Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An honest review of the yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even honest yoke owners Will admit that the yoke as it is right now is inferior to a standard traditional wheel with stalks and horn-via-airbag set up

I am an honest yoke owner for 18k+ miles and strongly disagree with your statement. That is for me and my family who switch around cars sometimes. I, personally, do not know anyone else who owns a yoke. Had a MYP as a loaner and disliked the round wheel/stalks set-up and the lack of driver's display.

Also, after the latest updates, the buttons are not as sensitive as they were in the past. This helps in putting your hand over all the buttons without hitting teh wiper on to your freshly cleaned windshield.

Even honest yoke owners Will admit that the yoke as it is right now is inferior to a standard traditional wheel with stalks and horn-via-airbag set up

Interesting. Your position is that there is no possible way there are people who like and prefer the yoke… and you are calling them liars for saying so?

Interesting. Your position is that there is no possible way there are people who like and prefer the yoke… and you are calling them liars for saying so?
Not liars, but definitely a unconscious bias towards the yoke when one has spent six figures plus and the yoke is the only option. But in reality, Yoke plus no variable ratio steering plus zero ability to activate horn via airbag is by far and away, an inferior experience to traditional wheel setup. Also by far, the majority of even the most positive reviews come with caveats ala "on the highway its perfect for me. I dont make that many U turns or tight turns in the city" or "I dont really use the horn that much anyways".

I do appreciate the "i can see the guage cluster in front of me better" improvement with the yoke (Although even that usually is accompanied by the "the right side of the yoke tends to block a portion of the left side of the MCU" caveat).

Tesla had the chance to make more $$ by simply offering the yoke as a $500 to $1k option. Im sure buyers would have been all over it.....

Not liars, but definitely a unconscious bias towards the yoke when one has spent six figures plus and the yoke is the only option. But in reality, Yoke plus no variable ratio steering plus zero ability to activate horn via airbag is by far and away, an inferior experience to traditional wheel setup. Also by far, the majority of even the most positive reviews come with caveats ala "on the highway its perfect for me. I dont make that many U turns or tight turns in the city" or "I dont really use the horn that much anyways".

I do appreciate the "i can see the guage cluster in front of me better" improvement with the yoke (Although even that usually is accompanied by the "the right side of the yoke tends to block a portion of the left side of the MCU" caveat).

Tesla had the chance to make more $$ by simply offering the yoke as a $500 to $1k option. Im sure buyers would have been all over it.....

You sound pretty confident with what is going on in my head. I get it - you think we are delusional in liking the yoke and have just convinced ourselves it is a good thing when in fact it is not.

I am now analyzing other areas in my life that I have thought were a nothingburger but in reality is a life-threatening, over-generalized problem.

Tesla had the chance to make more $$ by simply offering the yoke as a $500 to $1k option. Im sure buyers would have been all over it...
I'm 750 miles in and like the yoke. No caveats.

Let us know how you feel after you've driven it for 750 miles.

You may still hate it but my liking the yoke doesn't mean you should or will.

And vice versa.

I'm 750 miles in and like the yoke. No caveats.

Let us know how you feel after you've driven it for 750 miles.

You may still hate it but my liking the yoke doesn't mean you should or will.

And vice versa.
Will do, but there is a reason why the overwhelming number of reviews seem to indicate, the yoke isnt same level as traditional wheel. (In anything, there will always be a few outliers).

Also a reason why the professional race car driver Randy Pobst had to remove the Yoke and replace with traditional wheel in order to make the Pike's Peak run.

Will do, but there is a reason why the overwhelming number of reviews seem to indicate, the yoke isnt same level as traditional wheel. (In anything, there will always be a few outliers).

Also a reason why the professional race car driver Randy Pobst had to remove the Yoke and replace with traditional wheel in order to make the Pike's Peak run.

Do we know why he really changed it? Either way, I hope the alternative comes out for me before I do the Pike's Peak run.

Is that the only thing he changed to make it race ready? lol

Do we know why he really changed it? Either way, I hope the alternative comes out for me before I do the Pike's Peak run.
One report (that I cant find offhand) mentioned that it revolved around that specific road course having a number of sharp/tight turns, and that he felt that without the car also having variable steering ratio, it was requiring him (during test runs) to place his hands in unnatural positions during those turns. He felt he could go faster/safer, with traditional steering wheel in that scenario.

