Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon announces new Sentry Mode and Ring integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this will turn out to be anything more than a USB storage with added wifi/LTE - no more access than Roadie, Jeda or a homebrew raspberrypie. Their own announcement doesn't mention any partnership with Tesla A New Ring of Security: Introducing Ring Security for Cars | The Ring Blog and only mentions being able to view sentrymode etc footage that you'd find on a USB already - no mention of alarms, alerts, locked/unlocked info

At least one of the announcements said it was a partnership and would allow remote access to all 9 cameras in the Model 3/Y. You can't currently get access to 5 of the cameras with those other solutions.

Good idea in principle but now everyone, including thieves, know of its existence, what is stopping them simply unplugging it when they have broken into the car and throwing it away?

Same goes for the ssd that records sentry mode video, thieves who know can simply unplug, bagging an ssd to sell in the bargain, negating it's usefulness.

I guess that the ring may be of some use if it records to the cloud, as the tesla sentry mode doesn't.

The more these features are publicised the more thieves know and work around them, same as security cameras, useless as criminals simply wear masks and huddies which are now legitimised by the current covid situation attracting no suspicion.

Good idea in principle but now everyone, including thieves, know of its existence, what is stopping them simply unplugging it when they have broken into the car and throwing it away?

Same goes for the ssd that records sentry mode video, thieves who know can simply unplug, bagging an ssd to sell in the bargain, negating it's usefulness.

I guess that the ring may be of some use if it records to the cloud, as the tesla sentry mode doesn't.

The more these features are publicised the more thieves know and work around them, same as security cameras, useless as criminals simply wear masks and huddies which are now legitimised by the current covid situation attracting no suspicion.

This has been my issue of the numerous youtube videos highlighting how amazing the hubs with "hidden" compartments are.

Looked into the idea of a RPi and a wifi dongle so it constantly backed up to the cloud. The more sensible option would be a USB in the glove compartment. Considered drilling a hole and passing a usb cable from the dashboard to the glove compartment.
Didn't like the risk and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I 100% guarantee that this device will have Terms of Service you must agree to that will allow Amazon to:

-Track your location all the time
-Listen to all audio in the car including your voice all the time
-Share video and audio with police, insurance...
-Use and sell this data for marketing purposes

They already share all Ring doorbell videos with police.

At least one of the announcements said it was a partnership and would allow remote access to all 9 cameras in the Model 3/Y. You can't currently get access to 5 of the cameras with those other solutions.

Something official from Amazon or Ring, or something from one of these so-called "news" outlets?

I haven't seen anything from the source that says anything about partnership .... Entirely possible I'm wrong, but I haven't seen it. I subscribe to "Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see."

Still doesn't say a danged thing about a partnership with Tesla. No different than a Roadie. Just that someone builds something *for* a Tesla, doesn't mean Tesla is involved.

Haven't seen anywhere that says Tesla is involved with Ring.

Fair enough; there's no press release.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence; it could be working in a read-only manner such as with other products currently available but it doesn't mean there's a commercial relationship between Amazon and Tesla.

Reactions: dmurphy
Fair enough; there's no press release.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence; it could be working in a read-only manner such as with other products currently available but it doesn't mean there's a commercial relationship between Amazon and Tesla.

Exactly. I’m not saying a cozy relationship doesn’t exist; just that I haven’t seen evidence of one. To date, it’s all been things the rest of us could build, too.

More importantly, I’ve seen YouTube knuckleheads saying Ring and Tesla are working together, which actually neither company has said. This is how disinformation starts. (See: holding the brake pedal when resetting the MCU.)

Reactions: OneTinyFish
Exactly. I’m not saying a cozy relationship doesn’t exist; just that I haven’t seen evidence of one. To date, it’s all been things the rest of us could build, too.

More importantly, I’ve seen YouTube knuckleheads saying Ring and Tesla are working together, which actually neither company has said. This is how disinformation starts. (See: holding the brake pedal when resetting the MCU.)

Frankly, all the tech blogs simply copy and paste each other whenever there's a major keynote or announcement. I agree, this is how disinformation starts but I would be very surprised if Amazon's senior leadership hadn't made a call to Tesla's over this product. It may be trivial for Tesla to block it.