Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Americans don't reverse? 'Into the void!' .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have posted before, the reversing camera and visibility is shocking, and that is with a clean camera, most of the time it is dirty and blurred.
What I don't undrstand is how they can apparently fit such an inferior rear view camera system to newer models. The performance on the camera in the 2017 MX loaner I had was totally acceptable. The one in my 2019 Raven MS is useless in dark conditions. If they plan on using it for FSD functions then surely being able to work under wide range of light levels would be important.

I will try IR lighting and see if the camera is sensitive.

Reactions: Keeper
The performance on the camera in the 2017 MX loaner I had was totally acceptable. The one in my 2019 Raven MS is useless in dark conditions.

I completely agree. My MS 2015 had excellent night time rear camera vision. My 2019 MS is appalling. For various reasons I reverse my car into my limited space garage, fortunately I have had 4 years experience in doing this but if that were not the case it would now be extremely difficult.

I never had a problem with the previous MS (2016), but the Raven is dreadful. From my research the problem is the rear camera's low-light ability - apparently changed for something that had better specs in other area, and consequence is terrible night visible-spectrum vision

I have no problem outside my house, when the roof-level floods come on, but reversing in the dark somewhere, particularly if camera lens wet, has almost zero vision. Definitely was not like that, at all, on the previous car. Putting the Rear fogs on, for more, light, doesn't make any significant difference either.

This is perhaps the thing that bugs me the most about the car. I do also think the reversing lights themselves are worse than other cars but if replacing the camera solved the problem then that would be fine.

Maybe we should raise a few (a lot?) of service requests for this point?