Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amber turn signals spotted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I hate those amber rear turn signals, but to each his own, I guess.
Indeed. I hate all-red signals with a passion, because there are ambiguous states that take longer to interpret than the unambiguous use of distinct colors for braking and signaling. The case you cited (fog) is a counter-example of ambiguity, because you couldn't tell the front from the back of the car, but in most of the cases where a car would have its hazard flashers on, the orientation of the car is relatively less important than its simple presence. Just my opinion, of course.

I suspect that the wiring is the same, but the car's firmware would have to be modified and the lamp assembly would have to be modified as well.
That depends totally on where the brake/flash logic resides. There might be separate brake/signal wires to the assembly, and the assembly might light up appropriately depending upon the state of those signals, or there may be logic elsewhere in the car. But, Tesla seems to do a lot of logic in the car's computers, so you may be right that a simple parts swap might not be all it takes.

Too bad I didn't have the opportunity to talk to the driver of the car I saw.

FWIW, by the way, I saw another car on the road the other day (I forget the manufacturer), and it had similar inner/outer tail lights with amber signals. My sense was that the assembly was not significantly different in size than the Model S's, and the car was a current model. So, that car was evidently able to meet DOT regulations, whatever they are.

FWIW, by the way, I saw another car on the road the other day (I forget the manufacturer), and it had similar inner/outer tail lights with amber signals. My sense was that the assembly was not significantly different in size than the Model S's, and the car was a current model. So, that car was evidently able to meet DOT regulations, whatever they are.

Yes. If you happen to be following a VW Passat or Golf, they have segmented lamps with separate turn and brake elements (both happen to be red) but the surface area looks to me the same as what the Model S would be with separate segments for each rather than doubling up like they do in the US and Canada.

Saw them today

I saw the new rear amber turn signals today! Heading towards Palo Alto on Page Mill, black Model S passed me on right and put on right turn signal for Deer Creek, toward Tesla headquarters. The car had special manufacturer "MFG" plates and a very bright yellow-orange turn signal in central part of the outside light cluster. I watched when brakes were applied which lit the surrounding ring a bright red, and ring on the truck lid a dim red. The amber looked very striking and got my attention. Since an MFG car I'd say odds are against the aftermarket explanation, and we may see the amber in US production.

I saw the new rear amber turn signals today! Heading towards Palo Alto on Page Mill, black Model S passed me on right and put on right turn signal for Deer Creek, toward Tesla headquarters. The car had special manufacturer "MFG" plates and a very bright yellow-orange turn signal in central part of the outside light cluster. I watched when brakes were applied which lit the surrounding ring a bright red, and ring on the truck lid a dim red. The amber looked very striking and got my attention. Since an MFG car I'd say odds are against the aftermarket explanation, and we may see the amber in US production.
Maybe. It could have been an engineering/test mule with Euro lights. But it could be an upcoming change. Many manufacturers do this, change from red to amber and back during model year changes so they can say "over 100 updates" or whatever. I would much prefer amber turn signals.

Those didn't look amber to me... It looks like they just turned the brake LED on/off... He is where it stopped, and the right signal was on... You can see the left brake LED on and the right LED is currently strobed off:
3-sig-1.png

A bit of a 'bummer' to me seeing it like that. I was hoping for more like what they did on Model X with the dedicated amber LED signal.

Sort of a case in point why I prefer amber signals... In the photo above (and as another driver doing a quick glance) you can't tell if it is either:

#1: Not braking, but left turn signal is flashing.
or
#2: Is braking but the right signal is in the "unflash" state.

So re-using the red brake LEDs make it ambiguous from a quick glance.

( Someone might point out that the CHIMSEL / 3rd-brake light being on answers the question, but I would argue that people could miss that detail in a quick glance / mental-processing of the situation... )

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyclone