Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon announces new Sentry Mode and Ring integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't use Ring and don't mind installing the app to use this for the car.

However, it's $200 for the devise which could be done with existing tech in the car.

It's also unclear if you have to add the extra $$$ cell module and extra $$$ cell plan to use away from WiFi or if it uses the Tesla cell modem and Tesla $10/mth cell plan.

Reactions: TomT and RNHurt
20200921_image_blog_car_connect_desktop@2x_fcc_rgb.jpg
20200921_image_lockup_ringcaralarm_iphone_fcc_rgb.jpg

Last edited:
Or it's possible with the API agreement with Tesla it would allow access to the microphone and mirror camera. Have to wait till 2021 to see what actually shows up and what all the costs add up to.

Again no reason Tesla couldn't due this themselves with NO extra hardware or additional app and maybe just offer for say extra $3/mth.

Reactions: DS8819 and 0ptions
If this happens before Tesla integrates the app with Sentry Mode videos, I'm in. Maybe there will be a way to "Live View" from the cameras, similar to Ring devices. Bravo for Amazon & Tesla to play nice in the sandbox.

I actually like using amazon, but dont like or trust ring. I didnt like the fact it was trying to force me to sign up for whatever that neighbors App / Feature. even if you turned it off, the app was basically prompting you to use that feature with notifications etc. I absolutely was not interested in a "social network" for my doorbell. That was the only ring product I own, and after I found out how that stupid feature worked I uninstalled it and its sitting in a closet.

I swore I wouldnt touch ring stuff again, and this feature certainly wont make me change my mind.

• Love
Reactions: Biggus
Personally I prefer using my dual channel HD Blackvue's with Wifi/LTE remote access. Much better video quality and includes audio. I love connecting and watching when my car is in the shop getting work done, etc. Receive push notifications if something is amiss as well. Only consumes 5 watts as well vs the 300 watts for Sentry and allows the car to go to sleep.

Personally I prefer using my dual channel HD Blackvue's with Wifi/LTE remote access. Much better video quality and includes audio. I love connecting and watching when my car is in the shop getting work done, etc. Receive push notifications if something is amiss as well. Only consumes 5 watts as well vs the 300 watts for Sentry and allows the car to go to sleep.

I just looked this up and, correct me if I am wrong, it looks like you have far less cameras and what you would/wouldn't see?

I just looked this up and, correct me if I am wrong, it looks like you have far less cameras and what you would/wouldn't see?

I installed only the front and rear, but I know people in the Swiss Tesla Owners Club that have bought 2 sets of the dual channels and installed both front, rear and both sides. The idea is to use the main cameras for front and rear and the "rear" camera of each set on the sides.

I don't think "Ring Car Connect for Tesla" will turn out to be anything more than a USB storage with added wifi/LTE - no more access than Roadie, Jeda or a homebrew raspberrypie.

Their own announcement doesn't mention any partnership with Tesla A New Ring of Security: Introducing Ring Security for Cars | The Ring Blog and only mentions being able to view sentrymode etc footage that you'd find on a USB already - no mention of alarms, alerts, locked/unlocked info

Last edited:
Reactions: pow216 and dmurphy