Again, many feel the yoke would not be bad at all, if Tesla didnt rush the yoke and waited to implement some form of variable ratio steering, like has been hinted last week for the Cybertruck by Elon. (Although we all know how valid Elon's words have often proven to be).

Musk did say that steer-by-wire would be “ideal”:

Variable gain (steer by wire) yoke would be ideal…

"But Tesla brought the yoke steering wheel to the production versions of the refreshed Model S and Model X.

It was a controversial move both due to the lack of stalks on the wheel with the inputs, like the turn signals being replaced by force touch buttons, and due to the shape, which removes space to grab the wheel.

The latter can make it more difficult to maneuver at slower speeds and when slipping on ice.

On the other hand, the only advantages are the look, which is a matter of perception, and the fact that it enables a better view of the instrument cluster.

The main complaint from Tesla buyers has been the lack of the yoke being an option, especially since Tesla has been spotted testing the new Model S with a regular wheel prior to the launch."

One report (that I cant find offhand) mentioned that it revolved around that specific road course having a number of sharp/tight turns, and that he felt that without the car also having variable steering ratio, it was requiring him (during test runs) to place his hands in unnatural positions during those turns. He felt he could go faster/safer, with traditional steering wheel in that scenario.

Again, many feel the yoke would not be bad at all, if Tesla didnt rush the yoke and waited to implement some form of variable ratio steering, like has been hinted last week for the Cybertruck by Elon. (Although we all know how valid Elon's words have often proven to be).

Musk did say that steer-by-wire would be “ideal”:

"But Tesla brought the yoke steering wheel to the production versions of the refreshed Model S and Model X.

It was a controversial move both due to the lack of stalks on the wheel with the inputs, like the turn signals being replaced by force touch buttons, and due to the shape, which removes space to grab the wheel.

The latter can make it more difficult to maneuver at slower speeds and when slipping on ice.

On the other hand, the only advantages are the look, which is a matter of perception, and the fact that it enables a better view of the instrument cluster.

The main complaint from Tesla buyers has been the lack of the yoke being an option, especially since Tesla has been spotted testing the new Model S with a regular wheel prior to the launch."
Yes, we read articles too. That's one opinion.

Yes, we read articles too. That's one opinion.
True. But it does seem to mirror every other opinion out there. I literally cant find a single article/opinion that says the yoke is overall, better than the round wheel in its current iteration on the Model S. Most seem to imply it was all for marketing hype, as a marketing means to set the refresh S apart style wise from prior generation Ss and from other cars in general:

This comment from the last article posted is a positive one, but even this one has the usual caveats that are attempting to explain away the shortcomings:

"I'm a big believer in Tesla and what they're doing, but I'd call it out if it wasn't good," said YouTuber and electric-car enthusiast TeslaRaj when we asked him about his yoke drive. "I can't say the yoke will drastically improve the driving experience or safety, but I can say you get used to it quickly and it doesn't feel unsafe."

I've been driving and instructing HPDE for over 20 years. Rally driving, which is what Pikes Peak is closest to in terms of discipline, is not much like track driving and has nothing in common with street driving for anyone on the planet.

Pobst set faster lap times in a completely stock plaid with yoke on track versus the cadillac blackhawk and bmw m5. I promise it wasn't because of or in spite of the yoke because it's just a steering device. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
True. But it does seem to mirror every other opinion out there. I literally cant find a single article/opinion that says the yoke is overall, better than the round wheel in its current iteration on the Model S. Most seem to imply it was all for marketing hype, as a marketing means to set the refresh S apart style wise from prior generation Ss and from other cars in general:

This comment from the last article posted is a positive one, but even this one has the usual caveats that are attempting to explain away the shortcomings:

"I'm a big believer in Tesla and what they're doing, but I'd call it out if it wasn't good," said YouTuber and electric-car enthusiast TeslaRaj when we asked him about his yoke drive. "I can't say the yoke will drastically improve the driving experience or safety, but I can say you get used to it quickly and it doesn't feel unsafe."
A very odd crusade given that don't even have one yet... why is it so important to you to convince everyone the yoke is no good?

Reactions: WhiteWi
A very odd crusade given that don't even have one yet... why is it so important to you to convince everyone the yoke is no good?

Uh, wait, what? I guess his not even having one and these reviewers driving for a very short time (and most with an agenda) outweigh my 18k+ miles of real world experience. Ok, I am convinced.