Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I pushing my luck with this setup? NEMA 14-50 on a 100amp panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have other reasons to justify a new 200 Amp Service then go for it.

But if you do, go to all that trouble your should really take the advice given numerous times to install a Wall Connector !!!
You're going through all that trouble to limit yourself to 32A MAX on a 14-50 outlet.

The ONLY reason 14-50 adapter is supplied with the car is because its a common high amp outlet that might already exist and sometimes available at RV camps.

It makes no sense to install a new 14-50 outlet. Unless you have or plan to charge some other non Tesla EV car or have another need for a 14-50 outlet (e.g. Welder or RV).

If you install a 14-50 outlet, you should, in my opinion buy a 2nd UMC that stays with car ($300) and use a GFCI ($100).
So you save $100 by using a slower performing 14-50. If you use a $500 Wall connector you don't need to buy a 2nd UMC (keep the one you have in the car) and you don't need GFCI. GFCI is not legally required but I'd seriously consider it if you install any outlet for the UMC. Or any outlet in and around where you can have a dripping wet car.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I thought I'd turn it down to 24 or 30amp on the wall charger because I don't like leaving things plugged in when they are full. For my phone, once it hits 100%, I pull the plug out. I don't charge overnight so that I hit 100% and then have it plugged in for 4-6 additional hours.
That's going on a misconception about how Tesla cars work, compared to other brands of electric cars. A lot of other makes of the short range electric cars like a Nissan Leaf or Fiat 500e or VW eGolf or Honda Fit electric or Chevy Spark electric or whatever had such short range that they didn't really give the option of setting a lower charge limit than 100% (a couple might have that option, but I forget which ones). With the Teslas, you don't have to work yourself over with running out to the garage to pull the plug to keep it from charging up to full. You just set a limit at 80% or 90% or whatever you want, and it will always stop there.

One last question, would I have to set the car to charge at 24 or 30 if I set the wall charger to that level or will it automatically only try to draw at what is provided by the wall charger?
There is a switch inside the wall connector where you set it for what size circuit it's on. Then, it effectively "announces" to any car that is plugged in what the max allowed amps are that it can provide. The car will pull up to that amount if it's software is left on default. You do have the option to turn it down lower in the software on the screen if you want, but there's generally no need to.

Reactions: mswlogo