Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I charging incorrectly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying not to bombard your thread, but to comment on something else. You mention this is costing you far more than your V6 Toyota Avalon ? My wife has one of those and she gets 40 miles per gallon. Do I understand from your math that you drove 1300 miles during the month that you charged your car? Out here at $4 a gallon, that would have cost my wife $130 if she were to drive that distance. In my MX it would cost me about $38 in electricity to drive that same distance. So to summarize, you would be the first person I've heard that pays more to drive an EV than an ICE car. I suppose there could be people out there, I just never heard it.

Reactions: preilly44
Why do you need to charge so frequently? Are you plugging it in more than 5 times a day (from the 167 number)?

It shouldn't hurt the car if you need to leave it unplugged for a day.
Thanks 700. I read that the car likes to be plugged in and SOC between 70 and 80%. That according to Jeff Dahn the battery guru. If I go on an errand and drive a few miles I figure I’ll plug it in and give quick shot of electrons. That probably explains so many charges in a month. I plug in no more than twice a day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Trying not to bombard your thread, but to comment on something else. You mention this is costing you far more than your V6 Toyota Avalon ? My wife has one of those and she gets 40 miles per gallon. Do I understand from your math that you drove 1300 miles during the month that you charged your car? Out here at $4 a gallon, that would have cost my wife $130 if she were to drive that distance. In my MX it would cost me about $38 in electricity to drive that same distance. So to summarize, you would be the first person I've heard that pays more to drive an EV than an ICE car. I suppose there could be people out there, I just never heard it.
So I talked to my electricity supplier and I gave her the facts. NOTHING has changed in our usage with the exception of my car. Plugging into Teslafi my correct per kWh hour cost is 43 bucks to charge my car during the period. So there’s about 60 bucks unaccounted for in this bill.
These is no way you used 1004kWh to charge twice a car with a 75kWh battery. It just like saying you used 200 gallons of gas for filling the Toyota twice. How did you get the 1004 kWh number?[/QUOthe
It’s right on my electric bill 587 kWhs February and March and 1004 in April. I apologize to everyone for the confusion I have created.
Bottom line is Teslafi I s showing the correct number of kWhs I used and how much it should cost by plugging in my net net cost per kWh.
The Electricity provider couldn’t tell me why the bill so high and the kWh was double that of the prior month. She went round and round talking wall warts and phantom drain from them even when the electronics are powered off. Blah blah. She couldn’t wait to get me off the phone. I’ll wait until next month’s meter read and go from there. Thanks very much to all for your thoughts on this.

I received my first electric bill with a complete month of charging my Model 3. My bill went from 149.00 to 251.00. [...]
Nothing other than charging has changed in our monthly electricity usage.

Nope, highly unlikely. If you have a monthly electric bill then it changes every month, depending on weather, how often you cook or use water, etc.

Also $7 charge is just another utility monthly fee, sometimes just called an access fee. Decoding the monthly fees often takes multiple months to figure out. And yes, they do it on purpose so you won’t try.

You likely have a kWh charge, and $0.12-$0.20 kWh are common. You might also have a grid charge for the transmission lines. That too is related to kWh.

To see how your monthly electric bill changes you need to measure actual circuit ( device) usage which usually starts at a $300-$500 box in your breaker panel or you can use averages. Compare last February year to this February this year. Was it colder or warmer? That can change your kWh.

It easiest to see how much your Tesla costs per mile by recharging at a Tesla supercharger. This year Tesla Superchargers are charging kWh at the std state utility rate, the same rate you use at home, provided the supercharger you use is in your state. Charge to 100% at home, then drive awhile, go to a supercharger and recharge to the original charge value. You could start at 80% at home, drive awhile, then recharge to 80%. Measure the miles driven and ($supercharger cost/miles driven. ) the supercharger cost shows up on your Model 3 display. And your credit card bill....

There are a lot of numbers being thrown around here without being labeled well, so it's really hard to figure out what they are referring to.
Home 322.87 kWh 339.28 kWh 95.16 % 2 Days 4 Hours 32 Minutes 19 Minutes $ 0.00 $ 42.43
What does that word salad mean? What is 322 kWh and what is 339 kWh? What are those two amounts of energy supposed to represent? Is that TeslaFi trying to split what energy it thinks the car used versus the rest of your house? If so, which is which?

Sadly no I used 1004 kWh so the bill is correct.
What? So then what were the 322 and 339? Where does 1004 kWh come from?

The car had 60 miles on the ODO when I took delivery, and now has 1376 miles.
So this can be used to do a sanity check to see if the numbers are at all in the realm of realistic. That is 1,316 miles driven. Taking a general average of around 285 wh per mile would be 3.5 miles per kWh of electricity just for simple math. So the 1,316 miles would be 376 kWh. If you're seeing three hundred and some, that would be about right. I still don't follow what the 322 and 339 numbers are and why TeslaFi says something about you charging at two locations.

Upon a closer look Eversource is charging me much more than I calculated. 13.588 cents per KWH.
At this point, I should throw in the charging efficiency. Between charging the battery and then using it to drive, you get about 90% of the amount you drew from the wall, which is what your electric bill would show. So that would be about 418 kWh to use 376 kWh for driving. 418 kWh at that 13 cents rate would be about $57. So if you're a bit more efficient than 285 wh per mile, then it should be closer to 50 bucks.

These is no way you used 1004kWh to charge twice a car with a 75kWh battery. It just like saying you used 200 gallons of gas for filling the Toyota twice. How did you get the 1004 kWh number?
It’s right on my electric bill 587 kWhs February and March and 1004 in April. I apologize to everyone for the confusion I have created.
Bottom line is Teslafi I s showing the correct number of kWhs I used and how much it should cost by plugging in my net net cost per kWh.
The Electricity provider couldn’t tell me why the bill so high and the kWh was double that of the prior month. She went round and round talking wall warts and phantom drain from them even when the electronics are powered off. Blah blah. She couldn’t wait to get me off the phone. I’ll wait until next month’s meter read and go from there. Thanks very much to all for your thoughts on this.

