Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another CPO question....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im supposed to take delivery of my MS tomorrow. The service center is 3 miles from my house, so I went and checked the car out. (I've been waiting 57 days since my deposit, but that's another story) Most of the exterior looks good except:

1) What is the minimum acceptable tire tread at the time of delivery? In other words, one of the tires is almost bald and another is pretty bad, what is acceptable for me to ask the to replace on a due bill?

2) Road rash on wheels, do they take care of that? I took some pics:
Imgur
Imgur
And one of the car because Im so damn excited! Imgur

Your car is NOT a CPO. It's a used car w/ a Tesla warranty. As such, they don't recondition anything cosmetic unless you make it a requirement for the sale.

Above all else, get EVERYTHING in writing. I can't stress that last part enough

Im supposed to take delivery of my MS tomorrow. The service center is 3 miles from my house, so I went and checked the car out. (I've been waiting 57 days since my deposit, but that's another story) Most of the exterior looks good except:

1) What is the minimum acceptable tire tread at the time of delivery? In other words, one of the tires is almost bald and another is pretty bad, what is acceptable for me to ask the to replace on a due bill?

2) Road rash on wheels, do they take care of that? I took some pics:
Imgur
Imgur
And one of the car because Im so damn excited! Imgur
nope, as is...
bought a cpo 10/2018, under the cpo program, believe its "used" now....
my tires were pretty worn an had curb rash on 2 rims...
along with a few dings/scratches....
pretty much the mechanics are checked but Tesla doesn't do much when its cosmetic...
congrats by the way!!

I heard recently Tesla was offering a free upgrade to 21” rims on inventory cars.
As a side note when I was looking for my Tesla Used Car last week I searched on EV-cpo and it seemed that every P85D I looked at that listed location as CA had 21” rims, but other locations around the nation had a mix of other rims.
On the P85D I’m in the process of buying it appears from the photos that the rims and tires may be brand new. The car I’m buying has a fair number of chips and scratches in the front paint so maybe all the rims were curved so badly they just replaced them, but again all the P85Ds I saw in CA had 21” rims and photos seemed to show the tires brand new with those little rubber feelers still sticking out.

I heard recently Tesla was offering a free upgrade to 21” rims on inventory cars.
As a side note when I was looking for my Tesla Used Car last week I searched on EV-cpo and it seemed that every P85D I looked at that listed location as CA had 21” rims, but other locations around the nation had a mix of other rims.
On the P85D I’m in the process of buying it appears from the photos that the rims and tires may be brand new. The car I’m buying has a fair number of chips and scratches in the front paint so maybe all the rims were curved so badly they just replaced them, but again all the P85Ds I saw in CA had 21” rims and photos seemed to show the tires brand new with those little rubber feelers still sticking out.

The pictures almost always seem to be misleading or non-existant. The reply that I got from everyone about the damage on the wheels, (besides the rockstar advisor I found) was that "You saw what you were buying with the pictures that were provided." Meanwhile, there was 1 picture of any of the wheels, and it was of one of the good wheels. So, I did not see the rash on the wheels until it showed up on my doorstep. That said, even my advisor said that Tesla won' take care of the smaller issues with the wheels. If there are big issues with them you can refuse delivery and get your money back. Or, they can fix them for you. Given the level of rash on these wheels, I'm not super concerned about it. Although I wish they were perfect, this is a used car.

So inquiring minds want to know....what's the story behind the 57 days....?
I plan on doing a full write up at some point. I wanted to get through the entire saga to give a complete picture. Still on schedule to pick the vehicle up at 2PM today. Hoping there won't be any Due Bill items, or anything serisouly wrong with the car once I start driving it full time. I'll probably wait a week or so of driving it to get a good idea of how my CPO experience really went.

I bought my CPO 2015 Model S just before they stopped fixing "cosmetic" issues. An argument can be made that tires are a "safety" item. I pressed my sales advisor very firmly that I would not accept mismatched tires on my CPO car.

My pre-owned inspection sheet showed one tire "repaired" due to low remaining tread. They tried to replace just one tire. I followed up with him relentlessly on this, insisting that he replace tires as a pair, as stated in the owner's manual.

Verbiage I sent to my service advisor.
Your very own Tesla Model S Owner's Manual states: "Ideally, you should replace all four tires at the same time. If this is not possible, replace the tires in pairs, placing the new tires on the rear. Always balance the wheel after replacing a tire".

The vehicle must have tires that have pairs that match in terms of Manufacturer, model, tread pattern, age (manufactured date), AND tread depth. Anything less is unacceptable.

In the end, they relented and put four new tires on the car for me. Good luck.

To answer your question, they called 3 mm tire tread too low, and we set to replace it. The remaining tires for me were 5.2mm to 6.0 mm, new tires should be 7.9 mm (10/32 inch).

