Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

am I making a mistake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone we've spoken to has said the RWD is amazing in the snow with winter tires. Is that an exaggeration?

Part of her desire of the AWD beyond the range anxiety.. is the AWD.

It really depends where you live. If you're in Toronto where we get 4-5 sizeable snowfalls a year and you have to drive 30km/h anyways because no one else has snow tires then I wouldn't worry about it and get RWD with snow tires. If you have to drive on hilly roads in 6 inches of snow then I'd get the AWD.

Reactions: corlaandstan
It really depends where you live. If you're in Toronto where we get 4-5 sizeable snowfalls a year and you have to drive 30km/h anyways because no one else has snow tires then I wouldn't worry about it and get RWD with snow tires. If you have to drive on hilly roads in 6 inches of snow then I'd get the AWD.

Mississauga and GTA. Do you think RWD is enough?

Its this funny reality of if the rebate didn't exist, we would stretch to make the AWD happen. Even dumber, I would stretch to make the P3D- happen since I'll get to drive the car once in a while. Its the rebate factor that's really messing with our heads.

Just curious is the NEMA 14-50 generally a dumb decision to have proceeded with if we end up with an AWD?
NEMA 14-50 is totally fine for any EV. Heck, for your driving you might get away with 120V for 8 months if the year :D

On the topic of RWD vs AWD, Tesla's (any EV really) are quite good in the snow. They are heavy and have a low centre of mass. Really helps with snow traction. Plus the tesla traction control is amazing. You should have no issue with RWD and a good set of snows. If there is concern, put the car in chill mode which will limit the acceleration.

From the last round of posts it sounds pretty clear you should go for the SR+ for your mom. Save some cash and put it towards the eventual P3- you'll want for yourself once you driver her SR+ a few times :p

AWD will likely retain more value in your area IMO and the AWD is additional peace of mind for range and traction. It is more up front, but if you're going to keep it for a while, then the extra could be worth it. Nothing sucks like taking the cheaper option only to wish you'd have bought the slightly more expensive option when you really need it. My two cents...

Just curious is the NEMA 14-50 generally a dumb decision to have proceeded with if we end up with an AWD?
NEMA 14-50 is fine for AWD. It's what I use to charge, and will get you a fully charge on an AWD overnight. It's already a lot faster than most public L2 stations.

I had a chance to get a rebate HPWC installation but I already had the NEMA 14-50 and couldn't justify it even if it would only end up costing me a $200-300 in the end. NEMA 14-50 is also more flexible in the long run.

NEMA 14-50 is fine for AWD. It's what I use to charge, and will get you a fully charge on an AWD overnight. It's already a lot faster than most public L2 stations.

I had a chance to get a rebate HPWC installation but I already had the NEMA 14-50 and couldn't justify it even if it would only end up costing me a $200-300 in the end. NEMA 14-50 is also more flexible in the long run.

Completely agree. 14-50 is plenty for AWD. I use a JuiceBox Pro 40 connected to the 14-50 to charge the AWD 3 and a LEAF.

Its this funny reality of if the rebate didn't exist, we would stretch to make the AWD happen. Even dumber, I would stretch to make the P3D- happen since I'll get to drive the car once in a while. Its the rebate factor that's really messing with our heads.

It is the reality though. The rebate does exist. Everyone has a financial restraint on a purchase like this (if I didn't have a restraint, I would buy a loaded X and a new S to replace the current ride), and I think it's fair that some people make their purchase decision based on the existence of the rebate. It's kinda what the rebate is meant to do, which is to change purchase behavior (not between the SR+ or AWD per se, but more like buy EV instead of ICE).
NEMA 14-50 is not a dumb decision at all. If you plug in overnight, it'll charge the AWD fine. It's actually really useful when you introduce a non-Tesla EV at some point. When I drove home a Bolt, I was glad I had a chargepoint home charger instead of the Tesla Wall Connector.

Reactions: corlaandstan
My mom is still in panic mode about the SR+ lol.

Does anyone have an opinion if a 40km commute (aprox 1.5h in traffic), parked for 12-13H and than another 40km commute (1.5h) is enough battery, or is it ' close ' and we should really be prioritizing the AWD?

Range anxiety is real. The real question is if there is a range problem along the route, how soon can you get charged, or close is supercharging station from you.

In GTA, supercharging station is quite convenient. I drive a LR RWD, range won't be a problem and if I need a quick 5 minutes charge, there is always one that is close to me.

That is, if you are close to a supercharger along the way, SR+ is more than sufficient, no matter how cold the winter is. Remember, this is a Tesla, you can supercharging in a hurry. No other BEV can do that, at least for now.

What made up my mind for an SR+ is that between that and LR is a whooping $15K ($10k + $5k incentives). That's a lot of money. I rather save that and put it towards the next Tesla. I wish the difference in price isn't so high, or that the LR can be included for the incentives. Also I live in Pickering and my house is just 5 mins away from the Pickering supercharger, so the choice for SR+ makes more sense to me.

Reactions: martind3
What made up my mind for an SR+ is that between that and LR is a whooping $15K ($10k + $5k incentives). That's a lot of money. I rather save that and put it towards the next Tesla. I wish the difference in price isn't so high, or that the LR can be included for the incentives. Also I live in Pickering and my house is just 5 mins away from the Pickering supercharger, so the choice for SR+ makes more sense to me.

Hopefully you aren’t relying on local Supercharging in the winter, as cold battery temperatures make it take forever.