Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I supposed to receive an e-mail confirmation or?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going on almost 5 hours from the time I registered in Colorado and nothing but the CC pre-authorization. I'm not worried though. Also, I talked to the guy and asked him about the mytesla and he said it had nothing to do with the initial order but if the email was the same as the mytesla email that it would link up eventually. Give it time people, they are pretty hammered right now.

I tried to sign up for a my tesla account today before I went to reserve and kept getting a 503 error. Haven't gotten my email yet either but the pending charge popped up immediately. I'm truly not worried. I mean they have over a year at least to get it worked out anyway...ha

How was the line there? I was at the Devon store. I got there at about 7AM and I was ~25th in line. By 10 when they started processing reservations, this is what the line looked like.
There were probably around 75 people in line when I got there around 9am but people started lining up pretty quickly as it got closer to 10am. By the time they started taking reservations there were probably around 200 people in line and they were still lining up when I left. It ended up taking me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to the front of the line and make my reservation. The picture I took is from around 915am. King of Prussia mall, PA

I'm going on almost 5 hours from the time I registered in Colorado and nothing but the CC pre-authorization. I'm not worried though. Also, I talked to the guy and asked him about the mytesla and he said it had nothing to do with the initial order but if the email was the same as the mytesla email that it would link up eventually. Give it time people, they are pretty hammered right now.

Same here (time and location).

I tried to sign up for a my tesla account today before I went to reserve and kept getting a 503 error. Haven't gotten my email yet either but the pending charge popped up immediately. I'm truly not worried. I mean they have over a year at least to get it worked out anyway...ha

I would rate my worry level at a 2/10 (low). The only reason it's not a 1 is that I didn't get to verify the email the rep had entered for myself, so there's a non-zero chance my card was charged but the email went elsewhere. Still shouldn't be too difficult to straighten out if that's the case, as they've also got the name on the card scan, physical address info, etc. It just would have been nice for their standard procedure to include a quick confirmation of the info with the reservation-placer rather than submitting it post-haste. I understand why they were in a rush, though.

Reactions: cdub
I would rate my worry level at a 2/10 (low). The only reason it's not a 1 is that I didn't get to verify the email the rep had entered for myself, so there's a non-zero chance my card was charged but the email went elsewhere. Still shouldn't be too difficult to straighten out if that's the case, as they've also got the name on the card scan, physical address info, etc. It just would have been nice for their standard procedure to include a quick confirmation of the info with the reservation-placer rather than submitting it post-haste. I understand why they were in a rush, though.

I wish I had been able to see it, as well, there was a two-person desk and I would have had to walk around and I wasn't really given the option to do so. However he typed my address off of my driver's license so I figure at least my name (which I spelled out) and address are correct and they'll be able to find it.

I wish I had been able to see it, as well, there was a two-person desk and I would have had to walk around and I wasn't really given the option to do so. However he typed my address off of my driver's license so I figure at least my name (which I spelled out) and address are correct and they'll be able to find it.

I leaned over the desk and looked at their screen LOL. Sure enough they messed up my name, but luckily the email was entered correctly.

Ugh. 11:45ish reservation time and no email, no charge on my CC five hours later...

I'm hoping and praying that just means Tesla got quickly overwhelmed and have fallen seriously behind in getting all the information entered.

This is unique. Everyone else got their CC charge immediately. We're all worried about the email. You, on the other hand, have a CC problem that is unique to you that if I were you I'd follow up on. I suppose if they entered your CC wrong that you can ask to keep your place in line when you straighten it out.

I leaned over the desk and looked at their screen LOL. Sure enough they messed up my name, but luckily the email was entered correctly.
LOL, I guess Texas laws actually help me out here. They were just handing people iPads and we had to enter everything in ourselves and even enter our CC numbers manually. So any mistake is my own.

• Funny
Reactions: cdub
This is unique. Everyone else got their CC charge immediately. We're all worried about the email. You, on the other hand, have a CC problem that is unique to you that if I were you I'd follow up on. I suppose if they entered your CC wrong that you can ask to keep your place in line when you straighten it out.
Looks like a couple other people in this thread in my region are having the same problem.

I just called and explained my situation and that other people were telling me that their CCs have been charged, but mine had been not, then asked the dreadful question... "Should I be worried?"

His response without hesitation was "Yes."

Goddammit.

He then put me on hold, came back, and basically said it's been nuts around there and to give it 24 hours. If I do not have my CC charged and a confirmation email by then, I should call again to fix the situation.

I asked if my spot in line would be affected and he said no, thankfully.

This is just my luck, too. This sort of *sugar* always happens to me without fail. Fortunately, things usually work out in the end, so I'm not too worried, but you can bet your ass that I'll be losing a little bit of sleep (in addition to the sleep lost from staying up all night to watch the reveal).

continues biting fingernails

As an employee of AWS, I'm amazed that such a high profile "tech" company has no idea how to properly handle traffic bursts. :/

As I think this through, they have their in-house database management system which includes their customer servers, and every reservation has to be processed through that. Perhaps they decided back when they were designing it that it would be a better allocation of resources to queue batches of customer server processing over a 24 hour period, rather than build the system out or do the reprogramming necessary to do real-time processing fully of each and every of one zillion reservations. In one way, this could work out well: by the time the customer database has been updated, there's no more processing needed, and there won't be as much of a chance to mess anything up. Huge companies not messing up paperwork is a key success indicator.

But it does seem they underestimated load.

It would be funny if it were something out of their control, like some spam filters deciding that there is no such thing as a "Tesla" that has to send out one million "You have reserved a Model 3!!!!" emails all on the same day (presuming it to be some Nigerian scam or spam email), and then blacklisting the entire Tesla mail server.

Last edited:
Looks like a couple other people in this thread in my region are having the same problem.

I just called and explained my situation and that other people were telling me that their CCs have been charged, but mine had been not, then asked the dreadful question... "Should I be worried?"

His response without hesitation was "Yes."

Goddammit.

He then put me on hold, came back, and basically said it's been nuts around there and to give it 24 hours. If I do not have my CC charged and a confirmation email by then, I should call again to fix the situation.

I asked if my spot in line would be affected and he said no, thankfully.

This is just my luck, too. This sort of *sugar* always happens to me without fail. Fortunately, things usually work out in the end, so I'm not too worried, but you can bet your ass that I'll be losing a little bit of sleep (in addition to the sleep lost from staying up all night to watch the reveal).

continues biting fingernails
Not all banks/credit cards post transactions immediately. Do you usually see your charges instantly once you swipe your card? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not all banks/credit cards post transactions immediately. Do you usually see your charges instantly once you swipe your card? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm thinking exactly that. I don't typically log into my bank account immediately after a transaction, so I'm not sure how quickly the charge is processed.

My mother uses the same bank and she says usually the transactions show up right away, but if it's done late in the day, it may not appear until the next day. This was around noon, so not exactly late...

I really wasn't going to worry about it until I stumbled upon this thread with all these people whining about not getting an email, and here I am without my CC charged, nevermind the stupid email. So naturally I freaked out a bit. Gonna give it some time to work itself out and hope for the best.

Reactions: EV-Bull