Don't believe they will fix curb rash on the current no "cosmetic" CPO plan, but make sure they are not cracked.

Why do people keep saying its not a CPO but a used car with a Tesla warranty? What would make it a CPO car in your eyes?

The Tesla standard is lower than some other makes with only a mechanical inspection but so what? BMW don't make a used car "New" - they just meet what they consider acceptable to sell it to their own self declared standard. Tesla do the same. The difference between a used car and a Tesla car is that Tesla have checked it meets their minimum standards, its not been blacklisted, the spec detailed is correct, it has up to date software, any recalls have been done etc etc. If there's a mechanical issue they will address.

And Tesla actually include in their data stream a flag such as [ CPORefurbishmentStatus: "Complete" ]

Bit off topic - the tyres should be fit or purpose so not illegal but what a minimal depth is I wouldn't know.

Just a follow up: I went to the delivery and they didn’t say anything about the tires, so I pointed out that they were below the 4mm spec. (I brought a tire gauge with me) the service manager, the service tech, and the delivery guy were all super cool about everything. One of the rear tires was about 2mm, the other rear tire was right at 4mm. They took it back to service and determined that both tires would need to be replaced. So it goes into service next week to get replacement wheels and alignment. I couldn’t have been more happy about everyone at the Cincinnati dealership/service center.

Other than the tires, and the small rash on the wheels the car is in fantastic shape. It sometimes doesn’t connect to my key when I get close, is that common? In other words, I walk up to the car and the handles done present themselves. It does connect at some point, just seems to be a delay about 20% of the time.

Just a follow up: I went to the delivery and they didn’t say anything about the tires, so I pointed out that they were below the 4mm spec. (I brought a tire gauge with me) the service manager, the service tech, and the delivery guy were all super cool about everything. One of the rear tires was about 2mm, the other rear tire was right at 4mm. They took it back to service and determined that both tires would need to be replaced. So it goes into service next week to get replacement wheels and alignment. I couldn’t have been more happy about everyone at the Cincinnati dealership/service center.

Other than the tires, and the small rash on the wheels the car is in fantastic shape. It sometimes doesn’t connect to my key when I get close, is that common? In other words, I walk up to the car and the handles done present themselves. It does connect at some point, just seems to be a delay about 20% of the time.

Is the key in your pocket? I keep the key in the same pocket as my phone with a self-closing (e.g. magnetic) flip case. I find that if the bottom of the key (the flat side) is pressed against the phone case, the key can't be detected by the car (e.g. doors won't present, message "key not detected" shown on IC). If I turn the key around the other way (e.g. the bottom is facing away from my phone), it works fine.

The magnetic field seems to affect the functionality of the fob.

Is the key in your pocket? I keep the key in the same pocket as my phone with a self-closing (e.g. magnetic) flip case. I find that if the bottom of the key (the flat side) is pressed against the phone case, the key can't be detected by the car (e.g. doors won't present, message "key not detected" shown on IC). If I turn the key around the other way (e.g. the bottom is facing away from my phone), it works fine.

The magnetic field seems to affect the functionality of the fob.

I keep it in the opposite pocket as my phone, but I will start putting the flat side out and see if that helps.

So they replaced my back tires.
I bought my CPO 2015 Model S just before they stopped fixing "cosmetic" issues. An argument can be made that tires are a "safety" item. I pressed my sales advisor very firmly that I would not accept mismatched tires on my CPO car.

My pre-owned inspection sheet showed one tire "repaired" due to low remaining tread. They tried to replace just one tire. I followed up with him relentlessly on this, insisting that he replace tires as a pair, as stated in the owner's manual.

Verbiage I sent to my service advisor.
Your very own Tesla Model S Owner's Manual states: "Ideally, you should replace all four tires at the same time. If this is not possible, replace the tires in pairs, placing the new tires on the rear. Always balance the wheel after replacing a tire".

The vehicle must have tires that have pairs that match in terms of Manufacturer, model, tread pattern, age (manufactured date), AND tread depth. Anything less is unacceptable.

In the end, they relented and put four new tires on the car for me. Good luck.
But, they refused to do an alignment afterwards without me paying for it... The manual states they should "check alignment after replacing tires" They test drove it and said that qualifies as "checking" the alignment. Not super happy about that, but it isnt a huge deal.

So they replaced my back tires.

But, they refused to do an alignment afterwards without me paying for it... The manual states they should "check alignment after replacing tires" They test drove it and said that qualifies as "checking" the alignment. Not super happy about that, but it isnt a huge deal.

If the tire wear was uneven then I would have pressed them to do it for free. That's what I did to the "CPO" I picked up last year.

Also, the car came with 1 remote but I insisted they give me a second one. Made them put it on a Due Bill.