Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Crash..... :'(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except in the case of last week it wasn't positive publicity, and they lost about $2B in market cap and reputation might have been harmed. I'm still catching crap from people about my Tesla that catches fire. Maybe they should spend some money educating people.

These other accidents are just part of owning a car (as was the fire--just press and shorters decided to have a field day with it). At the end of the day the general public may or may not care.

I tell people that I now keep extra marsh mallows in the car... Just in case...

:)

(I'm still having a hard time believing it is steel as was reported.) It took a big hunk of something to finally get around to doing significant battery damage which, like seeing bad wreck pictures where all MS occupants came out ok, is another good data point.

I have seen the empty battery cases at the factory (obviously could not photograph), and believe me, they look like military hardware. They are definitely steel, and the firewalls were evident. The Kent, WA incident truly was a freak accident. I don't think we will see another fire for a long time.

They are definitely NOT steel. They are aluminum. Not sure why people keep saying it's steel. It's not. Perhaps it's the green-tinged coating that the casing is painted with? If you just think about it logically, 1/4" steel battery casing would add way too much weight to the car.

duty_calls.png

:)

I have seen the empty battery cases at the factory (obviously could not photograph), and believe me, they look like military hardware.

I thought the same thing when I saw them at the factory -- looked like vehicle or tank armor. I was told they were steel when I went with my buddy to take the tour and to pick up his car. On the tour I took when I got my car, I was told they were aluminum.

Maybe select pieces are steel, but if assuming 1/4 inch plate and 54 square feet of area (just bottom plate) then:
Aluminum (3.530lb per sq ft of 1/4 inch plate): 190 lbs
Steel (10.2 lb per sq ft of 1/4 inch plate): 550 lbs

Well, if someone tests the bottom of their battery with a magnet, then we will know if it is Aluminum or Steel.

GSP

PS. I like the accident reports. They are real world validation of the world's safest car.

Are we talking about the battery casing or the underside of the car? I was thinking about the underside of the car...

The battery casing with the battery in it is the underside of the car, thusly why the aluminum is 1/4" thick and not standard 1 mm, 1/2 mm thick sheet aluminum. There isn't a secondary 'skin' between the world and the battery casing as doing so would add weight to the car.