Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who thinks the Y is kinda fugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“The only major difference between the final design and the concept car? The road-going version will have a real set of door handles.” That’s from Audi. All of the crazy lights and what not will make it to production.

We'll see, but I doubt it. They're probably just implying the sheetmetal wont change. The larger eTron is extremely toned down and bland compared to initial concepts and I can't imagine they've had a change of heart for this cheaper model. Why would they make it significantly more attractive and modern than the flagship? They wont. All of that fancy lower bodywork will be generic like the larger eTron, and if those headlights are indeed production (doubt it) they wont pass US regulations anyway. I can tell just looking at them.

Proportionally, I believe this concept is production ready...but once you remove the modern details and exaggerated bumpers and lights...its a very generic design that looks like every other Audi suv...just like the larger eTron does. Its attractive but generic. The Model Y is weird but much cooler (imo).

Reactions: Lifeinabox
We'll see, but I doubt it. They're probably just implying the sheetmetal wont change. The larger eTron is extremely toned down and bland compared to initial concepts and I can't imagine they've had a change of heart for this cheaper model. Why would they make it significantly more attractive and modern than the flagship? They wont. All of that fancy lower bodywork will be generic like the larger eTron, and if those headlights are indeed production (doubt it) they wont pass US regulations anyway. I can tell just looking at them.

Proportionally, I believe this concept is production ready...but once you remove the modern details and exaggerated bumpers and lights...its a very generic design that looks like every other Audi suv...just like the larger eTron does. Its attractive but generic. The Model Y is weird but much cooler (imo).

Here is the article where they discuss they don’t want to differ from the concept. Production Audi Q4 E-Tron will look just like the concept - Roadshow

I don't think it's that bad, but it looks goofy from some angles. The proportions are off IMO.

MDnWyeU.jpg
Tesla vehicle will always look a bit odd coz the shape are designed for the least aerodynamic drag possible. Other gasoline SUV don't need to worry so much about aero and can design whatever they want.

Do you understand the concept of aesthetics & subjectivity? Because someone might like a particular design does not automatically make them a ‘fanboy’. Similarly, if someone dislikes a design it doesn’t necessarily make them a ‘hater’ of the company either. Good grief.

Your approach is ‘my way or the highway’.

Agreed 100%. Opinions are like aholes - everyone has one.

People can spend their money however they wish. I would happily buy a Y because in my opinion it is a great value for what it is.

Only reason I wouldn't is if I wanted a Tesla sooner than 2 years from now.

TSLA Stock dropped by over $15 today, so yeah there is probably not much love for the MY.

Means ---NOTHING---

Sell the news.

If you listen to the talking heads on financial programs their concern is killing Model 3 sales because people will wait for the more useful Y.

The Y is an upgrade over the 3, I admit this. But not without price.

At least $3,750 more expensive and what if I want a car before 2 years? 3 is great, Y is great.

From a spec perspective the E-tron died last night. I can understand some people may prefer Audi as a brand and will feel at home in the luxurious interior, but $75K starting and 250 mi of range vs. $39K or $47K for 230/300 mi? Yikes.

The E-Tron comes with a lot of things the Model Y doesn't.

Better UI/UX
HUD
Active suspension
Heated Steering wheel
Heated and cooled Seats
It will also have a $7500 tax credit assuming the current administration doesn't kill it.

As to range it really depends on real world range. I have a P3D+, and I know there is no way I'm going to get anywhere close to 300 miles.

Typically on a road trip it's usually 200 miles max before I hit that 50 miles range left where I like to charge.

I certainly agree that it's priced higher than the Y even taking into account the tax credit. So I'd definitely put it between the Y, and the X.

Where either X buyers will cross shop or Y buyers will cross shop it.

The biggest problem with the E-Tron is the Electrify America network isn't anywhere close to the size, and number of stalls that the Supercharger network has.

Reactions: mos6507 and Jbidwal

Better UI/UX
HUD
Active suspension
Heated Steering wheel
Heated and cooled Seats
It will also have a $7500 tax credit assuming the current administration doesn't kill it.

As to range it really depends on real world range. I have a P3D+, and I know there is no way I'm going to get anywhere close to 300 miles.

Typically on a road trip it's usually 200 miles max before I hit that 50 miles range left where I like to charge.

I certainly agree that it's priced higher than the Y even taking into account the tax credit. So I'd definitely put it between the Y, and the X.

The biggest problem with the E-Tron is the Electrify America network isn't anywhere close to the size, and number of stalls that the Supercharger network has.

The charger network is definitely what they all need to fix. I see this somewhat as Apple vs Android from a decade ago. The Tesla is the iPhone in this case where as everyone else is android. Room for them to grow but not there yet.

Audi’s are a joy to drive though. We loved our Q5. The four figure maintenance however that it now requires, not so much.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Ok, so if it’s the charger network that’s really holding the competition back why the heck don’t they all try to use Tesla’s? Elon has been quite open to that.

Tesla says they are, but then nothing happens.

Like I don't really want an E-tron.

I'd prefer a Bollinger Motor two door SUV because it's a real SUV.

It's also so boxy, and so untrying in the looks department that it actually looks good.

Bollinger Motors | Bollinger Motors

What would make the Bollinger Motors SUV really great is access to the Supercharging network, and Bollinger asked. But, to my knowledge they never got a response back.

The only way to make an SUV or a station wagon look good is to stretch it out aka make the whole vehicle longer and wider, so the proportions are correct. That covers up the higher body height. OR you can lower the whole passenger area. Difficult to do in an SUV. Late model Chrysler wagons look pretty good because they're long and low. All those awesome looking Italian sports car look good because they are LOW and wide. That gives them the super sleek aerodynamic look like fighter plane. There's no other way to get that.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
The only way to make an SUV or a station wagon look good is to stretch it out aka make the whole vehicle longer and wider, so the proportions are correct. That covers up the higher body height. OR you can lower the whole passenger area. Difficult to do in an SUV. Late model Chrysler wagons look pretty good because they're long and low. All those awesome looking Italian sports car look good because they are LOW and wide. That gives them the super sleek aerodynamic look like fighter plane. There's no other way to get that.
And look where that got Chrysler...

I get what you’re saying but people like short and squat so give them what they want. I’m not a Y customer but am a big fan so far as it leads to profitibility and future Tesla cars/trucks (Pickup!) that I will buy.

Better UI/UX
HUD
Active suspension
Heated Steering wheel
Heated and cooled Seats

The non-performance models for all Tesla has much closer real world range vs EPA range. Simply coz of the tire.

Reactions: gavine
Model Y looks very similar to Model 3 as most ppl said.
Interested in interior space comparison and I'm sure we'll have more detailed reviews of the car during day light in coming weeks as Tesla shows it off . Design and look; its looks descent enough to put deposit down. I just wished it was a bit bigger.

Better UI/UX
HUD
Active suspension
Heated Steering wheel
Heated and cooled Seats

For *sugar* and giggles I configured one. 80K MSRP and a couple hundred people are probably foolish enough to pay that or above because they liked their Q5.

All for something the Y can hit 0-60 almost twice over and Tesla’s charging networks.

Fools can part with their money any way they wish.