Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who couldn't care less if my Model 3 headliner is cloth instead of fake suede?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, the way Tesla handled this material change was unethical at best, and criminal at worst. Sure they never stated that any particular material was included, but nor did Tesla tell any of the thousands of people and the Press who they demo'd the "production car" that it was not going to be provided as shown.

Crappy way to do business even if you do have half a million people's reservations. Not how Tesla should reward us who loyally supported them for over 20 months.

What next, will Tesla slow the acceleration down and reduce the battery size, to just meet the published and EPA range numbers?

For me, the way Tesla handled this material change was unethical at best, and criminal at worst. Sure they never stated that any particular material was included, but nor did Tesla tell any of the thousands of people and the Press who they demo'd the "production car" that it was not going to be provided as shown.

Crappy way to do business even if you do have half a million people's reservations. Not how Tesla should reward us who loyally supported them for over 20 months.

What next, will Tesla slow the acceleration down and reduce the battery size, to just meet the published and EPA range numbers?
You sound really upset over this. Have you configured your car yet? If not, what are you planning to do?

(As far as acceleration goes, if you've read the reviews you've probably seen that the car is beating their published times.)

Another reference to "could care less..." :)

And no, I couldn't care less about the headliners. However, the fact that the closest service center is still 200 miles away, the lack of a heated steering wheel even as an option, and ... are all things that are giving me pause.

I have alcantara dashboard, alcantara headliner and leather seats in my S. All black. I recently had a loaner S with the latest interior and textile seats, textile headliner. And guess what - I would have swapped for that interior any day. The textile seats are just soooo much more comfortable that I got angry when I went back to my car with my much harder leather seats that get's hot in the summer and cold in winter and also are much mor prone to wear. Same with the Alcantara on the dashboard, it just does never look clean with the nature of the texture so lucky all of you who got the car after they discontinued Alcantara on the dashboard. The textile black headliner in the S I tested was also a bit more black than the greyer Suede.

Regarding the Model 3 headliner, what I for sure don't like is that it can't be order in black. Also agree that the textile lighter material looks a bit less luxurious, but with black I prefer the textile.

If you post on TMC you've probably had a pretty decent life...so who freaking cares if your state of the art electric car has a fake suede(oh...I mean Alcantara...from the rare and mythical creature of the same name) or cloth for a headliner? To appease the masses, an easy Tesla fix could simply rebrand the new headliner material. How about "Corinthian Cloth"?

"Tesla uses the finest, rich Corinthian Cloth on the Model 3 headliner. Handspun by virgins from the Corinthian Islands, this material is not only durable but will give your Tesla that certain "je ne sais quoi". (vs. that 68% polyester/32% polyurethane fake suede stuff")
Should everyone feel the same way you do?

Do you respect the opinions of those who care about things you don't?

However to answer your original question . No, you are not the only one who feels the way that you do. However neither is there a "single" person that feels the opposite as is noted by the 28 pages of this thread.....Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

Reactions: kablammyman
After yesterday’s headlines, I’d like to see these:

Tesla Downgrades Model 3 Interior From Alcantara To Textile, no reservations cancelled.

Tesla accused of 'bait and switch' on Model 3 upholstery by a few people in a Reddit thread. Others could care less.

Model 3 owners baited into buying high tech battery powered car by synthetic polyester headliner material.

After yesterday’s headlines, I’d like to see these:

Tesla Downgrades Model 3 Interior From Alcantara To Textile, no reservations cancelled.

Tesla accused of 'bait and switch' on Model 3 upholstery by a few people in a Reddit thread. Others could care less.

Model 3 owners baited into buying high tech battery powered car by synthetic polyester headliner material.
You would like to see those? What does that mean? Maybe you can find what you are looking for by talking to these few people Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

Yes, best to consult the vocal minority, most of whom will still buy and end up loving the car anyway.
Who is a vocal minority? Tesla should listen to even one.....such as the single guy with terminal cancer that TESLA acquiesced to .

They should indeed listen to a vocal minority. Indeed they should. They should also listen to a majority or whoever.

Answer: Yes....they should listen.

Tesla updates Model 3 interior with new headliner material

Tesla updates Model 3 with same premium textile material as Model S, X

According to the thread title, this is for people who do care :D

PSA - “couldn’t care less”

Language is not literal or logical. If you expect it to be you will go through life disappointed.

And FWIW in my earlier post where I said I don't care what the headliner is made of, I neglected to add that I don't care what the dashboard is covered with either. Just the seats. Cloth is much more comfortable. The same goes for sofas and easy chairs.

And I'd much prefer NOT to have a glass roof, but this preference is not enough to make me delay placing my order, when my invitation finally comes.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
Language is not literal or logical. If you expect it to be you will go through life disappointed.

And FWIW in my earlier post where I said I don't care what the headliner is made of, I neglected to add that I don't care what the dashboard is covered with either. Just the seats. Cloth is much more comfortable. The same goes for sofas and easy chairs.

And I'd much prefer NOT to have a glass roof, but this preference is not enough to make me delay placing my order, when my invitation finally comes.
This is not about preferences. Its about something that changed.

If Tesla Model 3 premium versions started shipping tomorrow with an all metal roof......that's a change....that should be addressed and discussed.

For those still flummoxed by the language or meaning, a handy chart you can share or print for the office.
Care Chart.jpg

I pick up my Model 3 today. I have never been inside one, much less driven one. Saw one through a chain-link fence ten feet away. Whatever happens to be over my head when I buy it will be fine with me.
Indeed there are people who don't care at all.

Then there are people who do.

Is either one right or wrong?

I suppose those questions are for everyone.

Last edited: