Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Hyundai IONIQ 6 Rebate Undercuts Model 3 Highland By $9,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a Tesla guy first and foremost, but

c312d1052bbadb8d0a27fb149dad7739_w200.gif

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: mgs333 and Mr X

If you want to save money, than I guess that's a different story....

but, how does that even compare to a Tesla Model 3 highland? Might be in a similar price range, but a Tesla M3 with AP, charging network, speed, power, handling, features blow ALL other EV car makers out the water. I don't see how this can even compare...

Reactions: Mr X

but, how does that even compare to a Tesla Model 3 highland? Might be in a similar price range, but a Tesla M3 with AP, charging network, speed, power, handling, features blow ALL other EV car makers out the water. I don't see how this can even compare...
You are looking at this through Tesla-colored lenses. I’m looking at it through a purely economical sense. If I’m going to be purchasing a new vehicle for the sole purpose of commuting around town, want low running costs, and something that is comfortable and reliable, it makes sense. It’s basically an EV Sonata or Camry. It’s cheap and gets the job done, so why would I pay more for a Highland? If the Highland still had the tax credit, that’d be a different story.

If I’m buying a new EV for my son who will be driving soon, I don’t care about looks, how fast it is, etc. I want something that is going to be good, safe, basic transportation that’s going to go easy on my wallet — and can be passed down to his younger brother. And a $9000 price difference is a huge deal for some people.

A lot of people are price sensitive, with that being a big barrier to entry. Just look at how Tesla sales jumped when they started lowering prices — it got us to switch from buying a Highlander Limited Hybrid to getting a Model Y Long Range in February 2023. A $31,000 EV with no tax credits to mess with is good for consumers, and is a good way to drive EV adoption — which is the end goal. I also don’t want to live in a homogeneous world where everyone is driving Teslas. I want to have some variety to pick from — just like the ICE vehicle market.

Just remember that not everyone has the same priorities in buying a vehicle. We own a 3 and Y because they are the best fit for OUR lifestyles/wants/needs/budget. A Ioniq 6 makes sense for US if adding it as our third EV in the family.

IMG_1467.jpeg

Your drinking the Tesla kool-aid.

For most, $9,000 (tax free) is more than a month’s salary.

The Ioniq 6 does use Tesla Superchargers.

Tesla’s autopilot doesn’t work. The IONIQ 6 has lane assist and cruise control, it works well.

Randy Parker, the CEO of Hyundai USA doesn’t embarrass me. Pretty sure he’s never told others to F**k off, F**K OFF on national television.

As far as performance, Tesla is less than truthful about range, acceleration and the like. Hyundai’s numbers are typically conservative. Who's numbers are you using?

From Motor Trend
The fit and finish of the Ioniq 6 makes the Model 3 look cheap and downmarket. The panel gaps are tight, the paint superb, and the lights glitter like jewelry. Inside, the Hyundai looks and feels like a luxury car compared with the Bauhaus-bare cabin of the Model 3, with well-chosen materials and sophisticated forms and detailing.

If I was in the market, I’d visit my Hyundai dealer for a test drive.

IMG_1466.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 1008245
Your drinking the Tesla kool-aid.

For most, $9,000 (tax free) is more than a month’s salary.

The Ioniq 6 does use Tesla Superchargers.

Tesla’s autopilot doesn’t work. The IONIQ 6 has lane assist and cruise control, it works well.

Randy Parker, the CEO of Hyundai USA doesn’t embarrass me. Pretty sure he’s never told others to F**k off, F**K OFF on national television.

As far as performance, Tesla is less than truthful about range, acceleration and the like. Hyundai’s numbers are typically conservative. Who's numbers are you using?

From Motor Trend
The fit and finish of the Ioniq 6 makes the Model 3 look cheap and downmarket. The panel gaps are tight, the paint superb, and the lights glitter like jewelry. Inside, the Hyundai looks and feels like a luxury car compared with the Bauhaus-bare cabin of the Model 3, with well-chosen materials and sophisticated forms and detailing.

If I was in the market, I’d visit my Hyundai dealer for a test drive.

View attachment 1008241

1) That sounds about right for our family. Our monthly income is roughly $9,000 take-home/after taxes (my wife and I combined). However, the median family income in the U.S. is FAR lower, and $9,000 of total family income could be two or more months' salary for them. So I agree, $9,000 is nothing to scoff at in the grand scheme of things.

2) Ioniq 6 works on SOME Superchargers. Magic Dock is not widespread at all across the United States... yet. I'd imagine that Magic Dock installations are currently in the low single digits of all installed U.S. Superchargers (although I could be wrong).

For us, Supercharger access isn't even a big deal (although it may be for people that road trip more often). We have a Tesla wall charger in the garage. For the past year (according to the Tesla app), I've charged 90 percent at home and 10 percent on a Supercharger with my Model 3. My wife has charged 95 percent at home and 5 percent at a Supercharger with her Model Y. If we get an Ioniq 6 for our son, Supercharger access won't be an issue -- he'll charge at home on the Tesla charger with an adapter. Family road trips are taken in the Y.

3) Tesla Autopilot works PERFECTLY for me 🤷‍♂️. I had some rare phantom braking occurrences when I first got my 3, but I haven't had any in the past two years (I've had the car for 2.5 years now).

4) I won't argue about the fit/finish. It doesn't really bother me with my Tesla, but the Hyundai/Kia build and paint quality is, in general, better than Tesla, IMHO. However, I do like the soft touch materials all through the cabin of our 3/Y and nothing is really offensive.

Reactions: Big Earl

let's see:

range = about the same. The Ioniq 6 is rated 305 miles in RWD and just about gets that in real world driving. I don't see the 340 miles Tesla rated Highland doing better than that real world

charging network = Hyundai is being opened up to SCs this year and with an adapter you will be able to use Tesla SCs

performance = Tesla 3 hands down, the RWD Ioniq 6 does 0-60 in 6 seconds....

Tesla AP = Hyundai offers the lane keep, lane follow assist with adaptive cruise control which also uses radar in addition to cameras.... I'd say i would prefer Hyundai there over the "vision only" mess my Model 3 is regarding phantom braking

features = the Limited trim which is on price parity with the Model 3 AWD after discounts features ventilated seats, heated seats, power moonroof, 8 speaker Bose system; 2 screens in the front, vegan leather seats and whatnot

Design = i personally prefer the Model 3 ;
but the Ioniq 6 looks better in real world than on photos

Repair/ Service network = Hyundai, hands down

1) That sounds about right for our family. Our monthly income is roughly $9,000 take-home/after taxes (my wife and I combined). However, the median family income in the U.S. is FAR lower, and $9,000 of total family income could be two or more months' salary for them. So I agree, $9,000 is nothing to scoff at in the grand scheme of things.

2) Ioniq 6 works on SOME Superchargers. Magic Dock is not widespread at all across the United States... yet. I'd imagine that Magic Dock installations are currently in the low single digits of all installed U.S. Superchargers (although I could be wrong).

For us, Supercharger access isn't even a big deal (although it may be for people that road trip more often). We have a Tesla wall charger in the garage. For the past year (according to the Tesla app), I've charged 90 percent at home and 10 percent on a Supercharger with my Model 3. My wife has charged 95 percent at home and 5 percent at a Supercharger with her Model Y. If we get an Ioniq 6 for our son, Supercharger access won't be an issue -- he'll charge at home on the Tesla charger with an adapter. Family road trips are taken in the Y.

3) Tesla Autopilot works PERFECTLY for me 🤷‍♂️. I had some rare phantom braking occurrences when I first got my 3, but I haven't had any in the past two years (I've had the car for 2.5 years now).

4) I won't argue about the fit/finish. It doesn't really bother me with my Tesla, but the Hyundai/Kia build and paint quality is, in general, better than Tesla, IMHO. However, I do like the soft touch materials all through the cabin of our 3/Y and nothing is really offensive.
Hyundai is providing a NACS adapter this year and Tesla will open up their SC network. Later this year all Hyundais will factory ship with the NACS port. It is a non issue if you can wait a few months for the adapter.

Hyundai is providing a NACS adapter this year and Tesla will open up their SC network. Later this year all Hyundais will factory ship with the NACS port. It is a non issue if you can wait a few months for the adapter.
To be clear, they are shipping the NACS adapter to owners of older Hyundai’s free of charge. That’s customer service.

It’s 2024 not 2018, get with the times. The Tesla Highland is nothing but a bunch of Mods done on this forum that Tesla took and claims it’s “all-new”.

The December pricing of RWD Model 3 with discounts and tax credit was still a better though...if I'm not mistaken, no Hyundai EV qualifies for the fed tax credit right?
Yes, the Model 3 RWD was cheaper last month. But that's not the case today, with the tax credit now gone for the Model 3 RWD and Long Range. And no, the Ioniq 6 doesn't qualify for the federal credit, which is why Hyundai is putting cash on the hood.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Yes, the Model 3 RWD was cheaper last month. But that's not the case today, with the tax credit now gone for the Model 3 RWD and Long Range. And no, the Ioniq 6 doesn't qualify for the federal credit, which is why Hyundai is putting cash on the hood.
yup. and EVERYONE gets it. My guess is that quite a few folks here were income wise never eligible for the tax credit but the cash rebate from Hyundai is applicable to everyone. basically: msrp minus $7500 and add whatever other discounts dealers offer right now. the $7500 comes from Hyundai corporate so no dealer BS.

