Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An excellent aid for showing your Tesla... batteries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla should give out token battery models in a logo-ed case to all the customer ambassadors to show off the battery size and alignment. Also design a nice little keychain out of model batteries (nontoxic), if they can craft a neat FOB key modeling the car they can well create a cool educational and marketing item.

And what makes a nice holder for your new 18650 cell is a high-quality LED flashlight. Many of them use 18650 cells; here is an example:

SC600 Cree XM-L 750Lm Flashlight 18650

This is a well-regarded light. Other equally nice brands to look at: Fenix, Jetbeam, Nitecore, Eagletac...and there are many more! Might as well store your battery in something useful. I'd prefer a protected cell for flashlight use however, which has overcharge and other protection in a circuit board attached to the cell. Anyway I've always thought a proper flashlight would be a nice feature for car makers to include. Hadn't thought of how much sense that would make for Tesla though! :smile:

Last edited:
Another good piece of info is to ask kids how far they think that one little battery can move your car. (I'd tell you but I don't do math in public.)
OK, everyone's had time to do this for yourself:

7,104 cells per 85 kWh pack
EPA range: 265 mile * 5280 ft/mile = 1,399,200 feet of EPA range
1,399,200 / 7,104 = 197 feet of rated range per cell

That's really quite impressive.

Last edited:
OK, everyone's had time to do this for yourself:

85,000Wh / (3.1 mAh * 3.6 v) = 7,617 cells per 85 kWh pack
EPA range: 265 mile * 5280 ft/mile = 1,399,200 feet of EPA range
1,399,200 / 7,617 = 183.7 feet of rated range per cell

That's really quite impressive.

There are actually 7,104 cells in the 85 kWh battery pack. I calculated it yesterday, and it was more like about 197 ft. :)

Just received this from Amazon: Amazon.com: STREAMLED: 1000LM Lumen UltraFire C8 CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch 18650 Battery Charger: Home Improvement

It includes a nice case, flashlight, 2 18650 batteries, and battery charger for $26.99 shipped free.

Good to have in the car, and it uses the 18650 cells so good for show&tell as well.

918nRSGlePL._AA1500_.jpg

All -

Just bought these on eBay too and got them yesterday.... They're GREAT!

I also have the Motor Trend 2013 Car of the year issue and at the Motor Trend announcement in NYC, I got Elon Musk to autograph my Model S reservation card. I plan on framing it all in a nice display to hang up on the wall....

Aaron

Opinions vary. One popular opinion is that the chemistry is the same for 85 and 60 kWh battery packs. If that theory is correct...

60 * 7104 / 85 = 5014.588.. ~ 5015 cells

I was told by a Tesla employee that the 60 kWh and 40 kWh packs have the same cells, just less of them. So you're probably somewhere close.

I was told by a Tesla employee that the 60 kWh and 40 kWh packs have the same cells, just less of them. So you're probably somewhere close.
Interesting. My recollection was that {85, 60} have same chemistry and the {85, 40} have the same cell count (with different chemistries). This was long ago though, it might have just been wind voices saying such things.

Interesting. My recollection was that {85, 60} have same chemistry and the {85, 40} have the same cell count (with different chemistries). This was long ago though, it might have just been wind voices saying such things.

I didn't say I had full confidence in that, but that's what I was told. :)