There are a lot of numbers being thrown around here without being labeled well, so it's really hard to figure out what they are referring to.

What does that word salad mean? What is 322 kWh and what is 339 kWh? What are those two amounts of energy supposed to represent? Is that TeslaFi trying to split what energy it thinks the car used versus the rest of your house? If so, which is which?

So this can be used to do a sanity check to see if the numbers are at all in the realm of realistic. That is 1,316 miles driven. Taking a general average of around 285 wh per mile would be 3.5 miles per kWh of electricity just for simple math. So the 1,316 miles would be 376 kWh. If you're seeing three hundred and some, that would be about right. I still don't follow what the 322 and 339 numbers are and why TeslaFi says something about you charging at two locations.

At this point, I should throw in the charging efficiency. Between charging the battery and then using it to drive, you get about 90% of the amount you drew from the wall, which is what your electric bill would show. So that would be about 418 kWh to use 376 kWh for driving. 418 kWh at that 13 cents rate would be about $57. So if you're a bit more efficient than 285 wh per mile, then it should be closer to 50 bucks.
Thanks Rocky. Copying and pasting from Teslafi didn’t translate as well as I hoped. Sorry about that.

You might also have a grid charge for the transmission lines. That too is related to kWh.
Oh, I forgot about that. My utility here in Idaho doesn't have that, so I forget that some places do. In many places it's 50/50 with the cost of the energy and the cost of the transmission fees. I came up with about $50 for the energy, but if it's that much for the transmission fess too, that really could be $100.

587 (from bill) + 349 (from TeslaFi) = 936 vs 1004 (from bill) = 7% unaccounted for. Seems not unusual...

Are you sure March was not an estimated bill?

Reactions: bedoig
Oh, I forgot about that. My utility here in Idaho doesn't have that, so I forget that some places do. In many places it's 50/50 with the cost of the energy and the cost of the transmission fees. I came up with about $50 for the energy, but if it's that much for the transmission fess too, that really could be $100.
587 (from bill) + 349 (from TeslaFi) = 936 vs 1004 (from bill) = 7% unaccounted for. Seems not unusual...

Are you sure March was not an estimated bill?[/QUOT

Are you sure March was not an estimated bill?[/QUOTE
Thanks Mongo. March and April were both meter reads.

TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger
Let’s try this. Man I feel like butter knife in the steak knife drawer.

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Nope, highly unlikely. If you have a monthly electric bill then it changes every month, depending on weather, how often you cook or use water, etc.

Also $7 charge is just another utility monthly fee, sometimes just called an access fee. Decoding the monthly fees often takes multiple months to figure out. And yes, they do it on purpose so you won’t try.

You likely have a kWh charge, and $0.12-$0.20 kWh are common. You might also have a grid charge for the transmission lines. That too is related to kWh.

To see how your monthly electric bill changes you need to measure actual circuit ( device) usage which usually starts at a $300-$500 box in your breaker panel or you can use averages. Compare last February year to this February this year. Was it colder or warmer? That can change your kWh.

It easiest to see how much your Tesla costs per mile by recharging at a Tesla supercharger. This year Tesla Superchargers are charging kWh at the std state utility rate, the same rate you use at home, provided the supercharger you use is in your state. Charge to 100% at home, then drive awhile, go to a supercharger and recharge to the original charge value. You could start at 80% at home, drive awhile, then recharge to 80%. Measure the miles driven and ($supercharger cost/miles driven. ) the supercharger cost shows up on your Model 3 display. And your credit card bill....
Thanks very much Thp. My net cost per kWh is .13588 cents. We heat and cook with gas.
This Teslafi charge summary is somewhere in this thread too.

TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger

We can't use any of the TeslaFi links you give, because those are internal pages to your logged in account. We just get to a login page asking for a username and password.
Thanks Rocky I did not know that. Very much appreciated. Anyway with all the right values plugged in Teslafi says 43 bucks for the month. When I tried to copy and paste from Teslafi you got that stupid word salad. Sorry about that.

Man I feel like butter knife in the steak knife drawer.
Don't feel bad. At least you're not this other guy. I can't find his thread now, maybe because he was embarrassed and deleted it. He was asking why his Tesla was using up huge amounts of energy and driving up his electric bill. There were some questions and answers to try to figure out more details, and then he offhandedly mentioned what he thought was a minor detail about the garage where his car charged:
He has a collection of expensive classic guitars that he keeps in the garage, and he doesn't want them damaged by the cold, so he keeps a space heater running out there all the time to keep the garage warm. But he thought that would be some unnoticeable insignificant amount of energy because, "It's just a little heater" Umm, YES it sure would!

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Long shot, but my friend's sump pump wore a hole in the side and was running 24/7... You may have a failing appliance (fridge?). You could check your power usage from the meter with the car disconnected and see if the average load has gone up.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Don't feel bad. At least you're not this other guy. I can't find his thread now, maybe because he was embarrassed and deleted it. He was asking why his Tesla was using up huge amounts of energy and driving up his electric bill. There were some questions and answers to try to figure out more details, and then he offhandedly mentioned what he thought was a minor detail about the garage where his car charged:
He has a collection of expensive classic guitars that he keeps in the garage, and he doesn't want them damaged by the cold, so he keeps a space heater running out there all the time to keep the garage warm. But he thought that would be some unnoticeable insignificant amount of energy because, "It's just a little heater" Umm, YES it sure would!
And he probably wonders why his range goes down in the winter when he has the heat on High.
I’m moving up a drawer

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8