Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who thinks the Y is kinda fugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That "ugly shark fin" probably gives the Macan good radio reception, something no Tesla has.

I am not a fan of those fins on roofs of the cars. That and rear visors on crossovers. Both appendages seem after thoughts to solve some problem and take away from the overall aesthetic of the car's shape. Function is important but the look shouldn't have to be compromised to get it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Y is going to be a hit despite all the negativity on here. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300+ mile range is by far unbeatable for a Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the market is custom tailored to the Y.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

A WHITE w/WHITE interior Y Performance with black anodized trim & full tinted unobstructed Sky Roof = Very Nice!!!

page-7

View attachment 387447

The car looks lowered in that picture. Photoshop?

Range hit prob 20-30 miles on those 22s...

You're right but that's not what worry's me, to achieve that look and squeeze them on, they will have a larger overall diameter & roll radius as there are no tires yet made with a usable sidewall. (aspect ratio) So since the roll radius will throw off the speedo, the system will need a firmware upgrade to recalibrate and the tires may rub if the offset is bumped out! Tuners and customizers are going to have a field day with this car, especially in SoCa!

I think the design is a bit bland and poor too, calling it an SUV seems like a lie as it's so pebble shaped and the trunk looks like it's going to be massively eaten into by the sloped roof.

Most typical SUVs have a roofline that goes further back to near to or the very back of the car (like a wagon) and these I personally prefer due to the box shape.

Design is very subjective though, but I hope that Tesla create cars like typical SUV / Wagon shape for that extra boxy practicality.

Personally why I have an ICE car.

I think it'd be a struggle to make an EV currently, with the shape of say a Subaru Forester, due to aerodynamics being so important. You'd lose way too much range.

Note: although if you have actually ever driven a Subaru Forester you'll know that range really isn't that important to the owners. Coming back from London it needed refilling at about Derby in order to carry on. So thirsty.

Reactions: dgpcolorado