Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying sound Episode 453

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one has been bugging me for months. There is something loose somewhere around my center console area that “rolls” every time I accelerate or corner. It sounds like a small pebble rolling over hard plastic and it’s obviously traveling for a distance because it goes for a few seconds. If I didn’t know better I’d say it was a pebble on the floor of the passenger area. It needs very little effort to trigger it, even moderate acceleration or cornering.

I’ve got the 3D mats and I’ve cleaned the car obsessively, and checked under the seats as much as possible. I even blew out under the seats with my car dryer. No joy, it keeps coming back at random.

Are there any obvious hard surfaces I am missing? Is it possible something fell into the rear HVAC ducts? Loose screw under the seat? Free range battery cell?

Suggestions welcome.

Something in the rear hvac duct would be my guess. It's a nice flat, long plastic runway for anything hard to roll around and annoy the driver. Hopefully no one uses this information for ill purposes ;)

That being said, getting it out is going to be a bear. You could try a cheap amazon boroscope to see if you can identify the object, and then maybe a coat hanger with duct tape on the end to retrieve it. Otherwise, you'd have to pull out the center console. Good luck!

I’ve been successful by vacuumIng the vents for larger marbles.
On another occasion, I had a similar tricky noise that turned out to be one of the small magnet sphere that my kids were playing with and that landed in the rails for the seats. Check those rails also.

I know this is an old thread, but I've got the same issue (annoying little rolling sound when turning left/right and accelerating/decelerating...); glad I finally did a search for it ("something rolling around under my seat"). The description of something in the vent makes total sense. I'll do some hard left turns and gentle stop so whatever it is will be closer to the center console and then I'll try to vacuum it out. Fingers crossed but glad to see I wasn't the only one with this issue.

I know this is an old thread, but I've got the same issue (annoying little rolling sound when turning left/right and accelerating/decelerating...); glad I finally did a search for it ("something rolling around under my seat"). The description of something in the vent makes total sense. I'll do some hard left turns and gentle stop so whatever it is will be closer to the center console and then I'll try to vacuum it out. Fingers crossed but glad to see I wasn't the only one with this issue.
Cant you just park on a steep incline?

This one has been bugging me for months. There is something loose somewhere around my center console area that “rolls” every time I accelerate or corner. It sounds like a small pebble rolling over hard plastic and it’s obviously traveling for a distance because it goes for a few seconds. If I didn’t know better I’d say it was a pebble on the floor of the passenger area. It needs very little effort to trigger it, even moderate acceleration or cornering.

I’ve got the 3D mats and I’ve cleaned the car obsessively, and checked under the seats as much as possible. I even blew out under the seats with my car dryer. No joy, it keeps coming back at random.

Are there any obvious hard surfaces I am missing? Is it possible something fell into the rear HVAC ducts? Loose screw under the seat? Free range battery cell?

Suggestions welcome.
Plz check my thread I LOVE my MSP but................

M