Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient Temp where Regen is limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a relatively new P85D owner and on the cooler days (50's) I would use my Tesla app to get the car interior up to low 70's while getting ready to leave work. On several occasions, I noticed that my regen was limited until I drove about 5-7 miles. The car's battery was 80% charged. I also noticed it today with the ambient temp of 57 degrees when I turned the car on without preheating. Called Tesla support and they don't seem to know if this is normal or not. I figured if the outside temp was much lower, like around 30's I would see limited regen and not this early. Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds about right. When it is colder that 57 , you would have the regen limiter line for longer than you had today.
One thing you can do to avoid getting the limiter line is to try and time it so your car finishes charging to 80% when you are ready to leave. The battery will be warm due to the charging and you will not have the regen limiter line.

Thanks for all the advice; I am leaving from work when I have this problem so the car is not plugged in and here is a picture of what limited regen looks like with version 7: It's the dashed yellow marks in the regen section of the screen
IMG_3600.jpg

Thanks for all the advice; I am leaving from work when I have this problem so the car is not plugged in and here is a picture of what limited regen looks like with version 7: It's the dashed yellow marks in the regen section of the screen

Will be interesting to see if AP 7.0+ cars show blue on battery bar in very cold temps for reduced capacity also still, or maybe just on 17" charge screen now.

So if you don't have the energy app displayed, you won't know until you take your foot off the go pedal. Another design deficiency of 7.0!

Yes! For some reason, they seem to have decided to fill the option spaces on either side of the instrument cluster with mandatory information like the clock and power meters! So in FW7.0, the side slots are essentially gone. How this made it through usability testing is anybody's guess.

Agreed. I simply do not understand the the unbelievably wasted space with that useless clock. And oh how I miss day-date-time and temp at the bottom of the screen. I just don't know what they were thinking and hope they regain their senses. And on the power meter, I found it very useful and miss it too. I wonder if marketing moved in and took over. Let's get the car guys back on the UI!

Yes! For some reason, they seem to have decided to fill the option spaces on either side of the instrument cluster with mandatory information like the clock and power meters! So in FW7.0, the side slots are essentially gone. How this made it through usability testing is anybody's guess.

Agreed. I simply do not understand the the unbelievably wasted space with that useless clock. And oh how I miss day-date-time and temp at the bottom of the screen. I just don't know what they were thinking and hope they regain their senses. And on the power meter, I found it very useful and miss it too. I wonder if marketing moved in and took over. Let's get the car guys back on the UI!
Agree 100%

Can you guys craft a statement for the new 7.0 UI that identifies what data elements you would like added to the center pod display at the bottom? I am hearing:

a. Digital time
b. Outside temperature
c. Cold battery indication perhaps via color of blue if cold soaked

anything else?