Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Hyundai IONIQ 6 Rebate Undercuts Model 3 Highland By $9,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$9K savings is clickbait. Actual savings is between 1-4K

Per the article "With the incentive, the starting price of the IONIQ 6 could fall from an MSRP of $38,615 down to just $31,115."

However, the lowest MSRP on Hyundai website for Ionic 6 SE RWD is $42.5K and the cheapest MSRP I see from dealers in my area starts at 50K. Automakers advertise a cheap base trim option, but in reality make mostly upper trim levels,
Cheapest Ionic 6 SEL RWD I could configure was $45.7K-7.5K rebate=$35K vs Highland RWD at $39K. There is a SE version "coming soon" for $42.5K, but the SEL is barest spec that even resembles Model 3 features.

For 2024, the IRA tax credit is confusing and changing. Hyundai was never eligible for the $7.5k tax credit, but they get around it thru a lease loophole and not sure how it will work in 2024. The current "7.5K Retail Bonus Cash" offered by Hyundai is only valid thru 1/31/24. As with any dealer incentive it may or may not continue.
Tesla has been pretty aggressive about changing component sourcing to take advantage of the IRA credits and I wouldn't bet on the Highland not being eligible for at least $3.750 IRA Tax credit later this year.

Hyundai group (Kia, Hyundai, Genesis) is probably the second best EV maker (battery and technology) in US. Unfortunately, they still lack volume. Hyundai sold 33k Ionic 5 in 2023 and i doubt they will sell 20K Ionic 6 in 2024 since sedans are less popular and are only sold in select states.

They will have access to the Tesla SC network at some point this year(Q3+). However due to the 800V architecture, owners are not going to get good charging speeds from current SC which are designed for 400V.

Don't forget to factor in the dreaded dealer "market adjustment"
View attachment 1008358
i could show you 10x Ioniq 6 here in the Dallas- Ft.W. metroplex able to be picked up today for $39k to $46k (from SEL to Limited trim) without dealer market adjustment and after the $7500 corp discount. They are sitting on lots. The "dealer market adjustment" is largely gone by now... Ford will sell you a F150 Lightning well below msrp as well.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
It will still be really good. An Ioniq 5 on 800V does 10-80% in 18 minutes, but it only grows to 25 minutes on a 400 V charger. Should be exactly the same for an Ioniq 6 on a Gen 3 Supercharger.
and we are comparing a $39k Hyundai versus a $39k Tesla Model 3 SR+ here which basically tops out ~150kw and it's only downhill from there on. At least the Hyundai will see 250kw ...

Reactions: smogne41
I am torn on this. I love what Hyundai is doing with EVs, and I think it is clear they are one of the only OEMs that actually take it seriously. I think the Ioniq 5 is a lovely piece of design but is too big for my taste. I really want to like the Ioniq 6, and on paper it should check all my boxes. But the more I see it (especially in person) the less I like its looks. If I was in the market right now it would still be near the top of my candidate list, but I would really have to come to terms with the looks.

Really curious to see what it looks like after a mid-generation refresh in the next few years though. With a few tweaks it may look a lot better. Especially a few tweaks in the front.

Oh god

I can’t believe I have to explain why the Model 3 highland is a far superior car than a Hyundai lol

I have owned Hyundais before and have owned several Teslas since 2018.

Like I said in my original post, “ if you’re looking to save money” then sure, maybe another EV maker is cheaper.

But, please please do not say that a Hyundai EV is comparable to a Model 3 highland . It is not even close.

To those of you who have listed all the comparisons - have you driven a model 3 / model 3 highland ? Have you driven the Hyundai EV?

On paper, you can compare a lot of specs , but nothing beats actual use of the car. The guy who said Tesla AP “does not work” lmao. Have you ever used it? I’ve used Tesla AP since 2018 almost daily and no other car maker has a system that’s even close - yes, I have tried them

You want a cheap ev car? Ok go buy one, buy a Nissan Leaf or whatever 20k. But don’t say it’s just as good as Highland Model 3 for the love of god

Reactions: cusetownusa
Oh god

I can’t believe I have to explain why the Model 3 highland is a far superior car than a Hyundai lol

Like I said in my original post, “ if you’re looking to save money” then sure, maybe another EV maker is cheaper.

