Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one who couldn't care less if my Model 3 headliner is cloth instead of fake suede?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this vid awhile ago when everyone was going crazy with this Alcantara stuff. I couldn't say it better than this guy:

I didn’t watch the video but have seen other videos by him, he’s hilarious. Although he doesn’t care much about the interior of his cars. He has a bulldog or boxer, can’t remember which that he laughs at for continually drooling on his seats. :(:)

Who are all these people who know what their headliner is made of? I don’t even know what my vehicle headliners look like until all the glue lets go/the material stretches 15 years down the road and it’s touching the top of my head and I keep trying to swat it away because I think it’s a fly, or like the last time I discovered it when it dropped in front of my face while driving. I guess I simply don’t sleep in the back seats often enough or you know, do that other thing back there - family forum.

Don't they have to chop down rainforests so baby seals can produce Alcantara out of dioxin?

Gimme Union Picked Cotton any day!!! :-D

There certainly are quirks of this site that do not appear on other sites. A headliner is to keep the car insulated from temp and noise. I could not even tell you what kind of headliners our vehicles have except the motorcycles.

Alcantera i would PREFER for the seat centers. Its way more grippy and feels very nice and wears extremely well. and Yes its a premium material that cost about $1000 to put into a cars headliner if you want it aftermarket.

Its funny how all the media outlets got to ride in the alcantera lined cars and the LOVED IT! They would have never noticed fabric on a ceiling because its boring and has not nice touch or look. Now its just like any other low end audi or BMW.

I would agree that if you dont clean it like on steering wheels and shifters it will look worn because of the oils in your hands and from just not washing your hands when you drive. For a headliner or seats its Premium regardless of its costs. I love the guys response above that said that who care if it costs 1/10th the cost of killing a cow for "premium leather". It should!!!! Somebody in the 90s found a way to make a premium look and feel fabric from plastic instead of killing cows. its about creating products that are better than old traditional fabrics that were only around during the cowboy days. Do you remember the days when if you had a leather jacket you were thought of as cool or shall is say premo! They were expensive too.

Gimme my alcantera headliner or give me $1500 off my PUP package. My baseline Audi A3 has the same headliner as they are now saying is a "preminum cloth" headliner.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
Oh great ANOTHER alcantara thread!

If you post on this site, you probably come here willingly. Nobody forces you to read the alcantara thread. And nobody forces you to care about it. If you don't like alcantara, good for you.

But complaining that others complain? What's next? A thread with people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about not having alcantara?

Wait, that's what I'm doing right now! Look what you made me do @Hotlobstah, look what you made me do!
I would have agreed, until news sites started picking it up. This thread is necessary, even if just to counter the 'tens of thousands being stabbed in the eye' and 'I'll never ever EVER trust Tesla again!!!!' proclamations.

(You realize you were complaining about people complaining about people complaining ... :) )

Alcantera i would PREFER for the seat centers. Its way more grippy and feels very nice and wears extremely well. and Yes its a premium material that cost about $1000 to put into a cars headliner if you want it aftermarket.

Its funny how all the media outlets got to ride in the alcantera lined cars and the LOVED IT! They would have never noticed fabric on a ceiling because its boring and has not nice touch or look. Now its just like any other low end audi or BMW.

I would agree that if you dont clean it like on steering wheels and shifters it will look worn because of the oils in your hands and from just not washing your hands when you drive. For a headliner or seats its Premium regardless of its costs. I love the guys response above that said that who care if it costs 1/10th the cost of killing a cow for "premium leather". It should!!!! Somebody in the 90s found a way to make a premium look and feel fabric from plastic instead of killing cows. its about creating products that are better than old traditional fabrics that were only around during the cowboy days. Do you remember the days when if you had a leather jacket you were thought of as cool or shall is say premo! They were expensive too.

Gimme my alcantera headliner or give me $1500 off my PUP package. My baseline Audi A3 has the same headliner as they are now saying is a "preminum cloth" headliner.
There's a thread for you. This one is the people who DON'T care. I think you got lost. :)

I would have agreed, until news sites started picking it up. This thread is necessary, even if just to counter the 'tens of thousands being stabbed in the eye' and 'I'll never ever EVER trust Tesla again!!!!' proclamations.

(You realize you were complaining about people complaining about people complaining ... :) )

Isn’t it good that people know now? If it isn’t so bad, why not tell people?

My 2014 S doesn't have Alcantara on the dash (but does for the minimal amount of headliner). My 2016 X does have Alcantara on the dash. It's really the defining difference between the two cars. Falcon wing doors, panoramic windshield, towing capacity? Pssh. A little interior finish material is what reminds me which of the two cars I'm in.

:rolleyes: