two weeks, to look for trends. I GUARANTEE you are checking it waaaay more than that... likely at least once every couple of days, and maybe even more than once a day.

Stop checking teslafi more than once per 7 day period at the MOST, and just drive your car and enjoy it. Once you get over the "new car" period, you could check a bit more, but right now its going to drive you up a wall, with every little thing making you think there is something wrong with your car, when its not.

Sometimes, having access to a ton of data can cause "analysis paralysis". From your posts at least, it appears that you are concentrating very much on your teslafi data. I think having a lot of data is good, unless it causes one to obsess over it, or make decisions based on small subsets of data.

My suggestion to you would be to "put down the teslafi" and dont check it more than once a week or once every two weeks, to look for trends. I GUARANTEE you are checking it waaaay more than that... likely at least once every couple of days, and maybe even more than once a day.

Stop checking teslafi more than once per 7 day period at the MOST, and just drive your car and enjoy it. Once you get over the "new car" period, you could check a bit more, but right now its going to drive you up a wall, with every little thing making you think there is something wrong with your car, when its not.
Like it jj “step away from the Teslafi “