But, please please do not say that a Hyundai EV is comparable to a Model 3 highland . It is not even close.

To those of you who have listed all the comparisons - have you driven a model 3 / model 3 highland ? Have you driven the Hyundai EV?

On paper, you can compare a lot of specs , but nothing beats actual use of the car. The guy who said Tesla AP “does not work” lmao. Have you ever used it? I’ve used Tesla AP since 2018 almost daily and no other car maker has a system that’s even close - yes, I have tried them

You want a cheap ev car? Ok go buy one, buy a Nissan Leaf or whatever 20k. But don’t say it’s just as good as Highland Model 3 for the love of god
I have driven my Model 3, and I have driven my friends Ioniq 5. The materials quality felt very comparable actually, the build quality felt generally better, and in terms of a human-centric design the Ioniq 5 wins. I expect the underlying EV drive-train and battery engineering in the Tesla is still ahead, and is certainly packaged better (no real frunk in the Ioniq). But the eGMP cars offer things that Tesla does not (faster charging and vehicle-to-load), so mixed bag there. However even compared to the driver interface in my 2018 Model 3, Highland is a driver-hostile downgrade I would never even consider. Five minutes in the Ioniq and I could tell they put so much more thought into the driver experience of, you know, actually driving than Tesla ever has. I have come to the conclusion that is a really important consideration to me, but I know that is not true for everybody (clearly).

Oh god

Stop projecting!!! What works for you doesn't work for everyone else. If someone doesn't want to purchase a Tesla and GOD FORBID wants to choose something different, the world will not catch on fire! :D

I've owned two Hyundais in the past -- a 2011 Sonata 2.0T SE (their first with the 2.0-liter turbo four) and a 2013 Elantra Limited. Both were great vehicles. After two years, I sold the Sonata 2.0T and got a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI because we had a baby on the way and I wanted more storage space. We kept the Elantra for 7 years and put 98,000 miles on it. Nothing ever broke, and all we did was replace tires, oil changes, cabin filters and wiper blades.

Since that time, we've had Audis and Subarus until I got the Model 3 in the summer of 2021. It's been the best car I've ever owned. My wife got the Model Y in February of 2023, and it's been her favorite car to date.

But back to the topic at hand -- I've driven both the Model 3 and the Ioniq 6 (and the Ioniq 5, for that matter). I find the Ioniq 6 and the Model 3 to be very comparable specs-wise and performance-wise in the real world. The Ioniq 6 rides much better than my Model 3 SR+ -- it is more compliant and has less harsh impact over rough surfaces. It drives more like a Camry, whereas my SR+ drives more like my previous B9 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro with Sport Package - very firm. Road noise is also not as pronounced in the Ioniq 6 versus my SR+. The dash layout of the Ioniq 6 is OK, and I liked having a gauge cluster in front of me. However, I've gotten so used to the large central screen on my SR+ that I don't really see it as a disadvantage anymore.

They're both around the 6-second range 0-60 and the Hyundai gets better range and sticks closer to its EPA rating than my 3 or Y (the caveat being that my 2021 SR+ with NCA batteries is nearly a second faster 0-60 than the current Model 3 RWD). Styling is subjective, but feature for feature, the Model 3 and Ioniq 6 aren't that far off. Things lacking with the Ioniq 6 compared to the Model 3 Highland is that it doesn't have a true "Performance" variant. I also don't like the shallow trunk with its sloped opening (it robs space a bit). The ventilated seats would be nice, but you can get a higher trim for that. The rear display screen is more of a gimmick for my usage case. I'm never in the back seat of my car, and my kids would rather use their phones/tablets anyway. Other than that, everything is pretty much a wash, in my opinion.

However, for someone who is going to buy a vehicle as an appliance -- as most people do -- you can't go wrong with either the 3 or the Ioniq 6. But minds can change if you're staring at a $7,500 instant cash incentive.

