Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A web-based app would be much more useful since we could use it as alternative navigation in the car on the big screen. Monetize it using a paid login. Just a suggestion.

It's the opposite for me - this phone/tablet based app is so much more convenient that the in-car screen navigation. You can spend time on various routings as and when you like and synchronise with the in-car navigation instantly. This app also does in seconds a better job than what the in-car navigation does in minutes. The current in-car web browser is all but unusable except for the most basic things, it's so slow.

Does it look at destination chargers on PlugShare too or just super chargers?

Asking as taiwan has only supercharger so far. This can be hugely valuable if it can look at the hundreds of nonsupercharger chargers

A web-based app would be much more useful since we could use it as alternative navigation in the car on the big screen. Monetize it using a paid login. Just a suggestion.
I definitely don't want you to use it as an alternative to the in car navigation. :eek:

I did some experiments before and as was pointed out the browser was dismally slow to the point of being useless. For my App, that is already heavy in features and UI stuff, it would never get loaded. And there are at least two planners that I am aware of that people use in the car today that are much more simplistic.

But ...

What would you think if I provided the ability to SEE the selected trip, but not edit it, in the car?

Not that I am ready to do that, just asking in case I get bored.;)

To me, the option to use it on bigger screens is not that important compared to working out the existing and future bugs. I'm still impatiently awaiting Apple Store updates; why are they taking so long? Version 1.0 crashes all the time and I had to use other ways to plan for two long trips already, and I know you've fixed about a dozen versions since then, but none of them show up for update.

I just wanted to update on my use of EVTO, since I was one of the first to comment here. The app is working very well -- there are some quirks still being ironed out, but I think it will far surpass the capabilities and utility of other planners currently available.

The basic version is very usable and does a good job of occasional trip planning. The Pro version will be extremely useful for me on longer trips, where I have overnight stays, which are a definite part of the planning process. The upgrade price of the Pro version is extremely reasonable, even for a skinflint like me.

The best part of this, of course, is that weather is included. That is more meaningful than it first appears -- remember that the other planners not only make you enter a wind speed manually, but that wind speed is carried over for every bit of your trip. If the wind dies or picks up during the day, or if you change direction on the route, that weather correction is no longer valid. EVTO makes the correction throughout the trip, and you can update it at any time.

This app makes me want to take a trip just to try it out!

Reactions: Tomnook and bmah

^^^ This. I'll be doing a nice long trip in a few weeks and am looking forward to using this before and on the trip.

As far as form factor, for myself I'm perfectly fine using this on my tablet device (9.7-inch iPad Pro). I don't think it'd be significantly more useful as a Web application (the main advantage being able to throw that up on the CID, but as you indicated upthread, you'd have to work around its subpar browsing experience, and in any case, precision operation of the CID screen is sometimes difficult). What might be useful to see on the CID is a list of all the waypoints...maybe that's what you get with the calendar export? (I purchased the Pro upgrade but haven't had a chance to play with this aspect yet.)

Crazy idea: What about saving trips (and sharing between devices) with iCloud? (Does Android have something similar?)

Also I forgot to mention before that I'm really impressed by the volume and quality of the documentation.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Crazy idea: What about saving trips (and sharing between devices) with iCloud? (Does Android have something similar?)

Also I forgot to mention before that I'm really impressed by the volume and quality of the documentation.

Bruce.

See up-thread, 55-57 for sharing. Fully supported, although a tad clunky IMHO having to go through E-Mail to pass ID's and pin info. Extra steps when not sending to others but works well.

Agree on the docs. Chris did a very nice job overall.

See up-thread, 55-57 for sharing. Fully supported, although a tad clunky IMHO having to go through E-Mail to pass ID's and pin info. Extra steps when not sending to others but works well.
I used to have this really cool feature in another app that used Dropbox services to exchange data in real-time between two mobile devices, then Dropbox "dropped" the service.:(

A synchronization feature was built into the prototype for this app but was shelved for the time being. It may come back if the app becomes popular, but don't wait for it. ;)

A synchronization feature was built into the prototype for this app but was shelved for the time being. It may come back if the app becomes popular, but don't wait for it. ;)
Planning on iPad but then traveling with iPhone would be my usual routine and that would be easier if these devices were syncing data. Still planning on using it though, might bring along iPad+gps for a trip planned for April.

I used to have this really cool feature in another app that used Dropbox services to exchange data in real-time between two mobile devices, then Dropbox "dropped" the service.:(

Hmmm...I forgot about Dropbox! I used to use 1Password's option for syncing among multiple instances over Dropbox

I'm not sure how critical this is for my (anticipated) use cases. It almost feels like if synchronization isn't easy, I'd probably just keep everything on my iPad rather than mess around with moving trips between devices. (The rationale is that I don't need to see the entire trip on my phone or whatever in real time while I'm driving, and that I'm more likely to want to interact with the app while I'm stopped for charging.) Anyway I'm still looking forward to actually needing to use this app for a trip. :)

Bruce.

I just wanted to update on my use of EVTO, since I was one of the first to comment here. The app is working very well -- there are some quirks still being ironed out, but I think it will far surpass the capabilities and utility of other planners currently available.

The basic version is very usable and does a good job of occasional trip planning. The Pro version will be extremely useful for me on longer trips, where I have overnight stays, which are a definite part of the planning process. The upgrade price of the Pro version is extremely reasonable, even for a skinflint like me.

The best part of this, of course, is that weather is included. That is more meaningful than it first appears -- remember that the other planners not only make you enter a wind speed manually, but that wind speed is carried over for every bit of your trip. If the wind dies or picks up during the day, or if you change direction on the route, that weather correction is no longer valid. EVTO makes the correction throughout the trip, and you can update it at any time.

Agree, this looks like it is going to be an awesome planning app. I will be looking forward to refinements and enhancements going forward. Haven't tried it on a trip yet but will do so in the coming weeks and report back. Keep up the excellent work and kudos on the pricing!

It almost feels like if synchronization isn't easy, I'd probably just keep everything on my iPad rather than mess around with moving trips between devices

Hopefully I didn't give the impression it wasn't easy. It is, it's just not a push button option (Air Drop would be nice, hint, hint). It's just that multiple steps are involved. It's kind of like talking to yourself via mail ;)

• Funny
Reactions: bmah