Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I wrong? Tech package now $7,500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the main problem here is that Tesla packages almost everything and make it unavailable as a single option. Most car companies make packages of several options, so instead of choosing the most common features they bundle it up and make it a package with some discount. But you can still choose to have one of those options without getting the entire package. There is no technical reason to not allow the customer to choose all the options seperately or as a package, so Tesla really should reconsider if this is the best way. Sure the customers that must have the electrical trunk will pay the extra 5000 USD just to get it, but the person who thinks it's a nice to have will not pay 5000 USD extra, and instead they lose a sale for electrical trunk. However none of these customers will be fully satisfied, one had to pay for a lot of stuff they didn't want, and one didn't get what they wanted, even though they were willing to pay a reasonable amount to get it.

I think this has more to do with the actual pricing of the option packages than necessarily unbundling option packages.

No one is complaining about cost of any of the other option packages but the consensus seems to be almost unanimous in that at $5,000 the "Alcantara Package" is exorbitantly priced and a terrible value. It seems based on numerous posts on the subject though people can afford to buy a Tesla that does not mean they are looking to throw away money at frivolous options and most of what the "Alcantara Package" offers is as frivolous as Alcantara itself. The one feature that most absolutely want is the electric liftgate closer.

I realize the benefit to Tesla in putting together an option package for the sake of simplified production so I think the issue is that the "Alcantara Package" is overpriced and most would gladly pay in the neighborhood of $2,000-$2,500 for this option package to get the liftgate closer and the other refinements. At $5,000 it is going to be as popular as Alcantara and that is to say most will not find much value in it.

MsElectric is channeling me. I am actually looking to go from gray leather + obece matte + premium w/ black headliner to black leather + piano black + standard headliner. I can order the headliner separate, but black is $1,500 and white is $750. At that point, I might as well cut out changing the headliner and so what about a little bit of trim and save $5,750 rather than $3,500 (if I simply skipped premium but got the black headliner). People loved their cars when a white/off-white headliner was the only option, so I could as well.

Rear facing seats, from $2,500 to $3,000 = 20% increase.

Not to fan the flames too much, but when I ordered back in 2012, they were $1500...

Yes, you are wrong.
As you said, the tech package no longer exists.
A number of the items in there are now standard, essentially lowering your price, not raising it.
You don't need the premium package to get the autopilot stuff, so I am not sure where you are getting the $7500 from.

Respectfully disagree, the liftgate does screw things up.

If you care about the liftgate (like me) it's because you use the S as a utility vehicle, hauling groceries, kids stuff, etc., and a liftgate is very practical and valuable. Also if you have rear facing seats (like me), it's important to have a button in the trunk where your kid passenger can open/close the trunk in case of emergency.
If care about these things (like me), conversely I would argue that it's unlikely you care even a little bit about some leather in the ceiling (not me - and no disrespect meant to those who do). In that sense the $5000 "premium package" becomes either an overpriced liftgate or an overpriced leather package. It's like a package of a hamburger and pillow together... Asinine.

They should have kept the tech package better together, including liftgate, as a "practicality package", and a "premium package" for the extra bling and leather, to please that market. It's a screw-up, but T has been pretty good about correcting screw-ups, so hopefully this won't last long.