Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see why an out and back trip isn't just treated as a single trip with a waypoint in the middle. That would make the most sense. It was very frustrating trying to figure out what the app was doing.

Because it's more than that. You may want or need to have different SOC values between legs, say if reserving charge i.e. miles for local driving at, in your case, a destination where charging isn't possible. It wasn't intuitive to me at first, and my skimming the Fine Manual and diving in wasn't a good idea. Once you've done one or two trips, it makes sense. Can't skip the docs with EVTO, and even then it took rereading a few key sections to get it right, at least for me :)

I suppose its naive to hope that a very useful app like this could be implemented as a native app on the Tesla itself (like Calendar?)? Now that would be enormously useful!!

Personally I'd rather not have to sit in the car with its slow interface to do trip planning. Besides, it's not necessary; All waypoints can be transferred to your calendar and from there to the Tesla. From the extensive documentation:

"One of the most useful features of the EVTO application is the ability to integrate the trip waypoints into your mobile devices calendar. From here, if you have your mobile devices calendar synchronized to the Tesla, each waypoint will become a route-able destination in the cars navigation system. You will not have to enter any destinations and this effectively provides waypoint support for the Tesla navigation system. Note this is a Pro feature."

Now, if Tesla wants to buy him out or license the app... :)

Minor bug. I am planning a trip that extends over a 7 day period using the Continuation Trip feature. For one segment at Zion National Park, I start off at Springdale UT with 95% charge with destination Kanab UT with 20 mile reserve and NO charging available, the battery icon shows 79%/70% representing the overall battery charge (79%) and the 20 mile reserve for driving around Kanab (9%). The next segment corresponding to the next day's drive from Kanab, the summary states "charge to 79%" in spite of NO CHARGER being set instead of the 70%. Not a big deal but it does throw off the next segment a bit.

AirDrop would be better at some point.
You are forgetting your Android friends. ;)

But like I stated above, I did have something prototyped for this but it was getting too complex for all the other stuff that I need(ed) to get done so I punted with what we have today. It's on the long range plan to provide something like this with a more "universal" provider.

Personally I'd rather not have to sit in the car with its slow interface to do trip planning. Besides, it's not necessary; All waypoints can be transferred to your calendar and from there to the Tesla. From the extensive documentation:

"One of the most useful features of the EVTO application is the ability to integrate the trip waypoints into your mobile devices calendar. From here, if you have your mobile devices calendar synchronized to the Tesla, each waypoint will become a route-able destination in the cars navigation system. You will not have to enter any destinations and this effectively provides waypoint support for the Tesla navigation system. Note this is a Pro feature."

Now, if Tesla wants to buy him out or license the app... :)
I would not want to ONLY use it in the car – what I envision is a system that could be used from the car, from a phone, or from a desktop, all working with the same Cloud-based data such as your routes and trips. (And of course if the car implementation was through a web app the car is atrocious web browser would have to be fast enough to keep up.)

I guess it really sounds to me like this, or something similar, is what Tesla SHOULD be providing in the car. Hint?

Nice app... I was playing around with it tonight on my iPad -- and found a bug (perhaps this is fixed in the pending iOS update?)

I have a '13 S60, which had 208 rated when new. But I now get 192 rated on a 100% charge (66k Miles and just shy of 4 years...). On the car info, I entered 92% for the battery life setting.

However, in the trip details screen, it shows a starting RM of 211 -- so it appears the battery life setting isn't correct (and the S60 initial rated range is a bit off also...)

I bought the subscription and multi-trip upgrades. There are a variety of fatal problems (e.g., lockup) and I'm having trouble with an out/back trip. The app failed to find a route from Sausalito to Weaverville and then locked up. This clearly has a lot of potential, but it's not quite ready for prime time on iOS.

What's the best way to get support? Email or posting here?

IMG_0998.jpg

I bought the subscription and multi-trip upgrades. There are a variety of fatal problems (e.g., lockup) and I'm having trouble with an out/back trip. The app failed to find a route from Sausalito to Weaverville and then locked up. This clearly has a lot of potential, but it's not quite ready for prime time on iOS.

View attachment 219128

Works for me?:

IMG_1115.PNG
Hold on, just saw you said out and back...

Reran and it still works here. What steps did you take?

IMG_1116.PNG

IMG_1117.PNG

Last edited:

View attachment 219128

Email. The app did go through beta testing, Not all devices and not all aspects were covered, but it is pretty solid.

I had issues when I first installed, too, but they either resolved themselves, or were resolved by email discussions.

Help get this app going -- it is worth it.

However, in the trip details screen, it shows a starting RM of 211 -- so it appears the battery life setting isn't correct (and the S60 initial rated range is a bit off also...)

On my iOS version 1.0 app, setting my 2014 battery at 96% to account for degradation does not change how many rated miles the app assigns me at the start of the trip.

I will review these this week. I think the underlying calculation are correct but it's very possible I have the wrong RM stored and also don't take into effect battery degradation on the Trip Details panel, but do so in the optimization.

I have a question for you two, and others too. Instead of stating Rated Range (remember the app does Imperial and Metric) should we use another term like Altered Range to indicate it is RR offset by degraded battery? I am pretty flexible here and will probably get back a lot of different answers but lets see what you all think.