Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And now for a totally different delivery experience...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the recent delivery issues others have seen, I thought I'd tell you all about mine. We've already had the car about 10 weeks now and have taken a cross country trip in it. But that's ahead of the story.

Living in Boise which happens to be almost exactly between the Salt Lake City and Portland service centers, I was offered to have the car delivered to my house since both are about 400 miles away. The ordering website defaulted me to the SLC service center who called within minutes of my order. We already knew we wanted to take delivery in Portland and so that was an easy change for them to make.

Within a day, the Portland SC called and I explained our convoluted delivery scenario. We were going to be completing a road trip with our Audi TT (TT West, an annual driving tour) in Lake Tahoe and would then drive up to Portland to take delivery. Recognizing that we would not arrive Portland until October 2 and that Tesla would likely want to complete the sale in September, and that financing at 0.99% could expire end of September we arranged to have 503 Motoring take delivery of our car for us. The folks at 503 would be applying the film, tint and ceramic coat the car. They had already worked with the folks at Tesla on other customer cars to take delivery immediately and drive the 10 miles between locations to get the paint work done.

This worked flawlessly! Tesla did not have to prep a car for customer delivery. The 503 rep documented every detail about fit and finish and drove the car to their shop. When we arrived in Portland we went over to Tesla and had them pretend deliver a similar car so they could walk us through their process. We then drove in the TT over to 503 and took delivery. Having 503 take delivery a week before we could get to Portland gave 503 time to get the proper cure for coatings to happen and they didn't have a customer asking every day when the car would be ready. And we could stay as long as needed in Portland should anything come up to have the SC take care of.

Our S100D has what I would consider very good fit and finish. All the panels line up, gaps (although larger than I would like) are consistent side to side. And of course the paint is flawless since it got paint corrected and coated before anything bad could happen.

Our only issue was that the electronic side of the A/C expansion valve failed within the first 600 miles. The Boise market has a dedicated ranger (although I think they call them something else now) and he fixed this in my driveway, ran the A/C load test and saw no errors. The steering wheel was 10 degrees off of straight and he also performed an alignment at the local shop he used for such things.

And we were off to Louisville and now 5600 miles into ownership the car is just about flawless. I did have to call once when the air suspension "failed" but this turned out to be a known defect and a hard restart resolved it. It showed up on a high speed 270 degree cloverleaf with a fully loaded car.

I know of other detail shops that will come get your car at the dealer so this may not be all that unique. But overall a very good delivery experience for us.

How much did you spend at 503 for that FULL SERVICE? I am taking delivery there too in February.
Todd
It was pricey for sure at right around $5K and then another $300 or so for the tint which I added on after the initial order. My PCA membership wasn't helpful but Dan did cut some off the tint.

In general I keep cars for a long time and intend to keep the Tesla "forever" so I don't mind investing up front dollars to keep things looking good.

I worked with Kyle at the Tesla shop and he and Dan have done this delivery method multiple times. Very happy with the result.

I was told just the normal machine polish was needed. No specific areas that required any additional attention. What I got from 503 was the full front Xpel film and then CP gold applied over the whole car, wheels also. I have the grey slipstream 19 inch wheels. Also then added the 35% adaptive tint all around expect the windshield and roof.

I really don't know if 503 had to negotiate at all with Tesla during delivery but it only took them about 30 minutes to inspect the car so I suppose nothing was amiss when the car changed hands. I was traveling somewhere in California at the time and got some pictures from Dan. Looked great and he was impressed with the build quality so maybe that indicated this was and exception for them?

In any event I can highly recommend 503. I considered my coating expense as the down payment on the car since Alliant financed the full retail value at 0.99%