A well equipped Ioniq 6 SEL with EPA 305 miles goes after that cash discount for ~$39k ... same price as a EPA 272 miles Model 3 Highland... but you get a more range (even more so after factoring in that the Ioniq get fairly close to EPA on the road) and much faster charging compared to the LFP Model 3 SR+.

Last edited:

No, adapter will be offered 2025Q1.
No, NACS port not offered 2025.
Only the Kia EV6 will be offered with NACS before then.

Pros:
Configurable regen!
Customer service doesn't totally suck.
More service centers.

Cons:
Temperature management isn't as good. More subject to charging temperature issues. They've been trying to address this.
Not as efficient as Model 3.
Trunk opening is worse.
At least until 2025Q1: CCS, only Magic Dock Superchargers.

Maybe con:
Double check they've fixed their 48A charging issues if you need 48A.
Check ability to adjust charge limits in app. I can't in my Kona EV. It could when I bought it end of 2020, but it didn't work right and they removed it in 2021.
Compare charge scheduling and charging behavior. My Kona EV has some annoyances. I know Tesla sucks for scheduling as well, but when that behavior matters for you, it matters.
Compare rear headroom.

Nos for us on both:
No dumb cruise fallback. If the computer says no, you have no cruise control.
Too big.
Trunk, not hatch.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
$9K savings is clickbait. Actual savings is between 1-4K

Per the article "With the incentive, the starting price of the IONIQ 6 could fall from an MSRP of $38,615 down to just $31,115."

However, the lowest MSRP on Hyundai website for Ionic 6 SE RWD is $42.5K and the cheapest MSRP I see from dealers in my area starts at 50K. Automakers advertise a cheap base trim option, but in reality make mostly upper trim levels,
Cheapest Ionic 6 SEL RWD I could configure was $45.7K-7.5K rebate=$35K vs Highland RWD at $39K. There is a SE version "coming soon" for $42.5K, but the SEL is barest spec that even resembles Model 3 features.

For 2024, the IRA tax credit is confusing and changing. Hyundai was never eligible for the $7.5k tax credit, but they get around it thru a lease loophole and not sure how it will work in 2024. The current "7.5K Retail Bonus Cash" offered by Hyundai is only valid thru 1/31/24. As with any dealer incentive it may or may not continue.
Tesla has been pretty aggressive about changing component sourcing to take advantage of the IRA credits and I wouldn't bet on the Highland not being eligible for at least $3.750 IRA Tax credit later this year.

Hyundai group (Kia, Hyundai, Genesis) is probably the second best EV maker (battery and technology) in US. Unfortunately, they still lack volume. Hyundai sold 33k Ionic 5 in 2023 and i doubt they will sell 20K Ionic 6 in 2024 since sedans are less popular and are only sold in select states.

They will have access to the Tesla SC network at some point this year(Q3+). However due to the 800V architecture, owners are not going to get good charging speeds from current SC which are designed for 400V.

Don't forget to factor in the dreaded dealer "market adjustment"
1705085325662.png

They will have access to the Tesla SC network at some point this year(Q3+). However due to the 800V architecture, owners are not going to get good charging speeds from current SC which are designed for 400V.

Again https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/3952

Adapter not available until 2025Q1.
They say "New or refreshed" from 2024Q4 and it seems the Hyundai IONIQs will have it from 2024Q4. No wonder they will lay on incentives on the CCS ones.

(I'm also curious what's going to happen in South Korea and some other countries where CCS1 is the standard plug. It's also been standard in Central America. If the USA and Canada shift to J3400 that's a lot of the CCS1 market moving.)

It's not great 400V charging, but it's improved from before. It was fixed around July or August 2023. The limit for 400V is 105kW and people reported high 90s at Superchargers. It should be able to maintain that rate. So, if they're 75kWh, 10% to 80% of the battery should be around 25 minutes. I wish my Kona EV charged that fast. :p

Last edited:
It will still be really good. An Ioniq 5 on 800V does 10-80% in 18 minutes, but it only grows to 25 minutes on a 400 V charger. Should be exactly the same for an Ioniq 6 on a Gen 3 Supercharger.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3