TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Another Bet Against Tesla Goes Bust - Forbes

Discussion in 'News' started by callmesam, Sep 16, 2013.

1. callmesam

callmesam Member

Tesla promised this past spring that before summer was through, it would have 18 of its high-speed Supercharger stations up and running, allowing longer-distance travel for more owners of its Model S sedan. And just last week, with the last days of the season disappearing off the calendar, the folks at Green Car Reports bet that the company would fail to make its self-imposed deadline. Six days ago, with only half the locations officially open, the bet seemed like a decent one. But the company again proved the doubters wrong.

Another Bet Against Tesla Goes Bust As The Company Draws A 21 - Forbes

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Def different since the OP article points to an article outlining how Tesla actually has made the commitment, whereas Autoblog says just the opposite.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No question about the commitment to build, but question whether they'll meet the deadlines. We all know that Tesla's definition of seasons is much more flexible than those we normally refer to.....doesn't mean they won't deliver; I believe 100% that they will but there's been enough occasions where Tesla have proven to be overly-optimistic on dates.

5. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

As an astronomer, I can tell you that the definition of seasons is quite precise - no flexibility. The beginning and end of each season occurs when the apparent position of the sun crosses the solstices and equinoxes. Very easy to determine, even years in advance.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Did Tesla say they would open up 18 additional Supercharger locations by end of summer or have 18 open up by end of summer?

7. texex91

texex91 Banned

I think if 18 are open or 8, the fact that they have ID'ed the locations, and are moving forward with them is the key. It's wonderful to have the SC, but right now Tesla needs to focus on hitting it's quarterly numbers for the street and it's European push. They also need to focus on quality control coming out of Fremont. The SC's will come, and there are things which Tesla doesn't control (building permits, land or lease agreement time frames, construction delays, etc).

Wall Street cares about Tesla's profit and production numbers--not if they built all of their super chargers on time.

I think getting wrapped up on which day summer ends or if they built half or not isn't really critical. They will get them built and it's a nice thing to have. They are a auto manufacturer, and need to focus on pumping out production--which shareholders really care about (not saying the SC is not important it is--just not as important as numbers right now).

8. dsm363

I agree. We've seen articles like this from David Nolan in the past so not too surprising. They may not be hitting their loft goals but goals are contractual obligations. If they promised 18 and delivered 5 or something then yes, they need to work on their projections but coming up a few locations short by a few weeks is virtually meaningless.

9. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I think that it's wrong to blame Tesla for not respecting precisely deadlines (that are also self-established). It's not easy to install a network in a big Country like the USA. Main thing is that Tesla is working to realize the Supercharger network.

10. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Guess what gang...
    TM is poised to Draw 21 again.

Currently my count, Officially Opened SC Stations: 22.
    Currently my count, Officially Opened and Operational SC Stations: 25.

This Week's New Inductees.
    Orange, FL Opens 9-17
    Glenwood Springs, Co, probably opens Thurs. or Fri.
    Darien, CT Southbound, is Operational

Uhm, Saturday is Sept. 21, Vernal Equinox (end of Summer).
    Go and Enjoy your local ribbon cutting!!!

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Ah: but I have to disagree. I'd say 180º of flexibility. That is, 182.x days of it. You see.....I really and truly can't find anywhere....any reference to whether TM was referring to northern or southern hemisphere summer...... :)

12. Benz

Benz Active Member

Indeed, first things first, set the priorities right.

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tell that to anyone who didn't get their car delivered on the date they were expecting it. ;-)

On a more serious note, companies make promises all the time so I think it's good if the market and the media hold them to their promises. No reason why Tesla should get a free pass and I doubt they would expect one.

14. bonnie

Did I read a different article on the OP link? It says Tesla MADE their commitment.

15. dsm363

#15 dsm363, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    I believe all Tesla did was put dots on a map with terms like Summer, fall, 2014...etc
    That does indicate their plans but was there ever a statement 'Tesla promises all stations on this map will be up by this time'. Seemed more like a stated goal, not a concrete promise but see how some took it as that.

16. bonnie

Whether it was a concrete promise or not is a moot point. Tesla made the commitment. Here is what the article actually says, if you follow the link:

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I wasn't saying that Tesla did or didn't make their commitment; just that I do think it's ok (and even positive) for us to hold companies to their promises.

18. bonnie

Fair enough. It's just that this thread is making me slightly bonkers. The article is about how Tesla met their commitment. And all the comments are about how it's okay if they didn't. It's like I read a completely diff article.

I'll go drink more coffee now.

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Probably because two articles were linked in the OP....maybe folks read the first one and not the second?

20. Benz

Benz Active Member

Both articles are different, I would say.