Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted this in another thread but decided it may also go well here.

Just want to contribute my 2 cents.
I found the in car tesla navigation to be a bit off in range on certain routes that I have taken in the past and decided to give this app a try last week when I went from Los angeles to San francisco.
tesla_to | Digital Auto Guides

Its a forum member who made it and it uses multiple things to calculate range altitude, weather, wind, speed you like to drive at etc...

I have to say it was SPOT ON! On my way back it said I would have 33 miles left when I would arrive to my house.

Almost home and I was saying to myself, "no way this thing is accurate I should be much less than that". Nevertheless I kept driving to test it. Well the few mile descent through the grapevine gave me the mileage needed and I did arrive to my house with about 38 miles left. I was shocked! I actually proffered its route calculation more since it had me stopping at superchargers for only a few minutes where the tesla navigation wanted me to stop for a full 40 minutes at certain ones.

Also, the TESLA navigation was indeed accurate for the first time (iv done the same drive before). Im wondering if they optimized it with the latest map update that my car received.

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Angel
I have to say it was SPOT ON! On my way back it said I would have 33 miles left when I would arrive to my house.
Cool. ;)

I am working with a number of TMC members who are adding feature requests that could take a few years to fully flush out. Should be little tidbits coming every few months with probably annual major feature updates.

The next set of tidbits will deal with favorites. Improving the user experience here.

Reactions: boaterva
It would be great if you made a youtube video explaining the menu structure. I find it bit confusing since Im not sure what everything does. Do you have a manual online by any chance?
I hate videos.:eek:

But I hear you on the menu structure etc. The app is very complex. There is help everywhere, in context, but sometimes the details are buried 5 levels deep.

I am working on an online compiled version of the help. It will probably take a few more weeks to complete. This could help.

The two best places to get an overview are the Main Menu - Help and the Plans Menu (map) Help. They provide an overview of those two main areas.

In the meantime some of this could help you:
Digital Auto Guides | Bringing mobile technology to both classic and emerging automobiles.

Impacts from new Google map data fees? It is affecting teslawaze
TBD.

So far I think I am OK since I made this leap last year when I went to a subscription model. I smelled blood in the water then. But Googles analysis tools for consumption are far from truthful. You never really know what you have to pay until they bill you. It's amazing to me they can tell you some aspects within seconds but don't put all the parts together until much later.

A simple example is that they really rate you for some services on how many responses they provide. So you could make a request for the closest chargers from a waypoint and get back 1 to 100 responses. Fair enough. But they have that information immediately but will not disclose it until you are billed. They will however tell you immediately how many requests you made. :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and ohmman
Impacts from new Google map data fees?
Well it turns out even though Google stated my fees were going to go down, after I delved into it more, they were actually going to go up 15x (1500% increase). Needless to say that would kill EVTO.

I have done some work to remove as much of the expensive Google content as I can in the app and am now testing this to make sure it still performs properly. I will monitor this prior and during the June 11th cutover of their new pricing.

This may be the demise of the free version of EVTO which is too bad. Not sure what math Google is using in coming up with their prices. Probably the same math that told me I was getting a price reduction when it was really a dramatic increase.

I have done some work to remove as much of the expensive Google content as I can in the app and am now testing this to make sure it still performs properly. I will monitor this prior and during the June 11th cutover of their new pricing.

Not understanding all the issues involved, are there any reasonably priced but still functional alternatives to the Google services?

Bruce.

Not understanding all the issues involved, are there any reasonably priced but still functional alternatives to the Google services?

Bruce.
The service that is costing me the most is the Directions Matrix service. That determines the distance and times between all stops. I cache the supercharger to supercharger ones, and also ones from non superchargers to superchargers. But every time someone goes to a new place I take a hit from between 25 and 75 locations. Monthly this is adding up to over 200k lookups. Google gives you 40k for free and after that the prices used to be reasonable, but will be astronomical come June 11th.

I am not aware of commercial alternatives for this issue but have cooked up a lower tech version that I am testing that does not require Google.

Later I may hit the Google Maps loads though. I am about 2/3 of the way there now. When that happens I will have to look for an alternative for Google maps or cut back on people who play but don't pay.:(

There are alternatives but they may not be as good. Bing also charges after a certain number of requests “125,000 cumulative Billable Transactions (which will be free of charge) as defined in the SDKs, per calendar year (iv) your Company Application does not exceed 5 queries per second, calculated as the sum of client-side and server-side queries.”
Wikimapia and Here are just a couple more of the dozen alternatives. With the Google price increase there may be a domino effect in pricing and hitching your wagon to a new horse us a difficult decision

Wikimapia and Here are just a couple more of the dozen alternatives. With the Google price increase there may be a domino effect in pricing and hitching your wagon to a new horse us a difficult decision
I have requests out to a few of the more popular ones for estimates. I also fear that everyone will jump on Google's price wagon.:eek:

My hack to avoid all of this works, but does not give the same results.