With that said, I don't consider myself an authority on anything, and I wouldn't dare try to use my OPINION on a particular to look down or snub my nose at someone with a comparable vehicle in mind.

Last edited:
Oh god

i've driven the Ioniq 5 in Germany and compared to my 2019 Model 3 AWD ... the Ioniq 5 was noticeably quieter inside and a much more refined ride. Interior quality in terms of soft/hard surfaces about the same as my Tesla. Fit/Finish better.

$9K savings is clickbait. Actual savings is between 1-4K

Per the article "With the incentive, the starting price of the IONIQ 6 could fall from an MSRP of $38,615 down to just $31,115."

However, the lowest MSRP on Hyundai website for Ionic 6 SE RWD is $42.5K and the cheapest MSRP I see from dealers in my area starts at 50K. Automakers advertise a cheap base trim option, but in reality make mostly upper trim levels,
Cheapest Ionic 6 SEL RWD I could configure was $45.7K-7.5K rebate=$35K vs Highland RWD at $39K. There is a SE version "coming soon" for $42.5K, but the SEL is barest spec that even resembles Model 3 features.

For 2024, the IRA tax credit is confusing and changing. Hyundai was never eligible for the $7.5k tax credit, but they get around it thru a lease loophole and not sure how it will work in 2024. The current "7.5K Retail Bonus Cash" offered by Hyundai is only valid thru 1/31/24. As with any dealer incentive it may or may not continue.
Tesla has been pretty aggressive about changing component sourcing to take advantage of the IRA credits and I wouldn't bet on the Highland not being eligible for at least $3.750 IRA Tax credit later this year.

Hyundai group (Kia, Hyundai, Genesis) is probably the second best EV maker (battery and technology) in US. Unfortunately, they still lack volume. Hyundai sold 33k Ionic 5 in 2023 and i doubt they will sell 20K Ionic 6 in 2024 since sedans are less popular and are only sold in select states.

They will have access to the Tesla SC network at some point this year(Q3+). However due to the 800V architecture, owners are not going to get good charging speeds from current SC which are designed for 400V.

Don't forget to factor in the dreaded dealer "market adjustment"
View attachment 1008358
Regarding dealer mark up, this is one of the major factors why we pulled the trigger on the Model 3 rather than the Bolt or Ioniq 5. We couldn’t get the model we wanted. Tesla called us and said, “C’mon down. Your car is waiting for you.” Exact price advertised and no salesmen.

Otherwise the Hyundais look intriguing to me.

If you want to save money, than I guess that's a different story....

but, how does that even compare to a Tesla Model 3 highland? Might be in a similar price range, but a Tesla M3 with AP, charging network, speed, power, handling, features blow ALL other EV car makers out the water. I don't see how this can even compare...
AP isn’t that great. I’ve tried super cruise, blue cruise, Tesla FSD and for AP there is no exceptional difference. Tesla super charger network reigns supreme but I’ve already been notified by GM that they’re preparing to ship my NACS adaptor. Tesla makes the best EVs still but not necessarily the best cars. These other cars are well made, creature comforts and build quality.

perhaps you should improve comprehension. Tesla is opening the network to all and it’s smart business. Tesla energy will become a huge profit center. Not only for Tesla branded SCs but theyre selling the equipment to other network providers.

I think you misunderstood. :D I have a Kona EV. So I'm interested to know about experience with the NACSJ3400 adapters and thought it interesting to know that GM was already communicating about it with EV owners.

Reactions: Zer0t
If you want to save money, than I guess that's a different story....

but, how does that even compare to a Tesla Model 3 highland? Might be in a similar price range, but a Tesla M3 with AP, charging network, speed, power, handling, features blow ALL other EV car makers out the water. I don't see how this can even compare...
Its saddled with the slow Tesla chargers. But the chargers are reliable and plentiful, so google maps your planned use case and see which is truly better.
It doesn't blow other performance EVs out of the water in handling or accelerating.
The features are basically good software and thats about where they begin and end.
Build quality is not so good.

I looked at the m3 and my performance as well as an X, before buying my Kia. Tesla has some advantages, but also a lot of minuses.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3