Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Angela Chao accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems funny to use the term "gearshift" for anything on electric cars. :)

One of my Teslas has a stalk and one doesn't. It's hard to imagine making a mistake with the stalk. Move your hand up for reverse and down for drive, just like every car in the world. The on-screen "gearshift" is the opposite. Under stress, muscle-memory kicks in.
The mistake that is made is with the stalk you tend to not confirm on the screen what gear you are in so when you are doing back and forth gear switches (like for this three point turn), you may have flicked it in such a way it didn't register the change yet.

Reactions: rlsd
It seems funny to use the term "gearshift" for anything on electric cars. :)

One of my Teslas has a stalk and one doesn't. It's hard to imagine making a mistake with the stalk. Move your hand up for reverse and down for drive, just like every car in the world. The on-screen "gearshift" is the opposite. Under stress, muscle-memory kicks in.
For me, it is more intuitive to move my hand up to go forward and down for reverse.
I have made an error with the stalks on occasion because of this odd (IMO) setup.

Most of my past cars had shifters on the transmission tunnel.
I also am a gamer where ‘up’ almost always means ‘forward’ unless you are talking about flight simulators.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Reactions: Zythryn
That design is ok for the rear doors because most modern cars also have rear child locks which can completely prevent the rear doors from being able to open. The design is that way likely for the same reason (so children can't easily find and reach them to pull on them).

I take it the government thinks the risk of a child opening the door is greater than it playing a role in a vehicle submersion accident.

The Model 3 until the new Highland refresh doesn't even have a manual release at all in the rear.
Great point, rear doors become traps for anyone if a rear child lock is engaged and you don't know how to bypass. Never really thought about it before electric locks. Now I wonder how my 2012 Tundra rear locks worked.

If it was 2020 with stalk, you push down for forward, and up for reverse.
If it was 2021 with on-screen shift, you swipe up for forward and down for reverse. BUT... it should have already selected forward unless there was something blocking the front of the car.

It's not just for opening the door in the pond. There are several other situations that need it.
You can also run the door locks off of the DC-DC converter from the high voltage system. I’m not sure of that covers a 12V battery short circuit failure though.
How often do those situations happen and how likely is it for the 12V battery to fail at the same time?

Reactions: pilotSteve
You can also run the door locks off of the DC-DC converter from the high voltage system. I’m not sure of that covers a 12V battery short circuit failure though.
How often do those situations happen and how likely is it for the 12V battery to fail at the same time?
If the touchscreen goes blank, or other control buttons fail because of 12 volt battery failure on freeway the the second battery may help.